Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 03:33 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,765,913 times

Advertisements

I guess I'm out of "Rate this positively"... not sure how that works - tried to rep some of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2020, 03:41 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I wonder what credentials Brittany Chang has that gives her any insight to the list? Around here, it's a list of foreign cars and trucks that you rarely see and if you do, they're exhaust smoking junkers that nobody really wants to drive. It's folks that have no other car to drive and can't afford anything better. Some of these on the list have been owned by friends and family. None of those folks will never have another one. But back to Ms Chang, does she really think the 2000 Tundra compares to the likes of the F150 or the Silverado as lasting longer? It's probably been months since I've seen that generation of Tundra. Can't hardly step outside and not see the same generation F150 or Silverado. Jeez, you can even see more Rams. So as polls go, this is like any of them, generated by people that have no clue but it's their job to come up with something. Rarely do you see any foreign made old cars. The last Cressida I saw was probably 10 years ago. The early Supra I haven't seen one in over 10 years. But I see lots of Mustangs all the way back to the 60's. So much for Changs diatribe on cars. She's absolutely clueless.

'
There's plenty of 1st gen Tundras in my area, and I own one, a 2002 with over 210k miles on it.

As far as the F-150, the 2000's models (with the 5.4) are quickly declining due to the cam phaser issue that makes them not worth fixing.

Old 01-26-2020, 04:05 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
So the conclusion is that many vehicles with a reputation for reliability are purchased by 'buy and hold until it falls apart' buyers. Which, hey, earth-shattering revelation there. Perception of reliability in modern vehicles vs. quantitative evidence of reliability is a different article.

Old 01-26-2020, 05:41 PM

8 posts, read 4,988 times
>>The firm analyzed over 350,000 used cars made during the 1981 to 2004 model year

Those years the cars were bulletproof. The 1995-1996 Camry was absolutely indestructible. Pre 2004 Outbacks were super once you took care of the head gasket. Later Subarus not so good as CVTS are epic fails.

Old 01-26-2020, 05:47 PM

12,379 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Our Toyota Corolla is 12 years old and our Honda Accord is 10. They have just required regular maintenance, new tires and brakes. We have never had such awesome cars. Our Volvo was a expensive money pit.
My Volvo was also a money pit. But my Hondas gave faithful service without requiring much from me. They kept me happy enough to be buying Hondas for almost 30 years. Finally bought a Subaru to try something else ;-)

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 01-26-2020 at 06:03 PM..

Old 01-26-2020, 06:44 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
We have had two vehicles kept 15 or more years. We still drive them regularly and have no plans to replace them any time soon.

The oldest one, a Chevy, is 23 years old. The other one, a Nissan, is 15 years old.

The next-longest-kept vehicles were a Subaru (kept just shy of 14 years) and a Toyota (kept about 12.5 years).

All of the above we bought new, did routine maintenance on ourselves, and were/are reliable.

A friend bought an ‘00 Toyota when it was a year or two old. Last mileage report I heard had it at 240,000 miles.

Old 01-26-2020, 07:08 PM

830 posts, read 486,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
So the conclusion is that many vehicles with a reputation for reliability are purchased by 'buy and hold until it falls apart' buyers. Which, hey, earth-shattering revelation there. Perception of reliability in modern vehicles vs. quantitative evidence of reliability is a different article.
Yeah, I think that is (at most) what can be concluded.

Frugal types tend to buy inexpensive cars with reputation for reliability (Toyota, Honda, etc) and then hold onto them for a long time.

Old 01-26-2020, 07:18 PM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Not the kind of news the "Buy American" crowd likes to hear (though multiple foreign cars are actually made IN America), but not surprised.

Even with the big three U.S. automakers supposedly upping their game the past few decades, time after time the end results are the same.

https://www.businessinsider.com/15-c...edium=referral

Not really.

https://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/...die/index.html

Old 01-26-2020, 08:30 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Then you need to get out more. My girl lived in Hendersonville, N. Carolina until last year when she moved to Charleston. It was RARE to see a foreign make car/truck in N Carolina where you claim you don't see the best selling cars and trucks in the world. So saddle up yer horse and go into town and take a realistic look at what's going on in the world.
Not to say I understand your post, but certainly Yer Guurrll must know that BWM, Honda, Toyota, Volvo, BWM and Mercedes...as well as others....are American made?

Perhaps she doesn't know of all the plants in SC? BMW, Mercedes and Volvo are three of them.....

My Toyota is KY made.

Honda Accord is the largest selling car in NC.

Saddle up and head to the upper midwest if you want to see an Impala.
https://insurify.com/insights/most-p...by-state-2019/

Old 01-26-2020, 08:34 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Zoom View Post
Yeah, I think that is (at most) what can be concluded.

Frugal types tend to buy inexpensive cars with reputation for reliability (Toyota, Honda, etc) and then hold onto them for a long time.
This is true - both ways.

1. More and more people are not into cars for status....as it used to be.
2. People who buy Honda and Toyota are likely to be even less so than an upscale car buyer.

But the cars themselves also do last longer with less work put into them.

The country has changed a bit....I somewhat like that so many Americans are frugal and value driven. It used to be that you tried to drive a fancy car and wear a nice suit to "dress for success" and impress.

Ever since Steve Jobs wore his jeans and turtleneck, it's the opposite. Those who need to dress up likely have something to sell you that you might not want to buy...

I remember when these changes happened at dealerships....when I walked in and the staff was laid-back and wearing loafers. Of course, that was a Saab dealer back then (first).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive