Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 06:45 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,667,203 times

Advertisements

Before I got my oil changed last week, it was at 40%, however, after changing the oil and driving for about a week so far, its now dropped to 30%.

Im not sure if this needed to be reset, but if it is saying my oil is at 30% life, its not accurate at all.Im also wondering how it determines the quality of the oil/ life, Im assuming it checks how dark it is..?

Seems to me it would have instantly noticed the brand new oil and went back to 100%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 07:02 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,404,955 times
It needs to be reset when it's changed.

Old 11-15-2019, 07:08 PM

45,571 posts, read 60,845,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Before I got my oil changed last week, it was at 40%, however, after changing the oil and driving for about a week so far, its now dropped to 30%.

Im not sure if this needed to be reset, but if it is saying my oil is at 30% life, its not accurate at all.Im also wondering how it determines the quality of the oil/ life, Im assuming it checks how dark it is..?

Seems to me it would have instantly noticed the brand new oil and went back to 100%.
What the oil monitor does is apply some algorithms to your driving style to determine remaining oil life. One of the components is mileage since the last oil change so you have to reset the monitor. There's no "testing" of the oil going on.

https://blog.amsoil.com/oil-life-mon...-need-to-know/

Old 11-15-2019, 09:33 PM

18,743 posts, read 7,649,474 times
Quote:

Im not sure if this needed to be reset,
It did.

Old 11-15-2019, 10:42 PM

61,949 posts, read 87,574,290 times
Quote:

The sensor should reset automatically. However, I would also check manually if the oil is indeed changed and clean.

If you don't know-how:
- Pull out the dip stick and wipe it off on a clean, white paper towel. Be sure the engine is cold (or has been off for at least ten minutes) before you check the oil. ...
- Insert the stick back into the pipe. ...
- Pull the dipstick out again and look at the film of oil on the end of the stick., or just clean it with the white paper towel. ...
- Put the dipstick back into the pipe.

Here is how to reset your oil sensor manually:
Instructions for different models:
http://knowhow.napaonline.com/how-to...-change-light/

Old 11-15-2019, 10:59 PM

11,168 posts, read 8,005,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The sensor should reset automatically. However, I would also check manually if the oil is indeed changed and clean.

If you don't know-how:
- Pull out the dip stick and wipe it off on a clean, white paper towel. Be sure the engine is cold (or has been off for at least ten minutes) before you check the oil. ...
- Insert the stick back into the pipe. ...
- Pull the dipstick out again and look at the film of oil on the end of the stick., or just clean it with the white paper towel. ...
- Put the dipstick back into the pipe.

Here is how to reset your oil sensor manually:
Instructions for different models:
How to Reset an Oil Change LightNAPA Know How Blog
I have to reset mine. Step on the brake, Turn the key to the on off position 4 times, and pat my head and rub my stomach for 19 seconds while whistling Dixie.

Old 11-15-2019, 11:46 PM

24,541 posts, read 26,094,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I have to reset mine. Step on the brake, Turn the key to the on off position 4 times, and pat my head and rub my stomach for 19 seconds while whistling Dixie.
Giggles

Old 11-16-2019, 05:52 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,416,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The sensor should reset automatically.

How would it do this, and what "sensor" are you talking about? Are there some cars that take an actual chemical sample of the oil and analyze it in their computers in order to tell precisely how much life the oil has left?

I've never heard of this. Are you just messing with us?

Old 11-16-2019, 09:12 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,667,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
How would it do this, and what "sensor" are you talking about? Are there some cars that take an actual chemical sample of the oil and analyze it in their computers in order to tell precisely how much life the oil has left?

I've never heard of this. Are you just messing with us?
That is what I assumed was going on, but apparently its just basing it off miles driven, so really its nothing better than the window sticker oil change places leave in the upper left hand corner of the windshield! LOL

Old 11-16-2019, 09:42 AM

2,174 posts, read 3,612,488 times
Quote:

Oil change facility was incompetent.

Failed to reset oil life indicator. The indicator is based on miles and often also on length of trips, how warmed up the engine, etc. It does not physically analyze the oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive