Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What keeps you from buying an electric vehicle?
Price 33 30.56%
Performance 2 1.85%
Convenience/Logistics (range anxiety, lack of charging spots, etc) 58 53.70%
Other (please specify) 15 13.89%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 07:33 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,323,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Tell that to my electric bill in the summer.

But, he's right about EV AC systems. In the summer, no indicated range is used by the AC. On my Volt, summer is when it has max range (45 miles indicated) and with the AC running I can still exceed 50 actual miles of electric range. With my Bolt, summer is where max range of 259 miles is shown, and we can exceed that by quite a bit even with the AC running.

In the winter, however, range is reduced by the heat running. Which is why you preheat while plugged in so that the heater isn't working very hard to bring the temp up once you get in to drive it. AND you run the heated seats and steering wheel (which run off the 12v battery) so as to not need the car to be as warm inside, ALSO increasing range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2020, 09:32 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Tell that to my electric bill in the summer.
Do you live in your car? No shade intended, just curious.

Old 02-25-2020, 05:18 AM

1,069 posts, read 786,621 times
Default What keeps you from buying an electric vehicle. Battery costs, Resale value, Support in rural area's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
I think the electric cars have not been on the market long enough to prove their long term reliability and cost. For example just how many years are the batteries guaranteed ? How much to replace them etc. We dont have all the data yet.

What keeps you from buying an electric vehicle? Battery costs, Resale value, Support in rural area's.

Here is a link to 106 Tesla's that have sold on ebay in the last 90 days.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...w=tesla&_sop=2

Here is a good example of discount battery prices available on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/i/114082526248?...CABEgIDKvD_BwE

Support in rural area's speaks for itself. I just received a federal D.O.T. high voltage vehicle inspection certificate. Took the course out of curiosity. With a back round of industrial electricity and computers another question comes to mind. We used to physically tag and lock out equipment to work on it. Here is another example of an electric car future nobody talks about.

https://www.ft.com/content/163f08c6-...9-8c855179f1c4

Old 02-25-2020, 10:27 AM

652 posts, read 681,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by User_Error View Post
What keeps you from buying an electric vehicle?
I just don't trust them and I would hate to work on them if they break down

Old 02-25-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RME40 View Post
I just don't trust them and I would hate to work on them if they break down

That sounds like the complaint leveled against electronic ignition and electronic fuel injection back in the day.

Watch Rich Rebuilds rebuild a few salvaged Teslas and you'll see that it's not that hard.

Old 02-25-2020, 02:16 PM

984 posts, read 2,712,208 times
I feel a better option for EVs would have been a system with exchangable battery packs. You would have say 2 in each car. These would be universal and you would be able to stop at something similar to a gas station and for a fee swap out your depleted packs for fully charged ones.

This would also allow people to keep a few extra in the trunk for extra long trips where exchange stations might be less common.

Old 02-25-2020, 02:37 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post
I feel a better option for EVs would have been a system with exchangable battery packs. You would have say 2 in each car. These would be universal and you would be able to stop at something similar to a gas station and for a fee swap out your depleted packs for fully charged ones.

This would also allow people to keep a few extra in the trunk for extra long trips where exchange stations might be less common.
Do you realize these batteries weigh over a thousand pounds?

Old 02-25-2020, 05:34 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc3565 View Post

Swapping batteries has worked well for electric bikes and mopeds so far. However, bikes and mopeds are quite light and aren’t meant to be ridden at highway speeds, so they are very efficient. That efficiency means that the batteries can be quite small by weight and volume and are easy for a single person to swap out by hand and the footprint of battery swapping stations to be very small. For automobiles and the way most people use them, the batteries, even if split into two, three, or more would be so heavy and possibly unwieldy that swapping by hand for a single person would be quite difficult while having it automated and mechanized would be quite expensive per stall.

Battery energy densities by weight and volume would need to improve by about two orders of magnitude for this to be really viable, and while the density is improving pretty quickly, that kind of improvement would mean accelerating improvements to a massive degree if it’s to be possible within the next couple decades.

Meanwhile, fast charging has significantly improved in a short time period with the top fast chargers with production vehicles that can use them in 2012 hitting a top rate of 90kW compared to the top rate of 270kW today. The long range variant of the Model 3 can add 75 miles in 5 minutes at a peak rate of 250kW, and if that rate improvement were continued linearly, then it would in the short term obviate a need for battery swapping. If that improvement rate ended up being an exponential rate, then fast charging would be faster that filling up a fuel tank now by the end of this decade.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 02-25-2020 at 05:59 PM..

Old 02-25-2020, 05:37 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,738,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
That sounds like the complaint leveled against electronic ignition and electronic fuel injection back in the day.

Watch Rich Rebuilds rebuild a few salvaged Teslas and you'll see that it's not that hard.
I still criticize electronic fuel injection now and then. I do like a good carburetor!

Old 02-26-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I still criticize electronic fuel injection now and then. I do like a good carburetor!

There's no such thing a s a 'good carburetor'. lol. Injection is better in every single way. And it's so easy to add to older engines and makes a HUGE difference in power, reliability and drivability. It's the reason we can have 700-800 hp factory cars with the drivability and reliability of a 300hp car. The only time I'd use a carb anymore is for a period correct restoration. Same with points in a distributor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive