Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2019, 03:21 AM

1 posts, read 812 times

Advertisements

VIN is not shown in the car detail information, when I was looking for some used cars in Canadian webs. However, VIN is always shown in US webs.

are there any risks when people share the VIN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 05:38 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
Here in the U.S. potential buyers like to check the Carfax report to look for things like number of precious owners, accidents, and recalls. In some states all ads by dealers are required by law to show the VIN. Canada may just not have that’s requirement. There is Carfax in Canada, also free VIN reports from the Insurance Bureau of Canada, but there may not be any law requiring it to be shown. Unless the background is squeaky clean, the seller is most likely going to hide the VIN so it can’t be checked.

Old 12-11-2019, 07:21 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,000,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Clarke View Post
VIN is not shown in the car detail information, when I was looking for some used cars in Canadian webs.
Just ask for VIN number.

Craigs/list here does not show VIN number. Nor the private sales in newspaper.

Old 12-11-2019, 07:26 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,983,727 times
I have read that the VIN is hidden so people can't register a lien against the vehicle, or apply for a "lost title" or other VIN-dependent attempts at fraud.
Personally, I think those are stretches of the imagination. Has any of them ever really happened? Damifino!
I'm reminded of those private party ads where the seller holds their thumb over the license plate when they take a picture for the ad, or they scribble out the plate in the photo.I'm not sure what the fear is; I have never encountered a problem with the 50 or 60 vehicles I have sold in years past.
But, as the old sayings go; "Whatever trips yer trigger!" Or "floats yer boat". Or "Makes ya happy!" Or whatever...

Old 12-11-2019, 08:40 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,526,325 times
Most likely the same reason people cover the license plate

Old 12-11-2019, 09:12 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,000,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I'm reminded of those private party ads where the seller holds their thumb over the license plate when they take a picture for the ad
Folks from all over the world view any/all forums. Russians Chinese.

Who knows what nefarious actions these folks can dream up. Never mind locals.

Love when I see a Craigs/list ad with a stated telephone number. Folks from all over the planet can now call up and tell you that your Micro/soft computer is "infected" and for $159.00 US dollars - they can fix it.

Old 12-11-2019, 03:12 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,347,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post

Love when I see a Craigs/list ad with a stated telephone number. Folks from all over the planet can now call up and tell you that your Micro/soft computer is "infected" and for $159.00 US dollars - they can fix it.
I once listed a printer for sale on Craigslist. I had an alleged buyer contact me and say that he wanted the printer shipped to an address out of state, and he needed a name to make out the money order to and an address to mail it to. After that, no money order arrived and I heard nothing, until about a month later. A music store owner in Omaha called me, and he told me that someone was using my name to try to get a $14,000 violin shipped to Nigeria. He was suspicious and looked up my contact info online. The shop owner explained that because there is so much credit card fraud, many merchants won't take an order without a U. S. address attached to it. The scammers (who were attempting to use stolen card numbers, but my name and address) had used the Craigslist ad to harvest my name and address for their fraudulent scheme.

Old 12-11-2019, 04:13 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,983,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post

I suppose if one is that paranoid, one could go buy a "burner phone" (Trac-fone, or equivalent) and use it for advertising. Seems like a waste of money, IMO.
Yes, every time I list a vehicle on craigslist, I get emails from somebody saying "I want to buy your item, what is your rock bottom price for it?" I always tell them I must have their name and address to enter in the appropriate blanks on the Title, it is a State Law, and the listed price is the rock bottom price. Oddly, I never hear from them again! Apparently, they do not wish to give me their name and address.
As for the computer calls, I just tell them my computer is maintained by an IT professional, (true)
and nobody else messes with it, EVER!
Calls threatening to arrest me? I tell them "Oh, goody! I have a very expensive terminal illness, and if I get sent to prison YOU get to take care of me instead of running my family into bankruptcy. When can I expect your arresting officers?" Not true, but the arresting officers have never showed up.
If one exercises reasonable caution, one can have a lot of fun with the scammers.

Old 12-11-2019, 07:57 PM

15,444 posts, read 7,511,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I suppose if one is that paranoid, one could go buy a "burner phone" (Trac-fone, or equivalent) and use it for advertising. Seems like a waste of money, IMO.
Yes, every time I list a vehicle on craigslist, I get emails from somebody saying "I want to buy your item, what is your rock bottom price for it?" I always tell them I must have their name and address to enter in the appropriate blanks on the Title, it is a State Law, and the listed price is the rock bottom price. Oddly, I never hear from them again! Apparently, they do not wish to give me their name and address.
As for the computer calls, I just tell them my computer is maintained by an IT professional, (true)
and nobody else messes with it, EVER!
Calls threatening to arrest me? I tell them "Oh, goody! I have a very expensive terminal illness, and if I get sent to prison YOU get to take care of me instead of running my family into bankruptcy. When can I expect your arresting officers?" Not true, but the arresting officers have never showed up.
If one exercises reasonable caution, one can have a lot of fun with the scammers.
I tell the scammers threatening arrest that I have enough weapons and explosives to take out most of them before they get me, so "bring it on, mofo"

Old 12-11-2019, 10:56 PM

6,825 posts, read 11,556,490 times
If someone wanted to do something nefarious with VIN numbers, all they would have to do is visit a Walmart parking lot and copy them off the plate on the dash. Or go higher tech and take pictures with their phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive