Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2020, 05:50 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,981,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
Has 300,000 miles become the new normal for cars.

How are more and more these little 4 cylinder engines able to do it with little more then prescribed maintenance?

Here is a link to the top 25 cars capable of achieving 300,000 miles.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/money-car...00-miles.html/
Eric Schaal is a journalist. NOT a car person.

But apparently - many like to opine on what cars last a long time.

All vehicles will last a long time if properly taken care of. Such as oil undercoating up North in salt country.

And yes, some engines and some transmissions are poorly designed and do fail prematurely.

But how many Joe and Janes do any research into engines and transmission before purchasing a new or used car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 06:11 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,658 times
It's not the cars that won't last 300,000 miles.

It's the owners' egos that don't last 300,000 miles.

And when cars start causing troubles, people don't want to spend $110 per hour for a base labor rate at a dealership. They want a trouble free driving experience and no worries that they're going to make it back home.

Old 04-30-2020, 06:22 AM

1,069 posts, read 784,774 times
Default All vehicles will last a long time if properly taken care of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Eric Schaal is a journalist. NOT a car person.

But apparently - many like to opine on what cars last a long time.

All vehicles will last a long time if properly taken care of. Such as oil undercoating up North in salt country.

And yes, some engines and some transmissions are poorly designed and do fail prematurely.

But how many Joe and Janes do any research into engines and transmission before purchasing a new or used car?

"All vehicles will last a long time if properly taken care of". Thanks for your response. I would like to add reading the owners manual and following manufacturers maintenance guidelines is an important starting point.

Old 04-30-2020, 01:27 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post

And when cars start causing troubles, people don't want to spend $110 per hour for a base labor rate at a dealership. They want a trouble free driving experience and no worries that they're going to make it back home.
There is no law stating you gotta go to a dealer. Plenty of good independent mechanics out there. And there is always DIY. And doing a occasional repair is cheaper than buying a new car. For the most part you can get a AAA tow for a cheap membership of about 80 a year. Most repairs will NEVER amount to the money you spend on buying a new car. And a lot of people conveniently interchange maintenance or wear items with repairs.
Having to do brakes tires and shocks after driving 100,000 miles doesn’t mean your car needs to be replaced.

For my use I would be out of warranty on a new car for the bumper to bumper in the first year as I again went back to driving a minimum of 35,000 a year. So in one year I can kiss a bumper to bumper good bye and a basic powertrain within 2.5 years. For that money I can buy PLENTY of good running cars cash drive the crap out of them for two years literally bpdoingdoing nothing more than basic maintenance and when they blow up dump it buy another. And I’ll still be money ahead considering that there are p,entry of low ,ole well maintained cars to be had relatively cheap. You just gotta be ready to jump on it when the deal comes across your nose.
A new car for me would be financially stupid with the miles I drive

Old 04-30-2020, 09:15 PM

8,335 posts, read 6,419,063 times
I have free towing with my insurance co. and I have old cars. I have had two absolute nightmare experiences with breakdowns and tow companies. I'm getting to old, I don't want anymore.

You can count on it happening at night and a cold rainy night is even better. The very best tow experience is still you can't go where you wanted and do what you wanted. The very best tow experience is still a 45 minute wait for them to show up.

Old 04-30-2020, 09:37 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,943,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
Not less reliable to me. Still closing in on 300,000 miles.. I had to disagree with the your statement (cast-iron engine block (2.0L I4 Beta), more-reliable than 2005 Toyota Corolla by shocking comparison.) I still have the 2004 corolla at 245,000 miles and it has no signs of old age. Maybe it is the way I drive, conservatively with 3,000 mile oil changes. Anyway same drive train same transmission, same clutch in my corolla.
Cast-iron is always superior than aluminum, regardless if it has a Toyota name or not. Law and physics.... You cannot change our science book.

Toyota is only all about marketing, not actual technicals. They have excellent reliability for short-term, but not so great reliability for very long-term, 24/7 commercial-use drivers, and with over 500,000 miles, due to aluminum material self-destructing from aging and melting from heat.

All vehicles can last for up to 1 million mile max, doesn't matter what make. 245,000 miles is nothing, actually. If you bought a 2004 Hyundai Elantra instead of Toyota Corolla, you will still get the same 245,000 miles trouble-free. Next...

Humans don't always have the time to test and drive every car makers in the world to see for themselves. That's why you are writing this response.

Last edited by waltchan; 04-30-2020 at 09:47 PM..

Old 05-03-2020, 10:43 AM

21,836 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post

That and it's not worth it. The little stuff if you're paying a shop usually makes them barely worth it before something major like the engine or transmission goes. Then you're looking at 2-5k on a car that's not worth more than that. It's not like dropping a new engine will suddenly make all the other small things suddenly stop breaking intermittently.

If you're doing your own wrenching it's more doable. I've put in a rebuilt transmission, couple new clutches, and other ancillary stuff but when it came time for a rebuilt motor I just never got around to it. Shops all wanted around $1,200 for an R&R, rebuilt motor was about $2,500 or a junkyard special for $1,000. I kept it on the backburner as a potential project but it wasn't something I was that interested in doing. The car just wasn't reliable enough to do daily driver duty anymore. Picked up a used Accord from a family member for what the rebuild would have cost and got a good five years out of it with very few issues. That met untimely death by teenagers. That was replaced by a Mazda3 for 7 1/2 years and it was just getting up there. Other than an AC compressor it was reliable but it was getting up there. At shop rates motor mounts ($150), fuel pump ($1,400), suspension work ($400) was probably worth fixing. Sold it to someone who had more interest in turning a wrench than I did. Good car for someone who does want to do the wrenching, probably had another 100-150k in it but cars that age/mileage just do start having smaller things need replacement and they add up at shop rates. Labors what kills it although parts for the Mazda3 were surprisingly expensive themselves.

Last edited by Malloric; 05-03-2020 at 10:53 AM..

Old 06-22-2020, 05:00 AM

1,069 posts, read 784,774 times
Default Took a 200 mile drive yesterday after changing the in-tank fuel filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
That and it's not worth it. The little stuff if you're paying a shop usually makes them barely worth it before something major like the engine or transmission goes. Then you're looking at 2-5k on a car that's not worth more than that. It's not like dropping a new engine will suddenly make all the other small things suddenly stop breaking intermittently.

If you're doing your own wrenching it's more doable. I've put in a rebuilt transmission, couple new clutches, and other ancillary stuff but when it came time for a rebuilt motor I just never got around to it. Shops all wanted around $1,200 for an R&R, rebuilt motor was about $2,500 or a junkyard special for $1,000. I kept it on the backburner as a potential project but it wasn't something I was that interested in doing. The car just wasn't reliable enough to do daily driver duty anymore. Picked up a used Accord from a family member for what the rebuild would have cost and got a good five years out of it with very few issues. That met untimely death by teenagers. That was replaced by a Mazda3 for 7 1/2 years and it was just getting up there. Other than an AC compressor it was reliable but it was getting up there. At shop rates motor mounts ($150), fuel pump ($1,400), suspension work ($400) was probably worth fixing. Sold it to someone who had more interest in turning a wrench than I did. Good car for someone who does want to do the wrenching, probably had another 100-150k in it but cars that age/mileage just do start having smaller things need replacement and they add up at shop rates. Labors what kills it although parts for the Mazda3 were surprisingly expensive themselves.

Interesting Quote on the fuel pump. $1400 how about $10 for a fuel filter. Just changed in tank fuel filter on my car yesterday. I posted some close-up pictures of the old dirty fuel filter (in a another tread I have up about two video's on fuel pump removal tank drop vs trunk or back seat access.) If I was doing a checklist for a 300,000 mile car a fuel filter change would be on it.

Took a 200 mile test drive yesterday after my fuel filter change. The car has a lot more pep. Here is the link to the dirty fuel filter pictures I took and posted that came out of my car. The pictures are on page 2 of this thread about fuel filters in the link below.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/auto...ideos-one.html

Hope to pass 250,000 miles before the summer is over so far so good.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:31 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,588,276 times
Almost any car could probably run 1/2 million or more miles if all it did was go down the highway at 65 mph all day like a big truck does. But in reality almost nobody drives a car that many miles per year because there is rarely a reason to do so. The rest of the car is junk long before the motor is from abuse and neglect. Cars are throwaway objects to most people that don't need to last forever. But theoretically they could if properly cared for.

Old 06-22-2020, 09:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,691 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Almost any car could probably run 1/2 million or more miles if all it did was go down the highway at 65 mph all day like a big truck does. But in reality almost nobody drives a car that many miles per year because there is rarely a reason to do so. The rest of the car is junk long before the motor is from abuse and neglect. Cars are throwaway objects to most people that don't need to last forever. But theoretically they could if properly cared for.
No the plastic components... they will age out (UV and heat)

You want a car to LAST? Buy something pre -1950's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive