Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 11:48 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times

Advertisements

I am nearly finished paying off my car. Something I have never done before. All my cars have been older, MUCH older, used models, paid cash, or they were traded in prior to paying them off.

I received this nifty email.

COMPLETING YOUR FINANCING CONTRACT

Congratulations! In just a few short months, your Honda Financial Services financing contract will reach its conclusion. And after making that last payment, your title will be released and sent to you in the mail, and the vehicle you've been financing will officially be all yours.

So what comes next? Negotiating a trade-in with your dealer may be a great way to come up with a down payment for your next vehicle. You can also sell your vehicle privately, or keep driving it for years to come - it's your decision to make.

I am keeping this baby, even though it has 230K racked up on it. My original plan was to get that brand new pickup I have always wanted. I even found a V6 Toyota Tundra, down to $20K from its sticker $25K.

But the recent gas GOUGING, has made me rethink getting a full-sized p/u. Maybe I need to look 5 years down the road and stick with a 4 cyl. p/u.

Anyone else remember paying off their first new car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 12:19 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Congratulations...

All of my Cars have been second hand... some running and others I had to tow home with the exception of one new one...

I vote to drive it till the wheels "Almost" fall off.

My neighbor has a Honda Accord she bought new and is nearing 400k on the original engine. She commutes from the Oakland to Stockton for work and racks up the miles.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:56 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times
I've paid off a few cars I took loans out for. Only one of them had a lien on the title. Feels good to get it off your back doesn't it?

Yes I'd hold off on buying a gas guzzler. Last thing you want to do is make OPEC sell gas easier. Make them work for their dollar.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:20 AM

652 posts, read 2,663,242 times
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am getting ready to buy my first new car. I keep going into sticker shock and buyers remorse and I am still a month or two away! LOL
I would reccomend to continue the payments to yourself in a "car" account. that has worked great for me. typically we have $200 per month going in that account and throw extra in it here and there. all of our vehicles are ancient. We now have about 17k toward the 30k vehicle. there are a lot of cars I could get for that 17k. I wonder if i'll chicken out at last minute.

good luck

Old 04-22-2008, 10:07 AM

30K car? What the heck kind of car are you shooting for?

I love the bargaining aspect of getting a new car. I have never paid sticker and never will. Also, if I don't like the salesman, he's not making any commission off of me.

Putting the money into a "car account" is a good idea, but a pipe dream for me. I owe too much on too many other bills. Student loans suck.

We are going to sell our old 94 chevy p/u, which only has 80K miles on it. The dealer pretty much said he would make me an offer on the p/u as a trade-in, but the offer would make me mad.

Not sure where to advertise to sell our p/u. Truck trader?

Old 04-22-2008, 10:28 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post

We are going to sell our old 94 chevy p/u, which only has 80K miles on it. The dealer pretty much said he would make me an offer on the p/u as a trade-in, but the offer would make me mad.

Yep, a dealer will only give you the wholesale value of it. I have attended a few of those dealer auctions where the dealers go to trade with other dealers. It's amazing how cheap some of those vehicles are, and that's the price they expect to pay YOU. When you trade a vehicle in you're practically giving it to them.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:00 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,766 times
Quote:
I am nearly finished paying off my car. Something I have never done before. All my cars have been older, MUCH older, used models, paid cash, or they were traded in prior to paying them off.

I received this nifty email.

COMPLETING YOUR FINANCING CONTRACT

Congratulations! In just a few short months, your Honda Financial Services financing contract will reach its conclusion. And after making that last payment, your title will be released and sent to you in the mail, and the vehicle you've been financing will officially be all yours.

So what comes next? Negotiating a trade-in with your dealer may be a great way to come up with a down payment for your next vehicle. You can also sell your vehicle privately, or keep driving it for years to come - it's your decision to make.

I am keeping this baby, even though it has 230K racked up on it. My original plan was to get that brand new pickup I have always wanted. I even found a V6 Toyota Tundra, down to $20K from its sticker $25K.

But the recent gas GOUGING, has made me rethink getting a full-sized p/u. Maybe I need to look 5 years down the road and stick with a 4 cyl. p/u.

Anyone else remember paying off their first new car?
Congrats! 230,000 miles is a lot of miles. I paid off one car last year and then not long after I paid it off I bought another one.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:32 PM

652 posts, read 2,663,242 times
Quote:
30K car? What the heck kind of car are you shooting for?

I love the bargaining aspect of getting a new car. I have never paid sticker and never will. Also, if I don't like the salesman, he's not making any commission off of me.

Putting the money into a "car account" is a good idea, but a pipe dream for me. I owe too much on too many other bills. Student loans suck.

I'm getting a volkswagen Eos. hoping to pay 30k but around where I am everyone wants 33-36k. I'm willing to travel though
I am fortunate not to have any loans. even when I had credit cards though I would still put $50 per month in a "car account". that also helped me when I had major repairs that I couldnt pay for out of my paycheck.
The truck trader is good, local paper, and some areas have free local internet advertising. I'm getting ready to put my 94 explorer(164k miles ) in a few of the free ones and then I'll shoot for paying for the paper. I would bet yours should sell pretty fast with only 80k miles. depending on where you are.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:54 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,134,384 times
If you're smart, you pay your car with cash. Even if it's a Maybach.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailvasally View Post
I'm getting a volkswagen Eos. hoping to pay 30k but around where I am everyone wants 33-36k. I'm willing to travel though

The truck trader is good, local paper, and some areas have free local internet advertising.
I would bet yours should sell pretty fast with only 80k miles. depending on where you are.
I never heard of Eos until now. Pretty cool car. I am in OK, and checked out comparable vehicles in truck trader. Someone else is asking $5,500 for a 94 Chevy Silverado. Man, that's high!

Kind of hard to NOT buy another vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive