Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 05:06 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,162,294 times

Advertisements

We'll probably be in the market in the 2030's.
By that time everyone will be in the game and they'll be a much more mature technology with many choices available.

It will not be my only car, so charging infrastructure is a non-factor outside of my garage.
200 miles (or less) of range is enough. No need to waste money on any more than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 10:02 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,274,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
How rare? Anomaly? This was 85 miles east in Kettleman City, CA...right off of the 5 freeway.

This is worse than a traffic jam because in a traffic jam you likely have alternative routes. You don't here. Makes you think twice about taking a Tesla (certainly on a holiday weekend) on a long trip, doesn't it?

https://www.facebook.com/shanon.stel...1275983794800/
Nope, no second thoughts here. In fact we already have a few more road trips being planned.

Old 12-02-2019, 01:34 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,489,771 times
This is what happens when you have poor electrical grid and environmentalist loonies running the government. All they had to do was chop down the trees near the power line to avoid have wild fires and won't have to do blackouts. I've never had rolling black outs here in the east coast. PSEG has to come out and cut the trees from power lines to ensure they don't care outages. There's no environmental law here that says we must avoid cutting trees.

Old 12-02-2019, 02:06 PM

36,883 posts, read 38,781,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
This is what happens when you have poor electrical grid and environmentalist loonies running the government. All they had to do was chop down the trees near the power line to avoid have wild fires and won't have to do blackouts. I've never had rolling black outs here in the east coast. PSEG has to come out and cut the trees from power lines to ensure they don't care outages. There's no environmental law here that says we must avoid cutting trees.
How are you connecting these things in your head? Also, the clearing of trees wasn't done because of budget expenditures, not so much environmentalist pushback. It's also one of several things they should have been doing over the last decade.

Old 12-02-2019, 02:06 PM

24,503 posts, read 17,956,220 times
I drive 225 mile trips in Vermont subzero temperatures. Cell phone service is not ubiquitous. Running out of battery in that condition is life-threatening. Until range improves in that weather or I have a lifestyle change where I’m not skiing, EV are totally off my radar screen.

I’d love to put a panel on my garage roof to charge an EV and run a mini-split to heat and cool my house as much as possible. Prices still haven’t dropped enough.

Old 12-02-2019, 02:54 PM

36,883 posts, read 38,781,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I drive 225 mile trips in Vermont subzero temperatures. Cell phone service is not ubiquitous. Running out of battery in that condition is life-threatening. Until range improves in that weather or I have a lifestyle change where I’m not skiing, EV are totally off my radar screen.

I’d love to put a panel on my garage roof to charge an EV and run a mini-split to heat and cool my house as much as possible. Prices still haven’t dropped enough.
That or you'll need to pony up to buy an EV that has well over 225 mile range that would allow you to drop a lot of range in adverse conditions. Model S Long Range would do it, but then that's a pretty large chunk of change.

Old 12-02-2019, 03:39 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,162,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
That or you'll need to pony up to buy an EV that has well over 225 mile range that would allow you to drop a lot of range in adverse conditions. Model S Long Range would do it, but then that's a pretty large chunk of change.
I'll just drive the other car and avoid all EV hassles that come with attempting to charge outside the home.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:26 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,410,738 times
Quote:
Looks like a flintstone station.... Or was it designed with that in mind???

Old 12-02-2019, 06:31 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,410,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
There's no environmental law here that says we must avoid cutting trees.
How about burying the cables, like the rest of the planet?????
This country was once top notch, now not so.... This is the only country where the average age is going down. And it wasn't the highest to start out with... Maybe folks should get a bicycle..... It is just as far..

Old 12-02-2019, 07:36 PM

7,719 posts, read 6,272,715 times
Quote:
In 20 years I will be age 105. I don't see an electric car in my future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive