Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 06:00 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,044,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I read something recently that said majority of the big trucking companies put speed limiters on their tractor trailers so they can only do 65 mph and NO faster to get cheaper insurance rates...But I do not think that is correct, because I see tractor trailers going very fast on our expressways, unless its a grade, they are normally doing around 75-85mph.

There are a few spots in my city where the speed limit is actually 25! That is nothing but a money grab, they know, that hardly anyone is going to go THAT slow, and what do you know, cops are known for giving tickets in this area, even if its 5mph over.
I agree that trucks should have a low speed limit. Trucks take twice as long to stop as other vehicles, so their speed limit should be set accordingly. I liked the way Montana used to do it, in the reasonable and prudent days. They had two speed limits. One for trucks, and one for all vehicles at night. That was it, and that is the way it should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 06:03 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,044,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
It's pretty much 55 anywhere in the state, although I've heard there's a section of the new highway where folks can go 60. Not that it really matters, most folks don't go all that fast. There is a minimum speed limit on parts of the highway where you have to at least go 40 mph. This is Hawaii, we don't generally rush around all that much.
Well, that's easy when you are living on a very small island.

Old 01-05-2020, 09:52 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,118,345 times
Most highways here, 90 kph (56 mph), but on some it's 120 kph (75 mph)

Old 01-06-2020, 05:45 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,409,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I agree that trucks should have a low speed limit. Trucks take twice as long to stop as other vehicles, so their speed limit should be set accordingly. I liked the way Montana used to do it, in the reasonable and prudent days. They had two speed limits. One for trucks, and one for all vehicles at night. That was it, and that is the way it should be.
A owner operator cannot be forced to put speed limiter on their rigs. The trucks you see going faster than you want are most likely a owner operator rig meaning they own the truck, just like you own you vehicle. Do you want someone to tell you that you have to put a speed limiter on your vehicle. Give truckers a break they keep America rolling. Everything you buy, eat or wear are delivered to your local retailer by a semi truck have you ever seen a train backed up at your local Walmart. Also if more restrictions are put on big rigs be prepared to pay more money for everything you eat or buy because like anything else in live the increase is passed down to consumers the trucking industry isn’t going to eat the cost.

Old 01-06-2020, 05:52 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,609,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
When the 75 freeway crosses Detroit city limits it drops from 70 to 55. Most people still go 80. There is no reason for the Detroit limit of 55. Nothing changes on or alongside the freeway. It makes no sense other than revenue generation for the city whenever the local police want to go out and make some money on tickets. However in roughly 4800 trips to/from the city, I have never been pulled over and rarely seen any cars pulled over for speeding in that area. The ones who get pulled over are the 100 mph yahoos (typically in Audis (Audiots) or on motorcycles). So, if it was meant to be a speed trap, the police do not seem all that interested in enforcing it.
There are 70mph speed limits in the city of Detroit - I96, for example.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:15 AM

4,930 posts, read 3,043,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Incorrect. If posted speed limits are based on 85th percentile measured vehicle speeds, "everyone" will not be exceeding the limit. As we know, nearly all speed limits in the US are based on the whims of local politicians/law enforcement/insurance companies for revenue generation purposes. I am still waiting for the bloodbath that was supposed to occur on American roads when the 55 limit was abolished.
You changed my posted "some" to "everyone":

"46.1 percent of drivers say they have driven 15 mph over the speed limit on a freeway in the past month, and more than 20 percent say it is acceptable to do so."
https://www.ncsl.org/research/transp...ed-limits.aspx

Old 01-06-2020, 07:46 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,609,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
You changed my posted "some" to "everyone":

"46.1 percent of drivers say they have driven 15 mph over the speed limit on a freeway in the past month, and more than 20 percent say it is acceptable to do so."
https://www.ncsl.org/research/transp...ed-limits.aspx
That's what happens when speed limits are underposted. American speed limits have nothing to do about safety and everything to do about revenue generation.

Old 01-06-2020, 08:53 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Here in NC the speed limits are usually 35 MPH in town unless otherwise posted. Out of town the speed limit rises to 55 MPH unless otherwise posted and the road conditions can warrant going 55 MPH (the Highway Patrol writes a lot of tickets for driving faster than is safe even if you're at 55 MPH. This usually happens after an accident). Freeway roads are usually 60 MPH. Interstates and controlled access roads can be up to 70 MPH.

Old 01-06-2020, 10:53 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,209,687 times
In my Florida beach town there are a couple of 25 MPH areas, one street is 30MPH and everything else is 35MPH including the four lane A1A.

Old 01-06-2020, 12:29 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,655,555 times
My car's speed is electronically governed to 180mph maximum. I only topped 140 mph so far in this one. I wish we had a few stretches of interstate without speed restrictions similar to the autobahn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive