Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 02:16 PM

17,720 posts, read 13,437,220 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT03...&feature=share

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8UN...&feature=share

Turbos charged cars don’t save you gas.

Funny AND informative!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2020, 02:22 PM

8,350 posts, read 4,598,388 times
The small displacement turbos can save fuel. But you have to be on your game and drive them to do it. Most people don’t. Those engines are designed to game the system, they perform well on fuel economy testing but fail to give big savings in the hands of an average driver.

Old 01-31-2020, 02:36 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,659,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
The small displacement turbos can save fuel. But you have to be on your game and drive them to do it. Most people don’t. Those engines are designed to game the system, they perform well on fuel economy testing but fail to give big savings in the hands of an average driver.

very true, and bigger brakes DO stop shorter than smaller ones do, sometimes as much as 20% shorter. example replace the stock 11" brakes on a fox body mustang with 13" brakes from a fox-4 cobra, just the fronts, and the car does stop shorter.

Old 01-31-2020, 04:18 PM

1,002 posts, read 902,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
very true, and bigger brakes DO stop shorter than smaller ones do, sometimes as much as 20% shorter. example replace the stock 11" brakes on a fox body mustang with 13" brakes from a fox-4 cobra, just the fronts, and the car does stop shorter.
On my Honda, with the stock brakes, I can set off the ABS immediately at 70 and ride it all the way to a stop. Admittedly it is 10 years newer than the newest Fox bodies, but if I can lock up the wheels already, I can't see how heavier brakes with more rotating mass could stop the car more quickly.

Now, whether I could do that repeatedly, say 30-40 times in a row, probably not. I could see bigger brakes working better on a track.

Old 01-31-2020, 04:34 PM

18,827 posts, read 27,268,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
On my Honda, with the stock brakes, I can set off the ABS immediately at 70 and ride it all the way to a stop. Admittedly it is 10 years newer than the newest Fox bodies, but if I can lock up the wheels already, I can't see how heavier brakes with more rotating mass could stop the car more quickly.

Now, whether I could do that repeatedly, say 30-40 times in a row, probably not. I could see bigger brakes working better on a track.

If your wheels lock, your ABS is not working.
period.

Old 02-02-2020, 12:21 AM

6,424 posts, read 9,738,866 times
Quote:

You have to remember that bigger brakes have more friction surface and therefore have more stopping power. The rotors on my X5M are bigger than some older rims lol The pads that fit them are huge as well.

Old 02-02-2020, 03:02 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,958,842 times
Big rotors resist fade more and make frequent abrupt slowing (track use, mountain passes, etc) more consistent.

Smaller displacement engines with turbos do get better mpg under typical driving than larger engines without turbos that make similar power at full boogie.

Old 02-03-2020, 07:37 AM

15,708 posts, read 20,239,147 times
Quote:

That just means your tires are terrible and losing grip. Ability to lock wheels is not a valid indicator of braking performance. It just means you could use a tire upgrade.

Big brakes need to work in conjunction with GOOD tires. They go hand in hand. If you stick a 14" 6-piston Brembo setup on a car with 215 width bargain basement allseasons, that tire is going to lose grip VERY easily as your 4000lb car want's to keep going forward while the brake system has the power to stop the wheel from spinning at 80MPH.

Now, stick some different wheels with sticky 275 width rubber up front, you've just increased your grip. Now the brake has to fight the traction of the tire grabbing the road vs the momentum of the vehicle trying to drive it forward.

I've said this before, and i'll say it again. Most important performance part on your vehicle is the tires. It's the only part of the car that touches the road and takes your inputs and translates them into response. DO not cheap out here. All the best stability, ABS, traction control, brakes, etc is useless if you are buying $40/ea Walmart special tires. It's also compounded when people shop for the longest lasting tire they can find. The rubber is usually hard as a rock and then people take it even further by OVERinflating them to increase their fuel economy.

Old 02-03-2020, 07:11 PM

17,720 posts, read 13,437,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Big rotors resist fade more and make frequent abrupt slowing (track use, mountain passes, etc) more consistent.

Smaller displacement engines with turbos do get better mpg under typical driving than larger engines without turbos that make similar power at full boogie.
You must stay on your brakes a lot then we live in the mountains and we don’t go though brake pads and there is nothing special about our two cars. Of course we understand that if you use your transmission and drop to a lower gear you, you need to ride your brakes.

Again living in the mountains a bigger displacement engine has more torque then the majority of most turbocharged four Cylinders do.

Old 02-04-2020, 01:40 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,683,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
Yep, I have Wilwood discs on a couple of my cars, and they will put you through the windshield. The cars stop like right now.

Not sure what the guy in the video is talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive