Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 10:15 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times

Advertisements

Something electric car owners can do is tow a trailer with a gas powered generator behind so they can charge their cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2019, 10:33 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,557,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Something electric car owners can do is tow a trailer with a gas powered generator behind so they can charge their cars.
Like many couples, we are a two vehicle household. Our EV gets the vast majority of our commuting miles and our V8 SUV is used for infrequent long hauls and towing our camper. I don’t understand why this is so hard for people to grasp. It seems to be a very practical solution that would fit most households.

Old 12-03-2019, 11:22 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Yea, but what's this 5 year old EV you're putting up for sell? Does it include this trailer and generator?

Old 12-04-2019, 01:18 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I don't see that changing without a huge funding increase (likely by higher charging prices). A gas pump can fuel a car in what, 5 minutes? Meaning up to 12 vehicles an hour can fuel at one pump. VS one vehicle an hour on a charging station (or longer). You'll need to invest in huge charging lots, and lots and lots of chargers, and dramatically upgrade the electrical infrastructure if demand ever takes off for EVs. Which means lots of money. Lots of resources utilized. Lots of environmental impact...
Yes, infrastructure upgrades will be necessary. On the other hand:
- You are already getting 130 MPGe in a Model 3 which is far more than any ICE car
- The Model 3 is quicker than 95% of the cars on the road
- Greatly reduced air pollution
- Overall reduction in energy required (see 1st point above)
- overall energy cost where I live is 8-10 times cheaper for an EV versus ICE car

Old 12-04-2019, 01:29 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
In 20 years I will be age 105. I don't see an electric car in my future.
Yeah, it won't be long before they take your drivers license away. One fender bender on your record and that would be it. You should be shopping for an autonomous vehicle.

Old 12-04-2019, 01:57 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Which cult is that? I have owned an EV for half a year and have never been to a charging station. I charge it at night in my garage. What exactly am I rationalizing?
In order to do that you first have to buy a house. It would be a rare landlord that would let you install a charging station in an apartment building parking lot.

Most home chargers are 30 amps @ 220v., or 8 hp. If you charge for 8 hours, that's 64 hp-hours in the tank, which would top off most EVs. You can also buy 40 amp home chargers that are good for 11.5 hp. The Tesla supercharger requires a 480v. supply rated for 500 to 600 amps, and is beyond the capacity of home electrical services. On the upside, it will pump 27 hp-hours into the battery in only 5 minutes.

Old 12-04-2019, 03:16 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
the clearing of trees wasn't done because of budget expenditures, not so much environmentalist pushback....

CA has some of the highest electric rates in the country, they should have some of the best infrastructure in the country. The utility can't order a pizza without government approval and the profits are inline with other utilities across the nation. So where did the money go?

For starters you can't build a nuclear or coal plant in CA and they even trying to close some of their existing gas plants. They import a lot of power from other states which comes at a premium. On top of that you have expense of their expansive renewable energy mandates. Where this ties into the grid infrastructure is undoubtedly the government turned a blind eye to these infrastructure issues to keep rates from going off the charts.

Old 12-04-2019, 04:36 AM

838 posts, read 565,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I would like one as a second car, but the economics of it just does work out, not even close. The selection is too small right now, not many models to choose from. The only one I like is the Tesla Model S, the rest are just dog ugly and rather stupid looking.

For what the Model S costs, I can find something equally satisfying for much less. Maybe shortly in the future more models will come out at varying price points.
Same. I really liked the Cybertruck but they missed out on adding the falcon wings to make it more Delorean-y as that is what they were clearly aiming for, Also after the auto-pilot is added its well over $50k, I can find something far more comfortable for that price.

Old 12-04-2019, 05:08 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Like many couples, we are a two vehicle household. Our EV gets the vast majority of our commuting miles and our V8 SUV is used for infrequent long hauls and towing our camper. I don’t understand why this is so hard for people to grasp. It seems to be a very practical solution that would fit most households.

Why is it so hard for you to grasp that

#1 Not everyone want a EV.

Not everyone can afford owning two cars for short trip and long trips.
Not everyone can afford to buy a new EV
Not everyone can afford to buy a used EV and pay for the things that may break while they own it. If they buy a Tesla getting parts and DIY is very challenging as aftermarket parts are basically nonexistent. About the only thing you can get is a set of brake pads and a CV joint off Rockauto. I hate to try and order a factory manual. They probably won’t sell you one. That’s why I’ll never buy a Tesla.
Not everyone can install or have access to charging stations where they live
Electric cars are still limited in range. And I don’t want to plan my trip around the need to charge my car to get home. That’s another reason why I’m not getting one.

Old 12-04-2019, 05:30 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, but what's this 5 year old EV you're putting up for sell? Does it include this trailer and generator?
??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive