Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 04:27 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,836,816 times

Advertisements

When I see hybrids getting 50mpg with more than enough power for 99% of people - I tend to think fully electric vehicles sound pointless although it may indeed be where we wind up.

At 50mpg driving average mileage it only costs a few hundred bucks more to fuel a hybrid. Plus with a hybrid you have an unlimited driving range (gas stations) and no need to remember plugging up. So what’s the compelling argument for going fully electric?

And cars that can run 40-50 miles on battery power are already somewhat common...so why the burning desire to be fully electric? 40-50 miles covers daily driving for ~80% of people. An efficient ICE (they seem to continually improve) seems like the perfect compliment to the batteries.

Is it the environmental angle? The novelty of being fully electric?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2019, 04:59 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,296,514 times
The point of going full electric is margin for the car manufacturer, A fully electric car is cheaper to make and easier to make.

Old 11-25-2019, 05:24 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,836,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
The point of going full electric is margin for the car manufacturer, A fully electric car is cheaper to make and easier to make.
So how long until that margin is passed on to consumers?

If vehicles can become $5k cheaper - bring it on. It never seems to work out like that though.

Old 11-25-2019, 06:39 AM

4,011 posts, read 2,936,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
When I see hybrids getting 50mpg with more than enough power for 99% of people - I tend to think fully electric vehicles sound pointless although it may indeed be where we wind up.

At 50mpg driving average mileage it only costs a few hundred bucks more to fuel a hybrid. Plus with a hybrid you have an unlimited driving range (gas stations) and no need to remember plugging up. So what’s the compelling argument for going fully electric?

And cars that can run 40-50 miles on battery power are already somewhat common...so why the burning desire to be fully electric? 40-50 miles covers daily driving for ~80% of people. An efficient ICE (they seem to continually improve) seems like the perfect compliment to the batteries.

Is it the environmental angle? The novelty of being fully electric?
I've wondered that myself.

And for those of us who don't drive much (about 5000 miles a year), the added fuel mileage of a hybrid or diesel will never make up for the additional cost.

Old 11-25-2019, 07:03 AM

6,557 posts, read 11,182,971 times
I think some of the bigger picture goals is to be greener and use renewable energy. This isn't to say EV is the ultimate answer (vs. fuel cell) or if the net difference is really as big as most think. Simply responding to your question.

That said - anecdotally. I'm paying $6-$10 on "filling up" my EV vs. $40 for my ICE.

But your EV was so much more expensive so it offsets the gas savings - I guess that depends.... Compare a Model 3 against a Prius - sure. But compare a Model 3 against a BMW 3 series... not so much.

At the end of the day - it's not about what's "needed" (we're talking consumer products, after all. Do we really need 500HP in a car?). It's about having the option to choose from different cars.

Old 11-25-2019, 07:05 AM

11,901 posts, read 8,980,930 times
For today, I agree - good hybrid powertrains already increase MPGs by about 1/3, and they still use the existing fueling infrastructure, so are very convenient. I think they are the best product today for most consumers. We need more attractively priced products like the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry hybrids.

Electric vehicles though should be the long run solution. Fossil fuels won't be available forever, and climate change is a real and growing problem.

Old 11-25-2019, 07:07 AM

36,898 posts, read 38,810,969 times
Environmental angle, potentially much lower maintenance costs, and within a decade, potentially lower production costs for roughly the same vehicle. Hybrids are great, but one thing to recognize is that part of hybrids becoming as good as they are now is investment in the electric vehicle components. Improvements to batteries and motors benefit both hybrids and full EVs.

Old 11-25-2019, 07:10 AM

955 posts, read 2,001,959 times
Many people don't want to buy the type of hybrid that gets 50 MPG like a Prius or Ioniq or such. While the Camry and Accords might be a step in the right direction, they are still limitted in power, with low rolling resistance tires that don't handle very well. A Highlander hybrid gets 30 MPG. A Yukon 23. Those are still better than their gas only brethren, but as @OutdoorLover said, still burning a lot of fuel.

Old 11-25-2019, 09:49 AM

3,024 posts, read 4,971,666 times
I've come to the same conclusion as OP. Hybrids are currently in the best spot. I have a Honda Insight and I would love a hybrid Ford Transit.

In the future when the infrastructure and battery capacity is there, electric cars will take over, but I don't see their utility now.

Old 11-25-2019, 10:21 AM

3,253 posts, read 3,728,129 times
PHEV seems to be the optimal spot now because with ~50-80 miles of all electric range, most drivers can juice up at night in their own homes and still not have to worry about the poor electric charging infrastructure we have right now, but if the industry scales as I expect it will in maybe 10-20 years, then fully electric would be the next logical step.

Just my .02
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive