Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 11:40 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,104,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Agreed. Manual trannies save lives, and are a better safety option than all the bells and whistles that breed complacency.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/23/o...x79gDWsrBVvzbM
According to the article, one study found that driving a manual transmission appeared to help a select group of males with ADHD maintain better focus while driving, however, one psychiatrist's opinion does not mean these findings will benefit the general population overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 12:05 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,321,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
According to the article, one study found that driving a manual transmission appeared to help a select group of males with ADHD maintain better focus while driving, however, one psychiatrist's opinion does not mean these findings will benefit the general population overall.

Yup. I don't have ADHD and have been driving manuals and automatics for decades with no issues. I have the same focus driving my manual sports car as I have driving my automatic sport sedan or my single speed EV. The problem is not in the tool being used, but in the tool USING the tool.

Old 01-07-2020, 12:07 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
People get bored driving automatics and consciously or not, they fill that boredom with things that often are dangerously entertaining.

Driving a manual is interesting and NOT dangerously entertaining because it puts more emphasis on being in sync with the surroundings. The driver tends to look ahead, including much farther so than staring with blind faith at the brake lights of the car immediately in front. The driver becomes very aware of where in the rpm range the vehicle accelerates most quickly OR gets the best mpg OR where the tires grab just enough up a dirt slope to get going without any wheelspin, and so on.

Automatics shift, too...but the drivers likely don’t know when unless it is a foot stomp occasion.
With highway driving, it can be boring whether it's a stick or automatic.

I always look ahead when driving. It is a good habit when driving either a stick or automatic.

I have had several cars with automatics with shift kits and I definitely knew when they shifted because it was immediate and firm (could chirp the tires from 1-2 and 2-3).

Again, I have owned several cars with automatics. One was a '66 Dodge Dart GT V-8. I drove it regularly for 16 years and always knew when it lost traction. It had a Torqueflite automatic with a B&M shift kit.

Old 01-07-2020, 12:21 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,104,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
There is a reason why stick shifts have almost gone the way of the dinosaur. Very few people actually want them. In most cases automatics get better gas mileage than the 6 speed manual and from what I see, many manuals cost more than the automatic. In a few years the only manuals left will be in high performance cars.
DING-DING-DING!!! Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

The overwhelming majority of drivers don't want to get rid of automatic transmissions because of their efficiency, reliability, convenience, and necessity for some drivers with mobility issues or limited physical ability.

Automatic transmissions have been developed to such a high degree that the only "advantage" of a manual transmission virtually boils down to simply a preference.

Old 01-07-2020, 12:40 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,421,472 times
I wonder how many here who've responded to this thread or will respond favoring a manual transmission, actually in fact currently drive one on their normal commute/daily ? Probably few. And how many consistently only purchase manuals.

People pay with their wallets and, generally speaking, no one wants manuals in the U.S.

It's different in certain other countries where it is actually the opposite. I was in a country in SE Asia for 2 weeks last year, and everyone, from my cousin to almost all the rideshare and bus drivers all drove manual transmission.

Old 01-07-2020, 12:50 PM

11,343 posts, read 16,699,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
I wonder how many here who've responded to this thread or will respond favoring a manual transmission, actually in fact currently drive one on their normal commute/daily ? Probably few. And how many consistently only purchase manuals.

People pay with their wallets and, generally speaking, no one wants manuals in the U.S.

It's different in certain other countries where it is actually the opposite. I was in a country in SE Asia for 2 weeks last year, and everyone, from my cousin to almost all the rideshare and bus drivers all drove manual transmission.
While I'm retired now, was driving a manual trans for my commute since 1973 - 2019 and most of those years were on the GSP.

Old 01-07-2020, 01:06 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,257,461 times
Quote:

Here's one.

Got my driver's license in 1976. I've never owned a car with an automatic transmission.

Old 01-07-2020, 01:23 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,417,858 times
Self driving cars are great as long as they arent driving on the same ROADS WITH CARS WHICH ARE NOT..... tHERE IS NO SELF DRIVING CAR THAT CAN KNOW WHEN A FOOL WILL SUDDENLY FOR NO REASON SLAM ON THE BRAKES OR PULL OUT IN FRONT OF YOU. LOL

Old 01-07-2020, 01:26 PM

807 posts, read 689,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Here's one.

Got my driver's license in 1976. I've never owned a car with an automatic transmission.
Haven't been driving as long, but I've never owned anything with an automatic either.

Old 01-07-2020, 01:43 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,143,233 times
Quote:
We have and do own both but prefer a manual over automatic. My 16 year old was taught to drive in a manual. Yes, we are members of the Manual Gearbox Preservation Society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive