Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 11:32 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,587,895 times

Advertisements

Don’t try to go cheapskate or lazy on this theft!!! Your (expensive) car and your house and YOU are at risk. Cannot mealymouth around that fact.

Report to the police, call insurance company (they might have some good advice, too), schedule a rekeying appointment ASAP for all items and locks involved, and have aftermarket antitheft system installed in the car immediately, one that can operate independently from the door or ignition key. Make sure you never lose THAT fob.

If someone else in your household drives their own car, have that person(s) park so that your car cannot be driven without them leaving first, preferably in quick succession so that your car is never easy to drive away by the thief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 11:49 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,863,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Good time to invest in a handgun..
Please. Take that advice over to the politics section.

The OP has a good question though.

I would guess that the car can be reprogrammed for another FOB. Or the current FOB if 2 can be reprogrammed.

Good question for the dealer or someone who works for a dealer.

Old 12-19-2019, 12:00 PM

11,750 posts, read 14,559,260 times
I agree with the protective measures suggested here.

I remember back in the 1960's a candidate for statewide office in New Jersey sent out campaign flyers that had key chains with a replica of the car owner's license plate. As a mere youth at the time I thought the idea was pretty cool until my mother pointed out the undesirability of having your car key attached to something that tells anyone who picks the keys up what car it goes to.

Old 12-19-2019, 12:02 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,797,734 times
Park your car down the street until you can get it re-keyed.

Old 12-19-2019, 01:59 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,162,294 times
Co-worker had this happen and got a Club. It worked and the car wasn't stolen again.

Yeah, it's not that hard to defeat one, but one should remember that car thieves are by and large a rather lazy bunch.
They see a Club and think "man, that thing's gonna make me do work".
Then they move on to the easier mark that was left unlocked and running down the street.

Old 12-19-2019, 03:37 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,029,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Please. Take that advice over to the politics section.
The OP has a good question though.
I would guess that the car can be reprogrammed for another FOB. Or the current FOB if 2 can be reprogrammed.
Good question for the dealer or someone who works for a dealer.
So owning a gun is now a political decision? A gun is a tool, not much different than the "Club" device. Although for this problem, a gun is pretty much useless, since the Bad Guy only has the key to the car, not the house. If they did have a key to the house, then a revolver would be an excellent tool to have (obviously, there are other factors, like kids in the home, etc.). But re-keying the house would be the superior choice here, as well.

Bottom line, I simply don't understand the demonization of legal gun ownership by responsible adults. Note the last two words.

Old 12-19-2019, 03:42 PM

18,755 posts, read 27,181,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
The fact that the dealer says they are booked until after Christmas doesn't help either. The Club suggestion is a good one. I have seen a Club since John Travolta was last seen.

ps

I am not sure they would want to cut through the steering wheel. These days the steering wheel is part of the car. I recall I could pull it by removing just one big nut.
Oh for pete's sake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23F9tFSmDGg

And it takes 10 seconds to wiggle brake club out of position.

Or, cut either one with cordless cut off wheel.

Find a locksmith thAT CAN REKEY YOUR CAR, DON'T WAIT ON DEALER.

Old 12-19-2019, 03:44 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,436,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
So owning a gun is now a political decision? A gun is a tool, not much different than the "Club" device. Although for this problem, a gun is pretty much useless, since the Bad Guy only has the key to the car, not the house. If they did have a key to the house, then a revolver would be an excellent tool to have (obviously, there are other factors, like kids in the home, etc.). But re-keying the house would be the superior choice here, as well.

Bottom line, I simply don't understand the demonization of legal gun ownership by responsible adults. Note the last two words.
People without proper training follow advice like this and are part of the reason the statistics show that gun ownership increases the likelihood of dying by gunfire.

OP, it’s probably worth checking if your insurance will cover the cost of rekeying.

Old 12-19-2019, 04:17 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,197,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
You could use the Club. I would also use a tracker. I had a car stolen once and got it back. Used the Club on it for years after because the steering wheel column was busted when it was stolen.
Save your money on the club. I can cut it off in seconds.

I would go and have the car rekeyed and the remote deleted and a new one programmed. Yes it’s gonna cost you.

Old 12-19-2019, 08:59 PM

16,563 posts, read 15,105,033 times
I wonder if the remote app can disable the car. I don't see that on my Lexus Enform. It's got a pretty dismal functionality. Basically start/stop and locks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive