Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 08:22 PM

17,720 posts, read 13,428,040 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziue...&feature=share

I posted this here because there are still some car enthusiast on here left, so I hope the mods don’t move it.

I have always been a fan of the Mazda Miata ever since driving an NA. That’s the first generation of Miata, then it goes NB, NC, ND is the current generation of Miata. This video focuses on if the Miata IS always the answer even myself and some others have made this claim. The new Miata is pushing 30K easy which isn’t bad but at that price point these days has a lot of competition.

My argument is that there are few cars these days that can boast rear wheel drive and a drop top with one of the best manual gearboxes out there. On a tight two lane road you would be hard pressed to find another car that you make you smile as much. Even a used Miata will cost you less then 10K depending on the model you get, what else can you get for that price point that will make you smile has much?! I’ve had a 914 2.0 at one time and a 911 T which I wish I still had considering everything. Had a Fiat X-19 for a very short time that was the closest thing that I can remember making me smile as much.

I’ve never owned a Miata and I cannot afford a new one but a nice NC 2.0 that I could afford. The Subaru BRZ probably comes the closest to the Miata being four cylinder with a manual gearbox. For those of you who have/had a Miata what else is out that that has giggle factor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 08:39 PM

13,574 posts, read 9,590,473 times
There's really nothing comparable. I've examined alternatives - Cayman/Boxster, Corvette, M3... All are heavier, bulkier, more anodyne and distant. They're all optimized to be effective at high speeds. A car optimized for high speeds is ponderous and feels disconnected at low speeds. And this includes some very capable sports cars.

Viable alternatives are few. One is the Lotus Elise/Exige. But they're finicky and expensive. Another is a kit Shelby Cobra. But those are going to be expensive. Still others are Lotus 7-inspired kit cars, or an Ariel Atom. Again expensive; and far less practical than the Miata, because they don't work in inclement weather.

Miatas are plausible daily drivers, even in demanding circumstances. I've driven an NA in an Ohio winter, right through the "polar vortex" (sub zero F temperatures, heavy snow). Use proper snow tires, and get the fiberglass hard-top.

For extra power, consider an engine swap, or a turbocharger or supercharger. The aftermarket is vast.

Old 01-09-2020, 08:55 PM

8,250 posts, read 6,309,486 times
I have a 95 Honda Del Sol which was Honda's competitor to the Miata. Mine has the rare DOHC Vtec engine and is the nicest car to drive I have ever driven. I have never driven a Miata. I parked next to a NC the other day and they both are the same size.

Old 01-09-2020, 09:04 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,387,296 times
1973 Jensen Healey. With a few minor mods rivals the Miata. Even beats them in SCCA competition sometimes. Bigger smile factor because it is unique, sounds awesome and has my name on it.

Old 01-10-2020, 12:41 AM

13,574 posts, read 9,590,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
1973 Jensen Healey. With a few minor mods rivals the Miata. Even beats them in SCCA competition sometimes. Bigger smile factor because it is unique, sounds awesome and has my name on it.
20 years older. Lucas electricals, no? And perhaps a bit hard to find, in 2020 America? Might as well include products by Triumph, MG, Austin or TVR.

Old 01-10-2020, 12:46 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,082,245 times
Hrm...Miata vs my 718 GTS?

Both fun AF, but I wouldn't say the Miata wins that one in the fit, finish, fun category.

Old 01-10-2020, 01:06 AM

8,340 posts, read 4,586,423 times
Ehhhhh...it’s always the answer if what you want is an economical fun car for the purist. But there’s a lot of good enthusiast iron. Fiesta ST gets awfully close on a budget with added practicality. Old Porsche Boxsters are more polished cars if you don’t mind a higher investment or the snobbish Porsche image. You could go dark horse with a Focus SVT, or get an 86 and fix the torque dip issues. There’s no wrong answer, and the Miata is always a solid choice - just maybe not always the choice.

Old 01-10-2020, 05:30 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,173,948 times
They're hard to beat if you want a cheap roadster.
I owned one for 9 years and the only thing that broke was the right side roof latch. Didn't cost much to fix that.

The FIAT version may be an even cheaper option.
I haven't checked, but the resale value of FIAT's other cars is not that great.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:24 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,312,825 times
My old boss had one in metro Detroit but got rid off it when winter came because it’s on vehicle you don’t drive on snow if you value your life.

Old 01-10-2020, 07:41 AM

9,339 posts, read 6,880,975 times
yes it is.. A used '19 ND2 Club Non-Brembo/BBS in soft top and manual trans in soul crystal red for ~ $25k is the ultimate Miata or frankly car that one can buy. If you hate a bit of body roll throw on some fox coilover for $1k. If you want more exhaust get the flyin miata hush-o-matic active exhaust (no drone). If you want to track it then skip brembos and get the wildwood brake kits. It truly is a great experience to drive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive