Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 06:10 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times

Advertisements

start with the bank and see if there is a lien release on the title or not. if so then get the copy of said lien release from the bank. then go back ot the DMV and transfer the title to your name. after that you should be able to not have to pay the past due registration fees.

another option would be to go to a title company and have them handle the transfer of title and registration for you. they may be able to get things done that you cant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2019, 07:09 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
WOW, Sequon . . . that's downright incredible.

No idea how much good it will do but if I were in your shoes I would be at the local Police Headquarters first thing Monday morning with all of the paperwork in hand along with as many details you can possibly remember.

I have a feeling the Cops would be very interested.

Good Luck.

Old 12-08-2019, 07:23 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Meh- pay the registration. Still a good price if it lasts you. You can probably get your money back when you sell it.

Where 'bouts in CA? I'm in the desert.

Old 12-08-2019, 07:29 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
I would spend as little $ as possible to get it legally on the road. $450 bucks hurts, but consider it
water-under-the-bridge and a lesson learned.

The bank-lien may be an issue when you decide to sell, but you could always cut it up and scrap it.

Old 12-08-2019, 08:43 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,557,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequon View Post
My understanding was to pay that money to get the registration current. In other words, the DMV allowed me to register the car with my name; but could not transfer the title with a lien on it. My guess was, the DMV doesn't really care whether the person registering a car is the legal owner or not. Once I pay the money and register it with my name, with the insurance; I am totally legal to use the car even when the title is sort of shaky.

Don't know exactly what the legal consequences of that is.

But at least I do know, when a cop pulls over, they say "insurance and registration, please."

They don't say "insurance, registration and the title, please," right?
I've never heard of being able to register a car in your name that is titled to someone else. Has anyone reading this heard of this? What you are describing makes no sense. You might be able to pay the $450 and drive it legally until the 2020 tag expires - but even that sounds weird to me.
You need to either get the title issue squared away or just abandon it and don't put another cent into what looks to me like a rip off.

Old 12-08-2019, 10:06 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I've never heard of being able to register a car in your name that is titled to someone else. Has anyone reading this heard of this? What you are describing makes no sense. You might be able to pay the $450 and drive it legally until the 2020 tag expires - but even that sounds weird to me.
You need to either get the title issue squared away or just abandon it and don't put another cent into what looks to me like a rip off.
You can register it, you just will have a unfinished title with DMV. So you’ll never be able to legally sell the car.

Forget what you should of done

What I would do

Call the bank and see if the loan was paid off and the bank needs to give a release of lien. Once you bought it they may give a release as the loan is in the other persons name.
If the loan was paid the release should be given pretty quickly.

Here is my basic rules on qualifying a vehicle

Is the car in the sellers name.
Does the seller have the pink slip. If no why.
Is the registration current. If there is a lien holder they will be listed on the registration.
Smog test must be recent and provided by the seller.

If there is any funny paperwork or missing or seller whining about smog I get in m6 truck and drive away. I don’t care how good a deal.

When I sell a car. I have everything ready smog, pink, car is cleaned out and I meet you at AAA to transfer title. If you don’t want to do that fine, we oart ways and move on.

Old 12-09-2019, 04:15 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times
Quote:
Do you have any suggestions for an alternative to craigslist? Go to a dealer? I'm sure we won't have a title-related problem at an established, big dealership; but there's a source of anxiety of its own when buying a car there--it's just a different kind.
Dealer is no problem.
Best is a private party that you know. I've got a deal brewing down the road with one of them.
I bought a lizard off of CL, but I'm not buying any cars there.

Old 12-09-2019, 09:41 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,557,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
You can register it, you just will have a unfinished title with DMV. So you’ll never be able to legally sell the car.

Forget what you should of done

What I would do

Call the bank and see if the loan was paid off and the bank needs to give a release of lien. Once you bought it they may give a release as the loan is in the other persons name.
If the loan was paid the release should be given pretty quickly.

Here is my basic rules on qualifying a vehicle

Is the car in the sellers name.
Does the seller have the pink slip. If no why.
Is the registration current. If there is a lien holder they will be listed on the registration.
Smog test must be recent and provided by the seller.

If there is any funny paperwork or missing or seller whining about smog I get in m6 truck and drive away. I don’t care how good a deal.

When I sell a car. I have everything ready smog, pink, car is cleaned out and I meet you at AAA to transfer title. If you don’t want to do that fine, we oart ways and move on.
That's news to me, found this regarding CA:
https://www.quora.com/Can-I-register...-is-in-my-name

So he could register it in his name and not pay the loan balance and just drive it as long as he wants? OP, have you asked the bank if any money is owed? I'd be concerned with the lein release signature being wrong, not sure how you could fix that. How is it wrong - is there a printed name that is supposed to match the signature and a different name in the signature line? If so what kind of moron would make a goof like that? If someone other than the correct person signed it, why didn't they forge the correct name?

Last edited by duke944; 12-09-2019 at 09:52 AM..

Old 12-09-2019, 12:20 PM

2,284 posts, read 1,585,059 times
"2) Use the car until Feb and just be extra careful not to be pulled by a cop... then abandon it?"

I would do what you said above since you'll only be there for 3 months. Plus you can get all the parking tickets you want since you are not the registered owner.

Sometimes the buyer of the car is not the owner in my experiences of transferring used title. In any state, you should have done one or all of these 3 things.
1. gotten a copy of the guys ID/license who sold you the car and

2. ask for a copy of their current registration

3. or have them sign official CA transfer/seller form.

I had this happen to me with a Taurus. Some guy bought it for his daughter. He signed the pink slip and they never registered the vehicle. 2-3 months later DMV tells me I have outstanding parking tickets in places I've never been. I showed the DMV the transfer/release form, and his address (which was correct), the date the form was signed, and I was off the hook.

Old 12-09-2019, 12:30 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Quote:
Do you have any suggestions for an alternative to craigslist?
Have bought and sold on Craigslist many times. No issues.

But being out of state or new to state - good idea to check with the DMV. In fact, you should have met the seller at the local DMV and had the title checked out.

Lesson learned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive