Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 12:11 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times

Advertisements

I had my oil changed yesterday and they did a check on my battery, (I have a 2013 Honda CRV, AWD with the 2.4L 4 cylinder btw).

They showed me the print out of the battery machine they used to check it, it was showing my battery had 375 amps , out of 550, and they told me I need to replace it right now. they wanted $180 for a battery, but I told them I would get one on my own, so I go to check the different auto places.

I went to Autozone and they tell me my car takes a 410 cold cranking amp battery, and they said if my battery is at 375, it still has plenty of life left in it, so Im not sure who to believe.

Ive never had any trouble with the car starting, even on cold mornings in the 20s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2019, 12:14 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
The battery is almost 7 years old, if it is original. It might be nearing the end of its life. If you live in an area that gets gold, your battery should be replaced. If the card takes longer to start or it doesn’t seem to spin as fast, that’s a clue.

Sounds like the oil change place is wanting to make a quick sale.

Old 11-09-2019, 12:25 PM

656 posts, read 1,375,303 times
Get an Interstate and put it in yourself. $130 max and will last at least 3 years depending on climate and usage

Old 11-09-2019, 12:44 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,248,699 times
Listen to autozone in regard to the CCA cause they are familiar with the local weather; we here are not, cause we don't know. And the definition of cold is subjective. (E.g., I personally do not think it is cold till the temps is below zero and then it is confortable.)

However, a seven year old battery is pushing it in battery age, and if you want to feel safe, get a good battery and replace the old one. Interstate is ok, but not any better than a half dozen others on the market.

Old 11-09-2019, 12:51 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
The battery is almost 7 years old, if it is original. It might be nearing the end of its life. If you live in an area that gets gold, your battery should be replaced. If the card takes longer to start or it doesn’t seem to spin as fast, that’s a clue.

Sounds like the oil change place is wanting to make a quick sale.
The car starts very fast, not sluggish or slow at all. They said I could leave it with them to recharge on their slow charger, that has worked other times when I have done it.

Old 11-09-2019, 12:54 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,989,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post

However, a seven year old battery is pushing it in battery age, and if you want to feel safe, get a good battery and replace the old one. Interstate is ok, but not any better than a half dozen others on the market.
If as stated - battery is 7 years old - get a new one.

The name of brand is meaningless. There are basically 3 companies that make all of the car batteries.

Get one with the best warranty.

Old 11-09-2019, 01:00 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,096 times
I buy my Interstate batteries at Costco. They have a 3 year replacement warranty. So basically every 3 years you can have a new battery as long as you don't let it expire. The price is also cheaper than buying Interstate batteries from other dealers.

Old 11-09-2019, 01:32 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,737,232 times
7 years old battery is at the end of its useful life. Replace it.

Old 11-09-2019, 02:17 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times
Winter is coming so everyone reverse your cars battery so the heat comes on instead of the air conditioning. Joke

Old 11-09-2019, 02:19 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,653,525 times
Like others said, at 7 years probably getting towards end of its life and way car service is priced anymore you might be ahead of game to get new one now. Cold weather will give you the biggest clue.

Last winter I needed new battery. Bit of sticker shock at current prices. Mine had went close to decade, so...

Anyway I went to TSC as I had good luck with their Exide batteries over the years. They had stopped carrying Exide and had their own Traveler and some Hecho En Mexico cheaper line battery. The Traveller still might be relabeled Exide for all I know, just with shorter warranty. Despite what website said they were out of Traveler in size I wanted, so found biggest Hecho En Mexico battery they had that I could stuff in battery box. Still $90. Been about a year and still doing fine. I dont expect it to last 7 year, if I get 3 year out of an "economy" battery figure I am doing good. I just really needed a battery and havent had much luck with Walmart or Autozone batteries and didnt want to go shopping all over town without research. Cause its all a gamble unless particular brand, etc has good rep without being sky high price. Strongly suggest you dont waste money on ultra premium batteries that cost as much as a used car. Middle grade battery usually safest bet if you gotta bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive