Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 10:58 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
He’s retired but very young. Outlaying such a large amount of cash is a massive amount of risk #1 because the funds aren’t earning money and #2 the possibly loss in value(this would happen even if financed)

This is where a lease wins in that you lock in all terms, you could still do a one pay lease and sometimes get better deals but either way the cash outlay is less and cost is predetermined
He’s not working, but living relatively lean. His income is such where getting loans for a 70k car like he is asking for in another thread may not be possible.
We do know the income he claims is low enough where he doesn’t pay for health insurance but relies on the government to pay for his medical expenses, so I can’t imagine it being enough to get a larger car loan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 08:51 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Great suggestion that the OP get a part or full time job at CarMax, that will ensure his estimated budget comes to fruition❗️
Not so much pushing the job. I am pushing the idea of flipping cars. The OP wants to drive cool cars. I live in an area with lots of cool cars. One co-worker drives around neighborhoods with wealthy people. He looks for a car that appears to have been sitting for some time. When he is ready he makes an offer on the car. Over a 3 or 4 year period he had acquired 6 awesome cars. He cleaned them up, drove them for a while and then flipped them.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:05 AM

6,557 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Not so much pushing the job. I am pushing the idea of flipping cars. The OP wants to drive cool cars. I live in an area with lots of cool cars. One co-worker drives around neighborhoods with wealthy people. He looks for a car that appears to have been sitting for some time. When he is ready he makes an offer on the car. Over a 3 or 4 year period he had acquired 6 awesome cars. He cleaned them up, drove them for a while and then flipped them.
What kind of cars are we talking about here?

Old 11-19-2019, 09:49 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
To me 36-39 months is a long time to be stuck with something I could get bored with. And many cars aren’t available with a lease.
How would you get bored driving so few miles a year? You'll hardly ever be in the car.

Old 11-19-2019, 02:52 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,349 times
What about looking at some swap leases where they don’t have a lot of miles left, you can get some really good deals on those.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:22 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
What kind of cars are we talking about here?
The cars I remember were a Porsche 944, BMW 3 series, some kind of Subaru, a Mustang, and a Tahoe.

Old 11-20-2019, 10:01 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
Your co worker could be losing boatloads on his car flipping and you wouldn’t know either way

Old 11-20-2019, 10:02 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:
The cars I remember were a Porsche 944, BMW 3 series, some kind of Subaru, a Mustang, and a Tahoe.
Uh that’s the list of awesome cars? Lulz

Old 11-21-2019, 06:48 AM

6,557 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Uh that’s the list of awesome cars? Lulz
I was expecting Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Bugatti, Rolls Royce, etc...but then people rarely would have those sitting outside, they’d be parked in garages.

Old 11-21-2019, 10:01 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
He’s not working, but living relatively lean. His income is such where getting loans for a 70k car like he is asking for in another thread may not be possible.
We do know the income he claims is low enough where he doesn’t pay for health insurance but relies on the government to pay for his medical expenses, so I can’t imagine it being enough to get a larger car loan.
That's based on income. If he has 5 million in assets and but low income from annuities or distributions he'd still qualify for welfare medical coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive