Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 08:23 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times

Advertisements

There ought to be law against doing that to a Shelby Cobra.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 10:12 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
They turn ’49 Mercurys and Shelby Cobras into EVs, one Tesla carcass at a time

The march from ICE to EV continues one step at a time...
Jonathan Ward is brilliant ! I love following his builds. Turning vintage iron into EV modern rides is the future of hot rodding. I still would prefer a big block with a turbo or two , it is still cool.

Old 12-03-2019, 05:47 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,217,312 times
You can even send your classic E Type Jaguar back to them for conversion to an EV using the technology found in the I Pace.

Old 12-03-2019, 06:29 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Anything is possible. Well, OK, ALMOST anything. All it takes is time and money. LOTS of both.
Converting to electronic ignition? Nothing new there, I was removing points and condensers and installing electronic ignition way back in the 1970s.
Throttle body fuel injection? Readily available in kit form. A simple bolt on conversion.
Converting to battery power? No big deal, it was done long ago, using 36 VDC forklift motors and 6 Trojan T105 batteries. No, it wasn't very practical, but it worked. Control was by relays, not sophisticated electronic wizardry. There is something to be said FOR the "KISS Factor": Keep It Simple, Stupid!
Yes, I know, simplicity is old fashioned; sophisticated electronic wizardry is the only way to go these days. Even a golf cart (E Z Go) has an electronic brain. Don't mess it up, it will take a big chunk of $1000 to replace it (no, it is not repairable!). I used to work in a dealer's shop many years ago, and replaced a few of them. I remember it well.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:19 AM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
I would rather have those batteries go into solar systems.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:38 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,325,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Converting to battery power? No big deal, it was done long ago, using 36 VDC forklift motors and 6 Trojan T105 batteries. No, it wasn't very practical, but it worked. Control was by relays, not sophisticated electronic wizardry. There is something to be said FOR the "KISS Factor": Keep It Simple, Stupid!
These days it's simpler and easier to use properly created electronics. A friend of mine started a business doing just that and now supplies a lot of EV conversion shops: http://www.manzanitamicro.com/

Quote:
Yes, I know, simplicity is old fashioned; sophisticated electronic wizardry is the only way to go these days. Even a golf cart (E Z Go) has an electronic brain. Don't mess it up, it will take a big chunk of $1000 to replace it (no, it is not repairable!). I used to work in a dealer's shop many years ago, and replaced a few of them. I remember it well.
I know people that repair circuit boards, not replace them, though these days getting replacement circuit boards is often fairly cheap if you know where to look. If someone made it, someone else can repair it and probably does.

For example, my neighbor's Sony Bravia 55" flat screen TV went out last month. He went to buy a new one because they are cheap. I took the old one and determined that the picture board was out, as the power board and input board were still working. The picture board was listed at $350, which is about what a new TV would cost. BUT, I found a TV parts company online that sold warrantied rebuilt cards for $30 and put one of those in. Worked a champ and gave the TV to my BIL.

Old 12-03-2019, 08:12 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
LA Times ran that same article, interesting, too expensive for me and too electronics complicated for the backyard hot rodder.
But for the retired CPA that mostly wants a boulevard cruiser to take his wife out for ice cream in, it might be the ticket.

Old 12-03-2019, 08:32 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
They turn ’49 Mercurys and Shelby Cobras into EVs, one Tesla carcass at a time

The march from ICE to EV continues one step at a time...
We should point out that like Tesla's, these cars are the purview of people that don't need to rely on them as their exclusive mode of transport. IE, most Tesla's that I saw parked in the neighborhood (when I lived in a ritzy neighborhood) also had a suburban or ICE crossover parked in the driveway. The Tesla was for Dad to drive 12-35 miles to his job as a bigwig at one of the local tech firms. Because the Tesla isn't a solution (yet) for taking Westyn to her Gymnastics Tournament five hours away.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:01 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Oh, I'll bet it's just thriving.

More EV propaganda.

Old 12-03-2019, 09:12 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,325,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Oh, I'll bet it's just thriving.

More EV propaganda.

Ahh, more head in the sand from someone obviously worshipping the great god of gasoline. Why so threatened that you have to be this much of an ass?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive