Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 03:37 PM

451 posts, read 499,507 times

Advertisements

I’m waiting for my new 2020 RAV4 to arrive and the sales guy said he’d throw in floor and cargo mats. When I told him I wanted carpet, he said he likes the all weather because he thinks they’re easier to clean and they keep things from sliding around in the back. I was tired of dealing with dealers at this point so I said I’d take those since he suggested them.

I thought more about it later and looked at pictures on Toyota’s site. I’ve never seen these in person, but my major concern is they look like they can be dangerous for women who wear heels because of those deep grooves. I just feel they’ll be a safety hazard and would mess with my shoes. Does anyone else feel this way or have a significant other who has expressed the same concern?

I also don’t feel I need these in Florida, and it seems my new vehicle will smell like rubber because I assume the heat here will cook them. I don’t have kids or eat or drink in my car either. I’m also not sure if they’ll look ugly. It seems carpet will look nicer and feel much better, as well as last longer.

Are my assumptions wrong or is there something else I’m not thinking of? I thought I’d check before I ask the sales guy to change my mats to carpet like I’ve always had. Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2019, 03:42 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFJourney View Post
I’m waiting for my new 2020 RAV4 to arrive and the sales guy said he’d throw in floor and cargo mats. When I told him I wanted carpet, he said he likes the all weather because he thinks they’re easier to clean and they keep things from sliding around in the back. I was tired of dealing with dealers at this point so I said I’d take those since he suggested them.

I thought more about it later and looked at pictures on Toyota’s site. I’ve never seen these in person, but my major concern is they look like they can be dangerous for women who wear heels because of those deep grooves. I just feel they’ll be a safety hazard and would mess with my shoes. Does anyone else feel this way or have a significant other who has expressed the same concern?

I also don’t feel I need these in Florida, and it seems my new vehicle will smell like rubber because I assume the heat here will cook them. I don’t have kids or eat or drink in my car either. I’m also not sure if they’ll look ugly. It seems carpet will look nicer and feel much better, as well as last longer.

Are my assumptions wrong or is there something else I’m not thinking of? I thought I’d check before I ask the sales guy to change my mats to carpet like I’ve always had. Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.
Both. They will indeed help to keep the interior cleaner. With that said, I never drive in heels. My foot got stuck one time at a funny angle while I was pressing on the gas.

Old 12-16-2019, 03:55 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFJourney View Post

Very interesting insight --- it seems that you know very well what sort of mats work well for your particular situation and environment. You don't need the extra heavy duty utility of the rubber mats, you see a possible drawback due to footwear, and the potential for odor/outgaussing from the mat material. Well thought out.

Old 12-16-2019, 04:07 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,161,355 times
It's very much a "to each his own" thing - there's no universal rule here, so the title of the thread is much too generic to accurately apply wholesale. I could see the grooves as potential hazards to heels. I could also see the rubber mats being useless in a place that gets little precipitation. But I also don't know a single woman who would drive in such heels that she would experience this as a problem and I also know that it does rain in Florida. So my suggestion would be to keep both sets (to the best of my knowledge, all-season mats should supplement, not replace the carpeted mats) and swap them out as appropriate.

Old 12-16-2019, 04:19 PM

17,623 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Honestly, no one should wear heels when driving.
https://www.womenonwheels.co.za/safe...els-dangerous/
https://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/09/...th-high-heels/
https://www.wapt.com/article/high-he...gers-2/1942409

Old 12-16-2019, 04:23 PM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
I have the weather tech mats and love them. MUCH better than carpet ones.

Take your heels off when driving. Problem solved.

Old 12-16-2019, 04:48 PM

11,346 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Been a Weathertech person for years...until I found these.

https://3d-maxpider.com/

These have something like velcro on the bottom and unlike Weathertech, these don't move.

Old 12-16-2019, 05:51 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Thread title is wrong.

People wearing high heels when driving might be at risk, but not all women. I never wear HH, never have, never will. But if I did, I’d wear regular shoes for driving.

A pair of slip-on shoes (loafers, soled mocs) would allow very quick shoe changes.

I don’t wear backpacking boots or flipflops when driving, either.

Use common sense.

I ordered heavy-duty rubber floor mats for my vehicle. They are far easier to clean than carpet mats and they protect the floor better, too.

Old 12-16-2019, 06:11 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Been a Weathertech person for years...until I found these.

https://3d-maxpider.com/

These have something like velcro on the bottom and unlike Weathertech, these don't move.

Those are nice looking mats. I wonder how they wear and how much water they'd hold before it starts leaking. I'm in and out of my car maybe 20 times daily 4-5 days each week. This time of the year, when I track snow in and it melts, the water leaks overboard if I don't dump it regularly.

I've been using Weathertechs for the past 5 years now. Heavy use. Mine don't move at all -- less than 1/8 inch on the right side; the driver's side locks in on two corners so can't even move that much. I think Weathertech might make some cheaper ones (?) that aren't made to fit so well, but the ones I have just don't move. That doesn't mean they couldn't be better, but as for movement, there ain't none.

EDIT: I just clicked to get the price for a pair and see I've gotta buy mats for the rear as well as the front ones. I haven't had anyone in my back seat since the day after I bought the car (5+ years ago). Price for front and back was only $181, but they ought to offer them for just the front and just the rear or both. It's not a big deal, but I'd be more inclined to buy a set for the front for $100 (or $125) than for both front and back for $181.

Last edited by WyoNewk; 12-16-2019 at 06:52 PM..

Old 12-16-2019, 06:15 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
I love my weathertech mats. Don't have to worry about mud or sand getting ground into the carpet. I also don't drive in heels - never have, and I'm someone who started wearing heels at age 12 and did for decades as a matter of course. Even high heeled sandals. But I wouldn't drive in them, regardless of what the flooring of the vehicle was, because it's dangerous.

I live in Central Texas where 100+ degree days are common, No problem with aroma even when they are brand new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive