Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 05:09 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
It's dead, like the Volt.

The price was wrong in 2014 when I drove it.
It was the very first one they got and I told the sales guy he was gonna have a heck a time selling them.
But the price is right now. It'll be a mid-teens $$$ car by the time I get to it.

Should've made it a convertible, which would've put it in a niche by itself.
They might've even gotten the asking price for something like that.

As for charging cost, doesn't matter to me.
My other car should be a V8 gas hog Lexus SUV and I'll happily drive either one.
Home charging is convenient, road charging not so much. An ELR can be plugged into the wall, doesn't even need a special charger.
Plugins in general can use wall outlets. People get level 2 chargers so they can charge faster though that’s not always necessary given the average commute.

Interesting comment on the convertible. I know the Volt and ELR are dead, but sometimes things come back. I actually think GM and Ford are shooting themselves in the foot by turning all their attention to crossovers, SUVs, and trucks, but oh well, it’s not like they’ve ever made any bad decisions before.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 12-23-2019 at 05:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 06:08 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,257,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Plugins in general can use wall outlets. People get level 2 chargers so they can charge faster though that’s not always necessary given the average commute.
The difference is an ELR can get fully charged with a wall plug, the engine will not come on until the battery is empty (other PHEVs will kick the engine on if you get aggressive with the throttle) and won't strand you if it runs out of juice.

Most "pure" EVs would take forever to get enough of a charge out of the wall to avoid range anxiety.
I read somewhere that most Volt/ELR owners charge at Level 1. I would.

Old 12-23-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
The difference is an ELR can get fully charged with a wall plug, the engine will not come on until the battery is empty (other PHEVs will kick the engine on if you get aggressive with the throttle) and won't strand you if it runs out of juice.

Most "pure" EVs would take forever to get enough of a charge out of the wall to avoid range anxiety.
I read somewhere that most Volt/ELR owners charge at Level 1. I would.
That’s definitely one way to solve range anxiety. For people with full battery EVs, it’d be to have the vehicle charged to or near capacity and then the wall charger is sufficient to keep it topped up. At that point, you don’t have range anxiety and you get your daily topoff from a standard wall charger if you’d like.

Old 12-23-2019, 06:32 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Quote:
You asked for one (1). Move the goal post, sure, but why pretend I didn’t provide what was asked? Also, median car fleet age is something like 11 something years old and the first Leaf just hit 9 years. That they were able to cobble together some batteries for it is interesting since there probably weren’t that many available. It’ll be a few years before this becomes commonplace.
Sounds more like a good-will project than anything sustainable. Good work on finding an example but I’d rather see something more substantial like powering a Walmart or something. The Europeans will be happy to spend $10 to save $1 if it makes them feel better.

Old 12-23-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Sounds more like a good-will project than anything sustainable. Good work on finding an example but I’d rather see something more substantial like powering a Walmart or something. The Europeans will be happy to spend $10 to save $1 if it makes them feel better.
You asked, I sent. This isn’t the only project, but there’s also not a glut of second hand EV batteries yet. Europeans are happy to spend money on conservation-oriented projects. We’re happy to just eat costs as externalities. Regardless, there’s a market for such. Japan has some, too. Oddly enough, so does the US. Most are smaller pilots, but that makes sense since there hasn’t been mass production EVs for all that long and we’re not at the end of life for most of them. Your skepticism doesn’t matter, because you don’t really cite any data and you have a lack of knowledge. Things go on without you knowing and there’s no surprise in that.

Old 12-23-2019, 07:14 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
Quote:
I see. Do you have a place to park your vehicle where you can have an electrical utility hookup to charge the car? A 240V outlet?

11.10 cents per kWh versus $2.18 a gallon is going to hover somewhere probably just north of $1,000 less fueling costs a year if you drive fairly comparable cars under pretty average 12,000 miles a year on the vehicle provided you charge mostly from home. So yea, not a huge savings for you on fueling costs there.
Nope can’t have a 220v line outside my manufactured home. I rent now because i sold my house because I’m tire of doing home repairs and buy new appliances when they wear out. Since it’s only the wife and i we rent in a 55 plus park. And like i said no chargers around me or any city near me. We’re still the motor city and build ice vehicles still. EV are coming out but not yet and no charging stations. And I’m not going to be driving a EV in the snow and cold weather. Last winter we had windshield temperatures of -45 here and i want a warm vehicle to drive with a good blower motor and heated seats and steering wheel. And until they can get the heat in a EV to put out like a ice vehicle without taking away battery life.

Old 12-23-2019, 07:18 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
My road trip, if I'm forced to have one, is balls to the wall get there asap.
Minimal stoppage. Pee while you can.
No way hanging out loo loo loo every 300 miles.

Old 12-23-2019, 07:24 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,778 times
Quote:
That's reuse, not recycling. When EV batteries no longer have the ability to hold enough charge to be a practical video, or more likely, the battery has outlived the rest of the car, they become useful for stationary storage. The weight is still the same, but the max charge capacity is lower, so the overall charge density is lower to the point where it's not so effective to have to lug around the entire battery weight for the reduced charge the batter is capable of. However, that weight and efficiency consideration isn't nearly as much of a constraint when used for stationary storage which is why EV batteries have been seeing secondary uses as stationary storage which can be used to smooth out electricity supply and demand mismatches or as backup power.

Recycling comes later. Recycling small batteries like in portable electronic devices is a bit difficult because it's so dispersed. Recycling of EV batteries will likely be a different economic endeavor since it's a high concentration of battery cells in a relatively tight package. It's certainly less dispersed than trying to find a way to recycle the exhaust from an ICE vehicle.
I don't know about that.

Yes the EV batteries can be re-used for a while after they get pulled from a car but two issues there:
1) They cannot be re-used in its secondary life forever. They do have expiration dates so eventually all those batteries need to be disposed-of in some way.
2) The pollution needed to make the batteries in the first place is a major issue
3) If everyone was driving EV's today, the amount of batteries that need to be recycled (eventually) as well as the pressure on the power grid would be tremendous.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/...-power-energy/

Lastly, ICE engines do not pollute as much as people think. I get the argument against gas, but diesel cars are very clean these days. In the US and Europe they emit close to zero emissions - the aftertreatment systems mandated since 2011 virtually eliminated all soot and NoX.

Old 12-23-2019, 08:43 PM

1,069 posts, read 787,368 times
Default As always a very informative discussion. Thanks all for participating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
Here is an extraordinary well documented account of a long trip in an electric car. 2,000 miles of objective detailed explanation while making the trip in an electric car. This guy does an excellent job of telling it like it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC95WACQhCY

Don't be fooled by the title.

As always a very informative discussion. Thanks all for participating, I always learn something from the posters on city data.

You have to admit the guy gave a good overall picture of what a road trip in an electric car under near perfect conditions would be like.

Nobody mentioned the flat during the trip in the discussion, a full sized spare may reduce trunk room but let that be a lesson to all car owners without spares.

Old 12-24-2019, 05:37 AM

8,069 posts, read 12,784,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
A fraction of the cost of filling up with gasoline or diesel and no CO2 emission.
Only if the electric is generated at a nuclear, hydro, solar or wind plant. There is a 66% +/- chance that the there WERE C02 emissions. Coal, Natural gas & biomass.
Your statement is akin to saying no animals were harmed at the cook out since the meat was bought at the Piggly Wiggly....

Last edited by Wartrace; 12-24-2019 at 05:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive