Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 01:35 AM

4,625 posts, read 3,010,154 times

Advertisements

After some internet research and a visit to a car show, I've narrowed my options to:

-- Subaru Forester

-- Mazda CX-5 AWD

-- VW Golf Sportwagen AWD

I'll be shopping basic versions (don't want rubbish like sunroofs, leather upholstery, etc.).

Probably test drives will establish a clear winner, but does anyone have comments
on the relative merits of these three (as to long-term reliability, etc.)?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2019, 05:15 AM

1,112 posts, read 885,568 times
Love my Outback. We dumped a VW Jetta with under 100k miles...too many repairs not covered under warranty ..or extended warranty. VW is dead to us. Almost bought the Forester, btw. I am female...I preferred the automobile smooth ride on the Outback vs the “truck” feel of Forester.

Old 12-07-2019, 06:20 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,024,007 times
I too like the outgoing Outback (my wife has previously had two V6's). The redesign not so much (well the turbo anyway, very disappointing after having the 6's). I am not overly impressed with the Forester however on it's own. .

I think the Mazda is the best bang for the buck among your choices. It's quality and finishes are all just a step above the other two your looking at, and it is going be the quietest and most luxurious feeling on the road. I would chose it over a Forester all day long.

Old 12-07-2019, 06:31 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,633,295 times
Trouble with Mazdas, they don’t have enough dealers.

Old 12-07-2019, 06:38 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,224,091 times
We had a Forester, but traded it in for an Outback. I really enjoy driving this car. Heated seats are great, variable cruise is awesome! I've had the car stop for me a couple of times, probably avoided a rear end accident. Blue tooth is probably standard on all late models, but I love that it plays off of my phone and answers calls so easily. We'll be enjoying this car for years to come.

Old 12-07-2019, 07:31 AM

604 posts, read 654,043 times
Based on handling and looks I'd stick with VW.
Not sure if they still do, but couple of months back when we got the last new VW they had 6 years warranty bumper-to-bumper (best at the time).

I've had many, many vehicles in the past and I always enjoy more the European ones for the drivability feeling and classy looks.
I can no longer stand the boring appliances that most Asian car manufacturers tend to build.

Old 12-07-2019, 07:36 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,856,519 times
I’m another person who had a horrible reliability experience with VW and has only put about $500 beyond scheduled maintenance and tires over the years into our 2007 Outback. We plan on replacing that Outback with another Outback but are having a hard time justifying that right now because it still runs so well at so little cost.

Indications are that Mazda has made big improvements in reliability and rust control over the past 20 years and they can be a good option if you prefer a stiffer/sportier driving experience than the Subies

Old 12-07-2019, 07:45 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,000,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
After some internet research and a visit to a car show, I've narrowed my options to:

-- Subaru Forester

-- Mazda CX-5 AWD

-- VW Golf Sportwagen AWD

I'll be shopping basic versions (don't want rubbish like sunroofs, leather upholstery, etc.).

Probably test drives will establish a clear winner, but does anyone have comments
on the relative merits of these three (as to long-term reliability, etc.)?

Thanks!
From a personal one on one experience.

Here up North with snow and salt - the Subaru are the ones with the highest number/cost of repairs as they age. In the short term Subaru would be tied for number one. In the long term Subaru would be number 2.

Skip any Volkswagen product. Too many horror stories about mechanical and non-mechanical problems/repairs/issues. Although my neighbor got a free new Volkswagen because of the Volkswagen cheating scandal.

The number one choice would be Mazda. Just better everything - short term and long term. A high quality Made in Japan vehicle.

Others will chime in on differing opinions.

Old 12-07-2019, 08:43 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,909,844 times
I just test drove a Forester, and really liked it. As a tall person, it was the most roomy and comfortable of the many midsize SUVs I tested.

I have always had good luck with Mazdas over the years, as far as durability.

Old 12-07-2019, 09:28 AM

3,319 posts, read 2,343,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Trouble with Mazdas, they don’t have enough dealers.
It's not like there's a Subaru dealership on every corner either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive