Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 04:29 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,276,215 times

Advertisements

https://advocacy.consumerreports.org.../evsurvey2019/

The survey, conducted by Consumer Reports (CR) and the Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS), shows that 63 percent of prospective car buyers in America have some interest in electric vehicles. Breaking this down, 31 percent would consider one for their next purchase, 27 percent would consider one at some point down the road, and 5 percent say they are definitely planning on buying or leasing one for their next vehicle. This later number would mark a big escalation in electric car purchases in the U.S., which made up about two percent of new car purchases in 2018.

“Automakers and dealers have made little to no effort to market electric cars in the U.S., and yet this survey shows that Americans have widespread interest in them,” says Shannon Baker-Branstetter, manager of cars and energy policy for Consumer Reports. “Car buyers across the economic spectrum are interested in electric cars, but automakers and dealers are not providing consumers with enough information and selection to meet this demand.”

Interest in electric vehicles goes beyond just wealthy consumers: 39 percent of potential buyers making more than $100,000 a year are considering an electric vehicle for their next purchase, but so are 39 percent of those making $50,000 to $99,999 a year and 31 percent of those making under $50,000 a year.

[...]
72 percent say automakers should provide more kinds of electric vehicles, including SUVs, pickup trucks and minivans.

Last edited by ZeApelido; 11-13-2019 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 04:36 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,276,215 times
In other words, looks like interest in buying EVs is picking up much faster than supply of good EVs.

Old 11-13-2019, 04:49 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,970,128 times
Only 5% are committed to buying an EV?
How many consumers committed to buying a gas guzzling truck or SUV?
Compare the two then we’ll talk.

I consider buying an EV every year. And every year I don’t actually buy one.

Old 11-13-2019, 05:03 PM

19,097 posts, read 27,685,875 times
That's until 3 or 4 kick ars electric trucks show up in the streets.....
Or, gas price hits $6 a gallon, or so.

Demand is always created, not "just appearing". A few fancy shows with EV roadster, good looking "affordable" model, promise of even more affordable one to come, continuous massousing of public interest with avalanche of "news" and even forum posts like this here - et voila, you got yourself "interest".

Old 11-13-2019, 05:14 PM

1,156 posts, read 944,500 times
The not so secret sauce is that range, utility and price have to come into alignment for EVs to take over. It's getting closer, but the affordable cars are tiny things like the Bolt and Leaf. Despite the 5 year cost of a Tesla = Camry argument, getting into a Tesla comfortably requires more financial ability than a Camry especially if you want color choices and Autopilot.

All the carmakers know it's going to happen and are certainly preparing but for the most part can't absorb the losses to push the bleeding edge the way Tesla has.

Old 11-13-2019, 05:25 PM

21,905 posts, read 25,231,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Only 5% are committed to buying an EV?
How many consumers committed to buying a gas guzzling truck or SUV?
Compare the two then we’ll talk.

I consider buying an EV every year. And every year I don’t actually buy one.
We'll see. Maybe 750,000 EVs out of however many, 16-18 million cars or whatever. They're a small but noticeable slice of the market. I'm not exactly dead set on it but I'd put it on at least even odds that the next purchase will be another EV.

The major problem is still just price. Getting enough battery capacity for significant range isn't cheap.

Old 11-13-2019, 05:25 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,767,264 times
Sure. Get me an EV with 300 mile range in below freezing weather with the ability to fully charge in less than 5 minutes at a charger with the same infrastructure as gas stations, and at a price of $30k and I'm in.

And let me know when the resale value of ICEs declines by 50%...

Old 11-13-2019, 05:28 PM

21,905 posts, read 25,231,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Sure. Get me an EV with 300 mile range in below freezing weather with the ability to fully charge in less than 5 minutes at a charger with the same infrastructure as gas stations, and at a price of $30k and I'm in.
Mine does.

~500 mile range. Stick an H in front of it and there's a number of options. It's why that's what mostly sells.

Old 11-13-2019, 05:28 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,441,949 times
But can the electric infrastructure handle it, were i live electric is expensive and if you’re adding a vehicle into the mix than your electric bill goes up every month. And we have had power outages when a severe thunderstorm hits, what then when you’re power is out for days oh i know invest more money into a 2 generators one for your refrigerator and one for the vehicle, unless you have a very expensive on demand generator powered by propane or natural gas. And they have to get the distance up for people driving in the north, and make the heater and defrost get to the same temperature as a ICE vehicle. Electric might be good for the south or west but not so good on a -40 windchill in Montana. Plus i want to charge as fast as it takes to fill up with gasoline and have the same distance as a ICE until then I’ll stick with my ICE. Because i know i can leave my grandchildren in the vehicle idling with the heat on in the winter or the ac in the summer and the temperatures will be the same, hot in winter cold in summer with no taking away how many miles i can go on the gas i have in the tank.

Last edited by easy62; 11-13-2019 at 05:42 PM..

Old 11-13-2019, 05:38 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,767,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Mine does.

~500 mile range. Stick an H in front of it and there's a number of options. It's why that's what mostly sells.
We're not talking about HEV (hepatitis E virus). Anyways, we're talking about pure EV.

I did drive a Volt the other day and it was fine. But you don't really get much extra range driving on the highway. It would have to use the gas engine too much. It's more useful in urban situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive