Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 03:29 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,635,928 times

Advertisements

I still go to dealer for oil changes. I bought my car while they offered free oil changes for the life of the car for the original owner. Other work was done under warranty. The tires, alignment, and rotation I go to a favorite Firestone shop because the manager is friendly and very honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 04:20 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,860 times
I've only gone to the dealer if it was under warranty or they had an incredible deal on something. Other than that, I will go to the dealer to buy OEM parts only. All my maintenance and repairs were either done by myself or an independent shop.

Old 01-30-2020, 05:46 PM

3,131 posts, read 2,254,432 times
The Honda dealership gets all of my business for my Pilot. The VW gets taken to a local import shop because of the high prices at the VW dealership.

Old 02-07-2020, 06:22 PM

86 posts, read 80,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
I've only gone to the dealer if it was under warranty or they had an incredible deal on something. Other than that, I will go to the dealer to buy OEM parts only. All my maintenance and repairs were either done by myself or an independent shop.
great idea! That is what I will probably stick to. thanks!

Old 02-07-2020, 08:00 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,414,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post

I'm the same with my new Civic. Under warranty, its the best idea.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:24 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,184,586 times
I only go to the dealer for recall or warranty work.

Don't even take my car to the dealer for the free oil changes.

Old 02-08-2020, 04:10 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,981,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
With a new car under warranty, I head to the dealer. When the warranty is done, I go elsewhere. However, for transmission issues I will only go to the dealer. I don't trust other shops for that. I agree with an earlier post that independent shops often charge the same rates as a dealer for many issues.
I used to think this way but.

Years ago.

Had the automatic transmission fluid changed at local new car dealership. Few days/weeks later and the automatic transmission quit. Dead. Maybe a coincidence. But that car was in excellent condition.

Different vehicle different time. Had an oil change at the new car dealership. When done they drive car up front. Went to pay and handed keys by cashier. Went to car and the car was running with no keys in the ignition. The "mechanic" had just yanked the keys out and broke the ignition switch.

I now go to a local mechanic/shop where the owner knows me by my first name. And I can walk around and view the underneath of vehicle. Mechanic knows my vehicle and I know my vehicle.

Old 02-12-2020, 01:31 PM

8,313 posts, read 3,922,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam-Man View Post
Just wondering how many people go to the dealer for any type of service with so many options these days and by doing a google search you can find many auto shops or oil change places nearby with reviews.

So what is the advantage of going to the dealer in 2020? Maybe I am wrong as many of my friends call me crazy for going to a local mom and pop shop instead of the dealership.
That is determined by the nature of the service.

For major engine and transmission work, and any controls or electrical issues on my late model Honda and Acura - I take it to the dealer.

For routine oil changes and fluid changes, take it to my local mechanic. Usually do brake work myself.

Old 02-12-2020, 08:36 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,989 times
I was able to find an independent repair facility that I think is fantastic. I have been using them for nearly 6 years on a car that is 10+ years old for all of my repairs. Prior to that, I used dealers for service.

Finding a good independent repair shop is more difficult.

Old 02-13-2020, 07:35 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,901,219 times
Surprising to see the generally positive comments regarding dealerships. Reality: Those great independent shops that are often referenced at this site are not that plentiful - - and significant savings can be elusive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive