Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What keeps you from buying an electric vehicle?
Price 33 30.56%
Performance 2 1.85%
Convenience/Logistics (range anxiety, lack of charging spots, etc) 58 53.70%
Other (please specify) 15 13.89%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 02:09 PM

8,530 posts, read 4,766,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Why build a big battery for that and not use it 90% of the time? That's a lot of weight and capacity going to waste. You NEED that sort of range when you can't fill your gasoline tank every night while you sleep. Most people simply don't need it if they start each day with a full tank.

Trust me, living with one it's a paradigm shift in what you think you need.
I realize I’m an exception to the rule, but I probably would need that kind of range for an EV to be practical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 02:43 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,738,077 times
lol you ain't the only on not buying those things?

https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...v-sales-fizzle

Old 01-21-2020, 03:04 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,313,982 times
A bottom of the range Tesla costs about $US60,000 here.

Old 01-21-2020, 03:15 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,443,427 times
The way I see things as they stand today, is as follows:

Gas...

... is good 'til the last drop. The first gallon makes just as much HP.TQ as the last. EV's, for reasons of voltage stability and battery longevity, must stay within 20-80% SoC per most manufacturers' specs.
... tanks can be filled in 1-2 minutes.
... is readily available in seemingly remote areas with limited access to power infrastructure, via pre-existing agreements with mom & pop stations.

Electricity...

... takes 30 minutes for DC fast charge, not all cars have this, not NEARLY all EV's have even 300 miles of range.
... chargers may not be in a location where I can do anything else productive (eat, shop, grab a coffee) while I wait. If they are, I MUST be back at the charger in EXACTLY the stop time, or I'm penalized. If they are not, I would need to STOP AGAIN.
... just puts another high-draw appliance on the electrical grid. We are going to end up with TWO peak rates, one during midday, and the other overnight, for all the people charging their cars, once market penetration is more significant.

Even a L2 home charger can rival central HVAC as the highest wattage household appliance. I don't think it would take much for PoCo's to charge a separate, higher kWh rate for EV chargers. All they need to do is know the wattage at which they operate, which they can already do, looking at the home energy reports they sent. They look at the meter deltas and each fluctuation falls into a category "oh, this must be a lightbulb!" / "oh, this must be the A/C!".

Old 01-21-2020, 06:15 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,250,189 times
I will probably have an electric sports car in the future. But as of right now, I haven't for performance reasons. About the only current electric sports car beating my 911 turbo is the Rimac Concept One... which costs over $1 mil. For that kind of money, I could have an even faster gas powered car.

But it's coming, that seems pretty clear. Porsche owns 16% of Rimac now, and have come out with their own fully electric vehicle recently, the Taycan. An electric 911 is coming, definitely. It may take 10-20 years but eventually the cost/performance ratio will favor electric cars over ICE cars, and when it does I'll have one.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:36 PM

15,505 posts, read 7,538,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
3 things... One is I want a heavy car that will protect me more in an accident, 2 I dont drive enough to care about saving money on gas, 3 they can be very dangerous to work on if you are diy person
Heavy doesn't mean more protection.

There's very little to work on on an EV. Brakes, tires, and suspension is about it, and not much work for the brakes, since regenerative braking makes the brakes last longer.

Old 01-21-2020, 09:23 PM

306 posts, read 329,004 times
I would miss the rumble of my V8 engine!

Old 01-22-2020, 02:11 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,389,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
All of the above the range of an Electric car is no better then most cars these days not to mention I like to be able to pass people. As a driving enthusiast that’s nothing exciting about an electric car.
You have obviously not driven a Tesla or read many reviews on them. The current fastest car tested is an EV.

Old 01-22-2020, 02:15 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,389,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I don't think we will ever buy one. Cost, range, danger of batteries in case of fire or wreck plus I just think electric cars are a scam sold on fear of "climate change"
Don't subscribe all EV users as doing it for climate change - I own several EVs and none were bought because of climate change fear.

Also according to NHTSA, there is more danger of an ICE vehicle catching fire in a crash than an EV.

Old 01-22-2020, 06:09 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,668,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Don't subscribe all EV users as doing it for climate change - I own several EVs and none were bought because of climate change fear.

Also according to NHTSA, there is more danger of an ICE vehicle catching fire in a crash than an EV.
This is me. I didn't buy a Volt to be "green", I bought it because I like it, and I like the quietness cruising around town in EV mode.

My spouse actually works for an oil company, and there's no way he'd tell any of his coworkers that we bought this car. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive