Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2019, 01:37 PM

9,838 posts, read 4,623,002 times

Advertisements

Too many people consider private lawns, grass and/or curbs legal and harmless parking which it is not. It is frequently illegal and cars/tires can leave some pretty extensive damage. Especially if the ground in wet/muddy. I've had to repair the small gullies and imprints cars and trucks leave and on several occasions and it can take more than trying to even them out with garden tools. I've actually had to go buy soil and grass seed for some. Along with mortar to repair the side walk curb.

When I'm driving with certain people they get miffed I take the time to look for a proper parking spot or park properly on a street or even someone's driveway. Very impatient but also ignorant of the repairs it generate which is somebody's time and effort. Especially if one actually drives on a lawn or curb grass. It's also an an insult to those who take their time to cut, weed and trim grass or kept up clean appearances.

Parking on someone's lawn, grass or curb is ignorant to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2019, 02:12 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,448,196 times

Old 11-29-2019, 03:32 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,186,339 times
Where do you live that someone would park on your lawn???

Old 11-29-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Where do you live that someone would park on your lawn???

Live in a busy neighborhood on a busy street. If I or neighbors have company, contractors, visitors etc a lot of regular street and driveway parking is taken. People either get aggressive getting to their parking spot or as stated park on the lawn, grass and/or curb(which town mandates we maintain). Then you have the pull to the side for cell phone talkers or where the heck am I crowd checking their gps.

Old 11-29-2019, 04:34 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I have never seen that as a problem, there is no shortage of street parking in area addition to larger driveways here. Still, I drive on my lawn once in a while and it hasn’t hurt it. Any time I load/unload something big and heavy like a piano or refrigerator I back my truck up across the lawn right up to the front porch. It leaves mashed grass tracks but they always disappear by the next day.

Old 11-29-2019, 04:37 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Where I live people park on their own lawn, because they have more vehicles than will fit on their driveway. I can't say I care for it, but it's their yard.

Old 11-29-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Where I live people park on their own lawn, because they have more vehicles than will fit on their driveway. I can't say I care for it, but it's their yard.

Exactly, It's their yard. But how about your yard/property without permission. And that another thing there are people that simply don't think about things like permission, handling other's property with care or the damage their vehicle can do.

As stated in the op actual damage has been repaired. There are patches of grass depending on the weather and location it's taken months to grow back or seed to grow. Repairing patches on an incline or hill are even more difficult because water tends to run off/by and not soak in as easy and the sun only hits it part of the day. The curbs with traffic vibration and rain run off to sewer can damage new repairs sometimes taking a second or even third attempt to get the mortar to dry enough. I had to start using bonding agents in the mix. But that's why grass parking is not as harmless as it seems.

Old 11-30-2019, 03:39 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
as Monty Python would say....and now for something completely different!

I am not proud of the many curbs that keep jumping out and attacking my tires and fender when I cut the corner to sharply or am NOT being attuned to the new street design. So yup...its not okay that this curbs assault my poor car and I am left to pay the cost of new tires or an alignment

Old 11-30-2019, 04:20 AM

208 posts, read 210,129 times
I live on a road that's VERY dark at night with no street lights. On either side of my driveway, about a foot onto the lawn I have a small light, that helps me find the driveway when I am coming home from work at night. The problem is, I have some degree of traffic on my road all night long, granted it's sparse late a night. People will come down to the point where I am and want to turn around, I have seen this happen once or twice during the day. They will back in and drive away on the road, which is what one is supposed to do. But when they back in they don't always hit the driveway (and it is plenty wide enough) straight on and run over one of the lights as they are backing. Needless to say I have replaced each light several times and it is frustrating. However I don't believe they are doing it maliciously but are just careless. Luckily the lights that I use only cost $1.00 a piece so I stock up when they come on sale in the spring. Still I understand your frustration. It's like people have little regard for other people's property.

Last edited by Demolitionman2; 11-30-2019 at 04:26 AM.. Reason: Not finished

Old 11-30-2019, 07:14 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
Leave a note on their car telling then to not park there again. If they do, call a tow company and the police if they are on your yard. This isn't rocket science people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive