Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 04:11 AM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
The home I expect to be living in by that time has a 3-car garage and a whole house generator.
Recharging your electric car at night could require 100% of the power from your home generator!
If a Supercharger consumes 150KW for a rapid charge, then the power required for a slower all-night charge would be approximately 15-20KW. Many of the whole house generators are in the 10-15KW range.
And yes, the electric grid is a major issue with the location and construction of additional charging stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2020, 06:36 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Recharging your electric car at night could require 100% of the power from your home generator!
If a Supercharger consumes 150KW for a rapid charge, then the power required for a slower all-night charge would be approximately 15-20KW. Many of the whole house generators are in the 10-15KW range.
And yes, the electric grid is a major issue with the location and construction of additional charging stations.

I can charge mine from my 4kw portable generator. It's not going to take all your home generator to charge an EV.

Old 01-03-2020, 06:45 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
I can charge mine from my 4kw portable generator. It's not going to take all your home generator to charge an EV.
And you still need gasoline for you generator lol

Old 01-03-2020, 07:25 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
That's not the proper way to charge an EV, you're not supposed to use high amperage to charge. EV batteries actually last longer if you charge it under low amps. SuperCharging frequently will lower battery life and endurance. Battery will last much longer charging slowly.

Old 01-03-2020, 09:42 AM

37,128 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Usually you can set what rate you charge at with home charging systems. If your whole house generator is in the 10-15kW range, then just charge at a lower rate. Level 2 home chargers operate at rates from 3.7kW to 7kW (and 22kW for three-phase, but very few would install such at home). If you're charging at a low 3.7 kW rate for level 2 chargers, then you're adding 7-13 miles of range per hour depending on your vehicle. Since on average people's back and forth commutes rounds out to around 30-40 miles round trip a day, then that should be more than enough to top off back to full or near full every night. In some situations you can also get away with the up to 1.9kW level 1 charging which gets you in the range of 3 to 6 miles per hour of charging depending on the vehicle which might be fine for some.

Superchargers right now can charge at 250kW rates, but that's not what you're using at home unless you're really ridiculous.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 01-03-2020 at 10:04 AM..

Old 01-03-2020, 10:21 AM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
:
:
Superchargers right now can charge at 250kW rates, but that's not what you're using at home unless you're really ridiculous.
My understanding is that most EVs can't accept these high charging rates either?

Old 01-03-2020, 02:15 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
If a Supercharger consumes 150KW for a rapid charge, then the power required for a slower all-night charge would be approximately 15-20KW.
15-20... not even close. A Cadillac ELR's charge rate is 3.3 kwh. Most Volt/ELR owners charge at Level 1.
There's absolutely no need to charge faster than that, it's not going to strand me if it's not full.
Or I can just take the other car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
And you still need gasoline for you generator lol
Nope.
This is not some rinky-dink portable generator. It's a big 22 kw thing... and it runs on natural gas.
When you have one of these, the power is NEVER out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
While the initial cost of buying an EV and setting up the home-charging system costs more than you'd pay for a new ICE, the subsequent operating costs, both refueling and repair/maintenance, are lower.
If I cared about that, I'd buy a Spark EV.
I like Cadillacs and IMO the ELR is the best looking car they've made in a long time.

Last edited by eaton53; 01-03-2020 at 02:38 PM..

Old 01-04-2020, 08:30 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
That's one of the reasons I wouldn't get an EV. There won't be enough charging stations in my driving lifetime (I'm over 60). Of course, cost is the main reason. They're expensive, I think.

I think they are the future, though. Just not my future, unfortunately. I'd love to have one. Simpler, less maintenance, cleaner.
I disagree. Tesla’s supercharger network is already at a point where you can drive basically anywhere in the US and many places in Canada and Mexico with no issues. In the last week we drove from Minneapolis down to San Antonio and back and there was never a time where we didn’t have multiple charging options available to us. One of the chargers was half-occupied but beyond that there were maybe 1 or 2 other vehicles charging at most so we never had to wait to be able to charge. We’ve had the same experience when driving to Denver, Chicago, Rapid City, Milwaukee, etc.

Old 01-04-2020, 09:16 AM

8,328 posts, read 6,419,063 times
Obviously if electric cars sales increase then finding a charge place that isn't full will be long gone

Old 01-04-2020, 09:20 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Obviously if electric cars sales increase then finding a charge place that isn't full will be long gone

That's assuming no more charging stations will be built. How do you figure that to be a fact?

Jesus, quit worrying about charging infrastructure, It's being built out as we speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive