Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2020, 09:28 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
Has 300,000 miles become the new normal for cars.

How are more and more these little 4 cylinder engines able to do it with little more then prescribed maintenance?

Here is a link to the top 25 cars capable of achieving 300,000 miles.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/money-car...00-miles.html/
I think it's more like 200,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2020, 11:01 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
And I guess there’s really no limit to how many miles you can get out of a car as long as you keep replacing parts and spending money to rebuild the engine or tranny.

When is it most cost effective to just replace the vehicle ❓
Pretty much never.

Old 02-02-2020, 11:04 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Hardly anyone rebuilds engines anymore, no matter the make. Most mechanics don't want to spend the time on it, so they just swap it for a used one with a warranty.
Engine rebuilding is a specialty shop operation. If that's all they do, they can do it cheaper than a full service shop. If you have engine problems, just buy a rebuilt or short block and install it.

Old 02-02-2020, 11:19 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,255,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
Here is the V8 search of the cars sold nation wide on ebay results with link.
Less Cars but it reflects over all numbers compared to the 6 or 4 cylinder engines.
32 U.S. cars
25 European cars
7 Asian Cars.
Note the 1941 Cadillac this search takes in 79 years.
5 cars over 300,000 Here is the Link to the sales to v8 sedans sold on ebay with over 200,000 miles.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...p2045573.m1684
Cars aren't the ones with V8's.

171 Chevrolets
43 Dodges
137 Fords

Those are going to be trucks and full sized SUVs.
This whole thread is designed to favor vehicles that can't make it when the going gets tough.
In the figures I provided, Chevy and Ford trucks are dominant, not Japanese buzz-bombs.
Even "POS" Dodge beats out "Lasts Forever" Honda.

It's no coincidence that domestic trucks have been the best sellers forever.
They're the real champions if you want something that keeps on truckin'.

Old 02-02-2020, 12:07 PM

15,433 posts, read 7,491,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
And more new engines for random makes/modelsl are added each year by motorreviewer.com. Always full of big surprises and top-secret infos. They're predicting that Toyota is getting worse, not better.

(For 2018+ Camry and 2019+ RAV4): https://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=127

I searched through several pages of Toyota engines, and the #1 biggest issue with Toyota is that their 4-cylinder engine block design does NOT allow you for any easy rebuild at all, unlike most other car brands.

"Toyota doesn't give any chance to rebuild the cylinder block, but it is pretty reliable and long about 200k miles easy."

"The cylinder block is not rebuildable. If it is damaged, you have to replace it with new or used in good condition."

You must throw out your old Toyota into junkyard if engine first goes extinct, if that's what motorreviewer.com is describing by words clearly. Unlike Mazda that can be rebuilt, that's why Toyota sedan engines are only rated up to 200,000 miles lifespan, instead of 300,000 miles lifespan rated for 2020 Ford Fusion S. So, more Toyota vehicles after 20 years old will be sent to junkyard earlier because the engine cannot be rebuild.
Motorreviewer.com claims that the steel/iron liners Toyota puts into their aluminum blocks aren't thick enough to be rebored in a rebuild, hence the statement that they aren't rebuildable. Not sure I agree with that, since reboring is a case by case sort of thing. There's nothing inherently wrong with aluminum blocks, but they do have issues that don't exist with cast iron blocks.

Old 02-02-2020, 12:52 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
I noticed the Subaru Outback was #2 on that list. I replaced the tranny on my 2000 Outback at 229K miles. It's at 253K now and still going strong....I think it will make it to 300

Old 02-02-2020, 05:17 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,323,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
4 cylinders is actually in one sense more robust than 6 or 8, because that's only 4 cylinders that can fail!
Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
And I guess there’s really no limit to how many miles you can get out of a car as long as you keep replacing parts and spending money to rebuild the engine or tranny.

When is it most cost effective to just replace the vehicle ❓

Not sure but it partly depends on the reliability and longevity (not exactly the same thing) of a vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
...In the figures I provided, Chevy and Ford trucks are dominant, not Japanese buzz-bombs.
Even "POS" Dodge beats out "Lasts Forever" Honda.

It's no coincidence that domestic trucks have been the best sellers forever.
They're the real champions if you want something that keeps on truckin'.
I read about one fellow's domestic pickup that has 600K miles on it. He had a number of things repaired but I don't think the engine was rebuilt. I need to see if I can find that correspondence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Motorreviewer.com claims that the steel/iron liners Toyota puts into their aluminum blocks aren't thick enough to be rebored in a rebuild, hence the statement that they aren't rebuildable...
Now I'm wondering if an engine rebuilder/engine machinist can take out the liners and put new ones in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I noticed the Subaru Outback was #2 on that list. I replaced the tranny on my 2000 Outback at 229K miles. It's at 253K now and still going strong....I think it will make it to 300
Subaru was always good, IIRC.

Old 02-02-2020, 05:21 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,741,154 times
I thought Subaru had head gasket issues, but everything else was pretty good.

Old 02-03-2020, 02:35 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,946,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Motorreviewer.com claims that the steel/iron liners Toyota puts into their aluminum blocks aren't thick enough to be rebored in a rebuild, hence the statement that they aren't rebuildable. Not sure I agree with that, since reboring is a case by case sort of thing. There's nothing inherently wrong with aluminum blocks, but they do have issues that don't exist with cast iron blocks.
Since around 2002 with redesigned Toyota Camry, the AZ 4-cylinder engine series was redesigned completely, but have been written as non-rebuildable. Before that, they were cast-iron blocks and were rebuildable. Toyota is concerned with improving MPG numbers, so they're forced to build new engines more-lighter-weight without sacrificing reliability. Durability has indeed dropped, and now the older Mazda L 4-cylinder engines are doing better than Toyota on durability and easier to rebuild.

Toyota AZ: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_AZ_engine

Mazda L: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_L_engine

Unlike Toyota that redesigns completely from scratch, Mazda L and (later) Skyactiv are evolved from original 1980s F cast-iron engine block. So, Mazda succeeds on long-term durability rather than short-term reliability.

Old 02-03-2020, 08:21 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I thought Subaru had head gasket issues, but everything else was pretty good.
I would agree with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive