Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 07:27 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,419,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
New batteries are designed to fail / weak components...
Several dealers have told me that is the situation (I had to buy (6) HD batteries last yr (1200CCA) / 4 car / 3 MC / Mower. None of these was expected to fail and all were under 5 yr life. On the other hand... I have a 16 yo Costco Kirkland (pre-Interstate) on one of my diesel pickups, and a set of 12 yr old Les Schwab in my dozer. (Neither are made of that quality any more)

suggestion... Buy a FULL replacement warranty and take it back 1 month before free replacement expires.
I also have discovered that the Interstate costco batteries are junk. I have had 3 of my last 5 go dead well before the warranty was up. The best battery I ever had was also an interstate(green one ) it lasted over 10 years. They dont make those anymore..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 08:46 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,520,698 times
A Battery Tender is a brand name. A trickle charger is something else. I bought my Battery Tender a few years back. Did quite a bit of Google.

My dealer service writer said as several have above. Too many computers running all the time. He told me he has seen new cars go battery dead in 3 days.

Old 01-06-2020, 08:48 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
I also have discovered that the Interstate costco batteries are junk. I have had 3 of my last 5 go dead well before the warranty was up. The best battery I ever had was also an interstate(green one ) it lasted over 10 years. They dont make those anymore..
Yes, they do. The one I bought in April is a green-topped Interstate. The shop guy said he had stopped using Optimas for his own vehicle for the same reason I did, and he was happy with the Interstates.

Old 01-07-2020, 05:53 AM

6,452 posts, read 3,147,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Deka makes a good battery. They've put significant amounts of money into their production facilities. East Penn is the actual name of the company. They also make Super Start batteries.

I have a Deka battery in one of my mowers and it's about 7 years old now. I just replaced the battery in my truck yesterday. It was about 6 years old.

Yes, I've heard good things about the Deka batteries, but unfortunately, they're not widely available, although I recently purchased a garden tractor battery at my local NAPA store, and it was listed as an East Penn manufactured battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I am sure the C7 sucks even more juice just sitting over a C5 or a C6. So far my Vette is starting fine. Are the Leadfoot4 from the Corvette forums? I used to post in OT.

Looks like you found me.....

Old 01-07-2020, 06:39 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Yes, I've heard good things about the Deka batteries, but unfortunately, they're not widely available, although I recently purchased a garden tractor battery at my local NAPA store, and it was listed as an East Penn manufactured battery.

Looks like you found me.....
Mods really made OT not much fun anymore.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:15 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,062 times
Mid grade Exide battery I replaced year ago was recommended size and lasted 7 years. Prices of batteries had zoomed, and they were out of the mid grade. I bought some noname Hecho En Mexico battery, but got biggest highest CCA one that I could make fit. Seriously looks very oversized when I open hood of my little car. Been a year and not slightest problem though it only had a 90day full factory replacement warranty. Being an economy battery, figure be lucky to get two or three years out of it. But being quite oversized for the car, it is less stressed starting the car. So who knows, might last longer.

Old 01-07-2020, 08:31 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
A Battery Tender is a brand name. A trickle charger is something else. I bought my Battery Tender a few years back. Did quite a bit of Google.

My dealer service writer said as several have above. Too many computers running all the time. He told me he has seen new cars go battery dead in 3 days.
It only happens if they have an open circuit such as doors, seat warmers, or airbag sensors that are not wired correctly. Have a multimeter or hook up a ODB2 checker to check the battery drain.

Old 01-08-2020, 07:03 AM

6,452 posts, read 3,147,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Mods really made OT not much fun anymore.

I don't know about that....it still gets a little "spicy", for the most part. I didn't rack up 60,000+ posts just talking about cars!!

Old 01-08-2020, 07:23 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Sick and damn tired of the old men on this website saying things suck today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I haven't had a 12v lasted less than 5 years.
Same here. Just replaced the battery in my 2013 Volvo... that's 5 years.
Battery in my Mazda is now 3 years old and perfectly fine.

Maybe OP just got a bad battery? That happens.

Old 01-08-2020, 05:10 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I don't know about that....it still gets a little "spicy", for the most part. I didn't rack up 60,000+ posts just talking about cars!!

I guess you know who i was over there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive