Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 09:29 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,856,511 times

Advertisements

Given the choice, which would you chose for a long drive and first time to drive rental vehicle?

I think the choices are Rav4, Outlander, Tuscon, Escape, CRV, possibly Sportage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 12:40 AM

1,962 posts, read 6,783,414 times
With a rental you are lucky if you get the same class that you reserved (watch Seinfeld on this!).

When you make the reservation, call ahead and make sure they have the same class car.

Last time with Enterprise we got lucky and we had a choice of three different CUV's and since I wanted to test the Tucson with the 2.0 engine for a potential purchase later, that is what I picked.

Old 11-15-2019, 01:02 AM

2,584 posts, read 1,856,511 times
That's exactly what I was thinking and hoping to do, and it is with Enterprise, who said a small CUV would be no problem, and like you, I might have a choice of them. And since I've not driven any in that class, it's all bonus tryout towards a future car purchase.

And as they will deliver it, the choice would be sigh unseen. I also was told that lately they have a lot of Ford Edges, in a different class I believe but would get my attention.

Old 11-15-2019, 01:02 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,690,524 times
I would rule out Sportage. Very uncomfortable, hard seats. Escape is fine but the 2.0 turbo and AWD had poor gas mileage. Don't think I would really want to drive a Mitsubishi.

Old 11-15-2019, 08:29 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,874,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
With a rental you are lucky if you get the same class that you reserved (watch Seinfeld on this!).
A "choice" ahead of time?

I got to Phoenix Skyharbor one time and they only had 6 vehicles left at rental agency. All the same.

Old 11-15-2019, 09:46 AM

13,260 posts, read 22,670,360 times
My parents had the Outlander as a rental last week when they were down here for a visit. It was spectacularly mediocre.

Old 11-15-2019, 11:13 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,570 posts, read 57,515,730 times
Get the one that has a transmission, not a CVT!!!

I was quite impressed with a recent "Hyundai Tucson" rental, too bad it was not a diesel.

I had requested a "Ford Focus" (for economy).

ZERO times this yr (30+ rentals) I have got the car I requested.

Old 11-15-2019, 05:24 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,257,160 times
Of the choices listed, I'd probably look for a CR-V or a RAV4, both of which are decent and comfortable. I got to a rental counter the other day, owing to a delayed flight, because I was absolutely puzzled by the car that was waiting for me, a Ford Ecosport. I never reserve that class, and had wanted a car not offered at that location, so went with the usual premium, which usually results in a Buick or better, or they'll give me a deal on a luxury car for about $10/day more on average.

They had no premium available so gave me the Ecosport, which I did not want at all. I had a choice of a Suburban, which is a pain in parking garages in that particular city, or an Altima. They did get me the newest Altima available and this one did have leather seats and reasonable equipment, not the usual rental spec. I took the Altima, yet had to ignore the CVT in that car that I despise, though I did average about 36mpg. I must have left an impression that I was not happy, since the agency called me about twelve hours later to let me know that I could come back and exchange for an Infiniti Q50 that they had located, but I kept the Altima, though I did drive it about 800 miles, reinforcing my opinion that I like the seats in the Altima, but would never buy one.

If you're considering a particular vehicle to purchase, many agencies, especially those that sell their own used cars, will try to accommodate your preferences, just let them know when you finalize the rental. If it's a local office, you can usually get closer to what you want, I have found, compared with the higher turnover and 24-hour operating airport locations. Enterprise has many different cars in the fleet, under all of their brands, so you should have a couple of options.

An Edge would be a class above the Escape, which I think is a Standard SUV at Enterprise, compared with the Intermediate which is the Escape, RAV, etc.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-17-2019, 06:47 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,986,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Given the choice, which would you chose for a long drive and first time to drive rental vehicle?

I think the choices are Rav4, Outlander, Tuscon, Escape, CRV, possibly Sportage.
Minivan.

Old 11-17-2019, 06:53 PM

20,867 posts, read 23,404,619 times
I would be surprised if you get what you reserve. I reserved a Rav4 and ended up with a Hyundai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive