Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 01:29 PM

7,179 posts, read 9,309,123 times

Advertisements

Boomer here, born in 1949. Not dead yet..but soon.

I used to subscribe to all the car magazines: Car and Driver, Road & Track, Motor Trend, etc.

I followed every car evolution each year. I'd go down to the dealers each August to see the newest changes.

But now...I've lost interest. Although I still attend the Denver Auto Show each Spring, I've really stopped paying attention. As I've aged, now at 69, I see cars mostly as just appliances. I'm even less interested in Trucks.

How about you? Are you still an enthusiast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2019, 01:47 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,658,309 times
I am an enthusiast, but I see fewer and fewer cars that merit enthusiasm. There are fewer sports cars. All the "hot hatches" look alike. All the cross-overs look alike. Govt mandates mean that most cars are similarly equipped. For reasons that are unclear to me, most cars are on dealers' lots are all boring colors (or rather non-colors like black, white, silver/gray, and brown). A lot of the pre-release hype turns into a disappointment, like the new Supra. The only thing that I've seen recently that I have any interest in is the new Corvette.

Last edited by KCZ; 11-10-2019 at 03:11 PM..

Old 11-10-2019, 01:58 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Haven't lost interest, but I pretty much know what I'm going to own in the future.

Old 11-10-2019, 03:12 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,261,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Boomer here, born in 1949. Not dead yet..but soon.

I used to subscribe to all the car magazines: Car and Driver, Road & Track, Motor Trend, etc.

I followed every car evolution each year. I'd go down to the dealers each August to see the newest changes.

But now...I've lost interest. Although I still attend the Denver Auto Show each Spring, I've really stopped paying attention. As I've aged, now at 69, I see cars mostly as just appliances. I'm even less interested in Trucks.

How about you? Are you still an enthusiast?
I am close but not quite there yet. Some of it is aging. You do lose interest in a lot of things, not just cars. I have found myself not wanting to buy much. I figure I have, or had, everything I wanted. Hobbies also come and go. I am not riding my motorcycle as much. Back to the cars, I used to get goosebumps listening to the sound of throaty exhaust. I still do but there are fewer and fewer. I am driving a Lexus now; the antithesis of enthusiasm. If you look at cars as appliances is perhaps because they ARE mostly an appliance these days. The V8s have mostly disappeared and now even the V6 is a rarity. Anyway, as our life horizon closes in, this stuff happens.

Old 11-10-2019, 03:38 PM

17,603 posts, read 17,635,928 times
Born in 69. I’m interested in new stuff but majority of the new stuff is SUVs, crossovers, and trucks. The focus seems to be on connectivity (phone, tablet, and other devices). Some younger drivers can tell you about all the electronic connectivity and apps but they can’t tell you the size of the engine nor the number of gears on the transmission if it even has gears. My favorite segment is the compact sedan segment. Today you’re out of luck on American brand compact sedans. Those still available fall into the midsize interior volume now. To go truly compact means giving up any semblance of performance. Kia Rio, Hyundai Accent, Nissan Versa, and Toyota Yaris are all that’s left of compact sedans and non offer a performance engine upgrade. Traditional compact class sedans still have some models offering a performance upgrade including the Corolla, Elantra, Civic, Forte, & Jetta.

Even though today’s cars are faster, corner better, and are more reliable they do seem more utility appliance like.

Old 11-10-2019, 04:01 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
Also born in 49.
Had a 57 chevy and 56 ford. Both small block V-8s.
Had an MG GT. What a hoot.
Had a Mustang.
Had a Cadillac -- nice ride!!

Wanted a Studebaker Golden Hawk. Wanted a Thunderbird.
But those were my motorcycle years

Loved all the muscle cars like GTO and Impala SS396.

Just can't get excited about cars today.

Currently drive an F150 FX4.

Old 11-10-2019, 04:20 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,824,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Also born in 49.
Had a Mustang.

like GP, i too cant get excited about most modern cars. oh i like my grand marquis, i like the current mustang, and the current challenger, and perhaps a few others around the sales universe, but for the most part the rest tend to bore me.

that said, i can still see the potential in a lot of car on the market today. the problem is the amount of money it takes to make the modern cars exciting.

Old 11-10-2019, 04:24 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,961,779 times
well, we cannot get excited about the ones we can afford.
we have four, all paid for, and boring, but they still start.

Old 11-10-2019, 05:03 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,261,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Also born in 49.
Had a Mustang.

I suspect if you were 70 in 1970, you'd probably see most cars as appliances too.

Old 11-10-2019, 05:04 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,091,872 times
Its not that I've lost interest. It is that today's cars are less interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive