Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 12:57 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
I live in LA and have a 20 mile (each way commute) on the freeway. Since we've gone off of daylight savings time, I've lost count of the cars I've seen without headlights/tailights. Some have their parking lights on, some seem to have their lights set on "auto" - but on neither of these settings do the tailights come on. Of course, there also those who have no lights on at all (it's not completely dark when they get in the car, but it gets dark before they get home). This is so dangerous. Are people just not aware?
What you're seeing is day runners that turn on even when the headlight switch is fully "off". Taillights even come on when lights are set to "auto", so that wouldn't be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2019, 02:32 PM

957 posts, read 2,022,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I recently got pulled over by a cop because I had no taillights on. A quick look showed the switch which I always keep on "Auto" was in the "Off" position. The daytime running lights were bright enough to illuminate my path but the rest of the lights were dark. The only explanation I could figure out was the switch had been turned on purpose or accidently when the dashboard was cleaned at the car wash almost three weeks prior.

My suggestions would be that cars so equipped have a blinking light on the dash that would show no headlights when the sensor reads the darkness outside and car washes should have a warning sign at the exit reminding drivers to check the setting. I can easily see a car wash being sued for having moved the switch if someone got rear-ended after such an event.

Every car handles this somewhat differently. I have a vehcile that will show "headlamps suggested" in the display if you have them off when auto would turn them on. Also, some vehicles (I think primarily GM) have the headlight switch spring loaded to auto. You have to turn them to "off" each time you start the car if you specifically want to turn them off. After that they revert to "auto" at the next startup. I know there are some that will say "I don't want my car to tell me when to turn on the lights, I want to do it myself", but I think the Set to Auto at Every Startup approach is a good one that more manufacturers should follow.

Old 11-22-2019, 03:18 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,345,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
The taillights come on with automatic headlights...
Absolutely. If there are no taillights, odds are just the running lights are on in the front.

Old 11-22-2019, 04:09 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
Every car handles this somewhat differently. I have a vehcile that will show "headlamps suggested" in the display if you have them off when auto would turn them on. Also, some vehicles (I think primarily GM) have the headlight switch spring loaded to auto. You have to turn them to "off" each time you start the car if you specifically want to turn them off. After that they revert to "auto" at the next startup. I know there are some that will say "I don't want my car to tell me when to turn on the lights, I want to do it myself", but I think the Set to Auto at Every Startup approach is a good one that more manufacturers should follow.
And sometimes a baby will fight you when you try to change a diaper... but...

Old 11-22-2019, 04:49 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,257,513 times
My lights on my Honda Pilot are always on “Auto” and the tail lights are on as well.

Old 12-01-2019, 02:56 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,871,819 times
Guilty. This from someone who adamantly runs lights on all day on my own car, but somehow missed this in a rental recently.

Because the dash was lit, some front lights were on with whatever setting it was at the time, lighted highway, high traffic area, got warnings when I left the lights on when turning it off as I do my own car, and it was a new car to me with controls I was unfamiliar with, I didn't even notice until someone flashed me.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:36 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,752,886 times
I was in FL once to visit my brother-in-law, long story short we got sick of sitting in his apartment all day, so we went to the airport and got a rental. We left one night the headlights turned on and I didn't think anything else about it until I got pulled over and removed from my vehicle for not having my taillights on, which apparently all the drug dealers in FL do.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:59 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
I was in FL once to visit my brother-in-law, long story short we got sick of sitting in his apartment all day, so we went to the airport and got a rental. We left one night the headlights turned on and I didn't think anything else about it until I got pulled over and removed from my vehicle for not having my taillights on, which apparently all the drug dealers in FL do.
Hides their own plates from the cop car’s plate reader and makes finding them in a chase harder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive