Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2019, 07:51 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regajohn View Post
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Beach driving, my man.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ....
Soooooooo, just because Clearwater doesn't allow driving on the beach, that holds for the rest of the state too? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
So your reasoning to have a AWD vehicle in Florida is just by chance you want to drive on a remote beach in Florida. It’s more logical to that why you see so many AWD vehicles in Florida is because of northern transplants, makes more sense than driving on a beach that’s no were near any major city in Florida we’re people live. There is no beach that allows people to drive on any eith it be on the Atlantic or the gulf side of Florida. At least with a full size vehicle, a ATV yes but not a 4x4 pickup unless it’s your own private beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 07:54 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,673,944 times
Popping the hood of a car and staring at the motor seems to be part of a by gone era. If I show up at a family event with a rental car or truck that's interesting someone will say pop the hood. We will stand around with beer in our hands commenting on the motor. This started in my fathers generation. The other day I rented a fast car and my son says have you popped the hood yet? We popped the hood got out our cell phone lights and checked out the motor. I think over the years cars are not as easy to work on by a novice so the interest is not as strong to see whats under the hood. There's also a lot of plastic covering so much of the motor its not the same anymore.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 12-28-2019 at 08:23 AM..

Old 12-28-2019, 08:30 AM

1,299 posts, read 823,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
The dealer I use had younger salesman who knew too much, was very off putting. He sold many cars, but was fired for what he said to management.

I have not benefited at all from knowing what engine transmission is in my vehicle. Only time it’s played a roll in anything is when I have to replace spark plugs in future. (FYI I know just about everything about my vehicle and about many other ones) Me knowing tire/wheel size has been way more important then engine size so far
So young people are terrible because none of them know anything about cars, but a young person who knows a bit is “off-putting”? One can know things without being a know-it-all, but I guess you don’t like smart young people.

Man, kids can’t win these days. At one brand dealership my daughter was aggressively challenged by numerous old men who got gross and sexist when she can answer their questions. When her bosses told her to learn those answers. She left for a brand with fewer “enthusiasts” and more people who just want a nice reliable car.

Old 12-28-2019, 08:36 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Popping the hood of a car and staring at the motor seems to be part of a by gone era. If I show up at a family event with a rental car or truck that's interesting someone will say pop the hood. We will stand around with beer in our hands commenting on the motor. This started in my fathers generation. The other day I rented a fast car and my son says have you popped the hood yet? We popped the hood got out our cell phone lights and checked out the motor. I think over the years cars are not as easy to work on by a novice so the interest is not as strong to see whats under the hood. There's also a lot of plastic covering so much of the motor its not the same anymore.
Most car engines are hidden behind plastic shrouds. There really isn’t much to see. I personally take them off because I don’t like the fact the shrouds keep the heat in and heat soak underhood electrical components

Old 12-28-2019, 08:57 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,428,879 times
A lifetime hot rodder before modern cars I could identify most all V8's at a glance, big block or small block, make and model. A lot of guys could.

Old 12-28-2019, 09:30 AM

12,420 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
He doesn't know because it is not necessary for him to know. It's interesting for you to know. But those are two different things, and you are two different people.

Automobiles are tools. Some people see them as that and nothing more. And there's nothing wrong with that..
I agree. In high school and college I was reading all kinds of books written by engineers on suspension designs, chassis dynamics under loads, combustion chamber flamefront propagation, engine "breathing", etc... I did a fair amount of practical suspension and engine work on my '70 Mustang. But if you ask me - does someone need to know all about cars to get through life? Eh, no. I was very interested, and sure, you can always make the case that it's nice to know something, but the same can be said for MANY things.

I am a little surprised how little these kids know about their cars, but I am not shocked and I don't think it represents the end of civilization as we know it.

I have a PhD in chemistry and a post-doc in applied math, have gone on to learn a good deal of computer science, physiology and molecular biology - most people have little to no concept of any of these subjects and I can make the case that all of them are useful. But the reality is, I don't expect people to know them, and most people get along just fine without knowing them.

I think that some people have a tendency to believe that whatever they are knowledgeable in is the most important thing in the world. That's a myopic view.

Old 12-28-2019, 09:43 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I agree. In high school and college I was reading all kinds of books written by engineers on suspension designs, chassis dynamics under loads, combustion chamber flamefront propagation, engine "breathing", etc... I did a fair amount of practical suspension and engine work on my '70 Mustang. But if you ask me - does someone need to know all about cars to get through life? Eh, no. I was very interested, and sure, you can always make the case that it's nice to know something, but the same can be said for MANY things.

I am a little surprised how little these kids know about their cars, but I am not shocked and I don't think it represents the end of civilization as we know it.

I have a PhD in chemistry and a post-doc in applied math, have gone on to learn a good deal of computer science, physiology and molecular biology - most people have little to no concept of any of these subjects and I can make the case that all of them are useful. But the reality is, I don't expect people to know them, and most people get along just fine without knowing them.

I think that some people have a tendency to believe that whatever they are knowledgeable in is the most important thing in the world. That's a myopic view.
But they should know enough to not mix cleaning agents like chlorine and ammonia. They shouldn’t need to know how the engine and transmission works (unless it’s a true manual transmission) but they should know which engine their vehicle has. Very few vehicles only have one engine available across all levels. Most have at least a base engine and a more powerful optional engine. Some commuter vehicles offer a more fuel efficient version or a hybrid version.

Old 12-28-2019, 09:45 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
It's necessary to know if you care about the reliability of the powertrain, or the fuel economy.
If you buy it New the fuel economy is on that sheet stuck to the window. Also you most likely have a readout for the fuel economy. My Camry is averaging 28.8 mpg. Now, I certainly won’t buy a car without knowing the engine. Some engines are pricier than others and of course bigger engines mean more power. After buying it though I’ve forgotten the exact size in the past.

The only times you need to know the engine size is when you buy the car, when you get parts and when you sell it.

I’ve got the basic engine. Can’t recall if it’s a 2.2 or 2.4 but I can google it in a few seconds or pop the hood.

It’s a 2.5

Last edited by whogo; 12-28-2019 at 09:57 AM..

Old 12-28-2019, 10:07 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post

I forced my wife ...
I'm detecting a theme ....

Old 12-28-2019, 10:17 AM

3,202 posts, read 4,433,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
So your reasoning to have a AWD vehicle in Florida is just by chance you want to drive on a remote beach in Florida. It’s more logical to that why you see so many AWD vehicles in Florida is because of northern transplants, makes more sense than driving on a beach that’s no were near any major city in Florida we’re people live. There is no beach that allows people to drive on any eith it be on the Atlantic or the gulf side of Florida. At least with a full size vehicle, a ATV yes but not a 4x4 pickup unless it’s your own private beach.
Daytona and New Smyrna Beach still allow cars on the beach.Its also still legal in some small areas around Jacksonville and St Augustine and some other parts of the state,including a few areas on the gulf side.

In most of these areas the sand is hard enough to drive any kind of car on.When I lived in Daytona Beach it was a common sight to see someone driving a Camaro,Mustang or Harley on the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive