Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 09:01 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,887,938 times

Advertisements

"I really feel sorry for folks that dont know much about cars, that are about to buy all these 2007-2011 (Acadia, Enclave Traver, or Outlooks"

Same holds true for those who have purchased any Nissan with CVT. Might be fine vehicles. But a ticking time bomb if owned long enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 12:35 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,088,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1538 View Post
To add insult to injury, a good portion of the people who will likely purchase these car from that error can't afford a $3k bill and are likely looking for something that would break the bank. This further burns GMs potential customer base. Those customers will avoid GM when they can afford newer cars.

True, and Ford is about to take a bad hit too as it seems alot of the 3.5L and 3.7L Water Pump issues typically start going bad after about 125K, especially if they werent following the coolant flush interval and thats a $2000 repair for the pump, assuming it didnt leak the other way into the engine and end up cost $5-7K for a replacement engine. Plenty of Ford 3.5L horror stories out there too, so they are probably taking a bad rep too, along with the DCT Transmission issues

Old 12-11-2019, 03:44 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,322,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
True, and Ford is about to take a bad hit too as it seems alot of the 3.5L and 3.7L Water Pump issues typically start going bad after about 125K, especially if they werent following the coolant flush interval and thats a $2000 repair for the pump, assuming it didnt leak the other way into the engine and end up cost $5-7K for a replacement engine. Plenty of Ford 3.5L horror stories out there too, so they are probably taking a bad rep too, along with the DCT Transmission issues
And what about Honda and vehicles that have not had their airbags replaced,or Honda’s turbocharged 1.5-liter four-cylinder that gasoline was leaking into the oil. Or TOYOTA OIL CONSUMPTION DEFECT LAWSUIT so every automaker has had problems, but you all on here only think that the american automakers only have problems.

Old 12-11-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
And what about Honda and vehicles that have not had their airbags replaced,or Honda’s turbocharged 1.5-liter four-cylinder that gasoline was leaking into the oil. Or TOYOTA OIL CONSUMPTION DEFECT LAWSUIT so every automaker has had problems, but you all on here only think that the american automakers only have problems.
I know others have their issues, but the problem with GM, Ford, Chrysler is sometimes their issues are more frequent and affects more, since the issues are in the big selling engines

Ford DCT failures and 3.5L Water Pump issues

Honda 9spd auto problems
Nissan CVT Failures
Kia/Hyundia 2.0/2.4L engines seizing up and engine fires.

The Toyota oil consumption issues went away after the 2.4L and I know they are having some issues with the 8spd auto from what I heard.

But honestly, the Honda 2.4L 4cyl and 3.0 v6 and 3.5 v6 have been very solid powertrains and the same with the Toyota 2.5L 4cyl and 3.5L v6 as well, have been very reliable.

I try to be a domestic car fan, but Ive been burned too many times by GM and their poor quality and Ford sometimes too, and their cars are not easy to work on anymore.

My next car would be either a Impala Premier or Fusion Hybrid, but since they are canceling sedans, might have to just get a v6 Hyundai or Kia.

Old 12-12-2019, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I know others have their issues, but the problem with GM, Ford, Chrysler is sometimes their issues are more frequent and affects more, since the issues are in the big selling engines

Ford DCT failures and 3.5L Water Pump issues

Honda 9spd auto problems
Nissan CVT Failures
Kia/Hyundia 2.0/2.4L engines seizing up and engine fires.

The Toyota oil consumption issues went away after the 2.4L and I know they are having some issues with the 8spd auto from what I heard.

But honestly, the Honda 2.4L 4cyl and 3.0 v6 and 3.5 v6 have been very solid powertrains and the same with the Toyota 2.5L 4cyl and 3.5L v6 as well, have been very reliable.

I try to be a domestic car fan, but Ive been burned too many times by GM and their poor quality and Ford sometimes too, and their cars are not easy to work on anymore.

My next car would be either a Impala Premier or Fusion Hybrid, but since they are canceling sedans, might have to just get a v6 Hyundai or Kia.
Hey this is America get what you want, I’m just tired of people bringing up the past on the domestics. People can’t get over the fact that the big3 are the leaders in the full-size pickups. And that Jeep has a very loyal fan base.The big 3 have som very nic vehicle out there today that are right up there with the foreign automakers. Remember this is a global automotive industry and foreign and domestic manufactures are working together to make vehicles in joint ventures. Ford is going to make a pickup for VW to be sold in Europe. And no vehicle is easy to work on anymore it’s because consumers what all this new technology and the automakers have to cram it somewhere and add all the pollution control stuff. No a backyard weekend mechanic cannot work on a vehicle anymore like the old days.

Old 12-12-2019, 04:32 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,824,478 times
Back on topic, Buicks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFGDaEjMQYs

Old 12-12-2019, 05:13 AM

Beautiful 1987 Buick Grand National with twin turbo. Who ever said that Buick was a old person car.

Last edited by easy62; 06-27-2020 at 05:57 PM..

Old 12-12-2019, 05:44 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,645,312 times
Quote:
Beautiful 1987 Buick Grand National with twin turbo. Who ever said that Buick was a old person car.
In its heyday Buick was a mature person's car. Few Buick loyalists had any interest in a Grand National with twin turbo and most were wise enough to avoid them in any case.

Old 12-12-2019, 09:17 AM

8,260 posts, read 6,321,526 times
The 455 Buick big block engine had the most HP potential for hot rodders after the 454 Chevy and 440 Chrysler but only sort of caught on.

Old 12-12-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Hey this is America get what you want, I’m just tired of people bringing up the past on the domestics. People can’t get over the fact that the big3 are the leaders in the full-size pickups. And that Jeep has a very loyal fan base.The big 3 have som very nic vehicle out there today that are right up there with the foreign automakers. Remember this is a global automotive industry and foreign and domestic manufactures are working together to make vehicles in joint ventures. Ford is going to make a pickup for VW to be sold in Europe. And no vehicle is easy to work on anymore it’s because consumers what all this new technology and the automakers have to cram it somewhere and add all the pollution control stuff. No a backyard weekend mechanic cannot work on a vehicle anymore like the old days.

That I will agree on, I help alot of my friends when they are searching for cars and they are strongly against anything American and they say I want a Nissan, and Im like are you sure about that.

2 examples recently
1 coworker bought a 2013 Pathfinder and bought a $2K extended warranty on it and im like, if you feel the need to buy a extended warranty, do you really trust the car, but since his 2001 Pathfinder was good, he is convinced Nissan's are still great and a few weeks later the car had to be towed, because Nissans have this cool feature that if the rear brake lights stops working, you will not be able to start the car SMH

The next coworker firmly said no American cars and then buys a 2014 Pathfinder in which it was a manufacturer buyback, because they have to replace the CVT transmission at 30K, yet she still buys it and spends $2200 on a extend warranty for piece of mind and then totals is within 6 months and buys a Traverse and complains because 2 $50 sensors have failed on the car within a year, but didnt see an issue with a $7K CVT replacement on her Pathfinder before she bough it SMH

I think just about all cars can you you 5-7 years and 125K-150 miles reliably now adays, its from 150K onwards we will see who makes a throw away car or something that can go another 5 years without $$$$ being sinked into it.

I know many engine bays are becoming crammed in all makes, but In regards to ease of repair, Ive looked at a Honda, Toyota, Kia 4cyl engine bay and then a Ford or GM and the Honda is waaaay easier to access items that Ford or GM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive