Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: DO YOU HATE TRAFFIC
YES 102 77.86%
NO 29 22.14%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 05:59 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,532,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
THIS THREAD WILL BE DEVOTED TO EVERYONE WHO HATES TRAFFIC AND HAS A STORY TO TELL ABOUT BEING STUCK IN TRAFFIC!...DO YOU HAVE A STORY THAT TOPS THAT? THEN SHARE IF YOU PLEASE!

thanks
- A couple of Christmas seasons ago, I was returning to OH from my delivery in Indy. Traffic was stop-and-go due to slick roads and a couple of accidents. During the pauses, I started talking with the family in the minivan when they stopped next to my truck. I was able to keep them informed about what was going on up ahead. Just before the traffic finally started moving, they gave me some homemeade cookies. I saw from the back of their van that they were an Army family headed home to Michigan for the holidays...

- When upwards of a foot of snow was dumped on the Dayton area two years ago, I decided that it would be pointless to try to go to work since both I-70 and I-75 were backed up for miles due to wrecks. One of my friends was able to get to work and left the yard with a load headed to Illinois. He got as far as the I-70/75 junction (6 miles) and then sat for the next 18 hours. Fortunately, he'd packed a good lunch and had plenty of fuel...

- There's nothing better than getting stuck in traffic in Austin, Texas and the car next to your truck contains a good-looking cowgirl with a long neck between her legs! (True story)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 11:25 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
I see, I was just curious. Most of my family doesn't live on a train line so that wouldn't really work for me ... As for the car sharing thing - that sounds a lot cheaper than a regular car rental. Could be wrong - but it's good they do that for people like you without a car.
There are a couple different companies that have these cars serving various neighborhoods here in the Twin Cities. When they put one in our St Paul neighborhood, we plan to ditch our second car.

It'll save us a lot of money, and the cars are newer and more efficient than the ones we own (they are Priuses).

Old 04-28-2008, 12:47 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,703 times
Personally, I sorely miss those sweltering summer days sitting behind an exhaust-belching truck on the BQE in my old '91 Volvo with leather seats and busted air conditioning...

Seriously, what kind of question is this? Who likes traffic? You can learn to live with it, sure, but like it....that's just crazy talk.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:14 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
One day I was stuck on I-285 in Atlanta (our beltway around the city) and it was averaging about one hour to go 10 miles. I was in a Ford F150 with a sunroof at the time - nice little trucks, but they don't sit very high.

I had to pee. I really had to pee. I looked around me to make sure there weren't any suburban SUV soccer moms with kids nearby who would accuse me of trying to molest them, and, I let Mr. Winkie out just long enough to pee in a McDonalds iced tea cup I had. Just as I was finishing, a semi truck driver drives slowly past me, looking down (as they seem to all do), and sees Mr. Winkie. I had a deer-in-the-headlights look, and zipped up quickly.

A minute later, I see a sheet of paper pressed against his truck - with his phone number on it. Kill me now.

http://bestsmileys.com/flasher/1.gif (broken link)

Old 04-28-2008, 01:17 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,472,099 times
Now that was the best story on this thread so far

Old 04-29-2008, 07:19 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
I get paid on by the mile and I-75 in SW Ohio is pretty much one big construction zone from Dayton to Cincinnati, so, yeah, I LOVE sitting in a construction backup or behind a crash for free... HOWEVER, I was headed to work at 10 p.m. one evening and stopped in a backup at the I-70/I-75 construction zone. A long white limo is a car length ahead of me in the right lane. Carrying what is obviously a bachelorette party. So one of the passengers ( a NICELY-endowed young woman) opens the sun roof and blinds us all with her "headlights". Sure made the rest of the night at the wheel much more enjoyable!)
Does that mean you answered NO on the poll?

Old 04-29-2008, 07:36 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,672,964 times
For the guy who likes to take his T tops off and enjoy the sun. Beware of livestock haulers. I was sitting in traffic in Chicago with my convertible top down when a truck load of cattle pulled up on my left. One of the cows decided he needed to relieve himself. You have probably seen it raining like a cow peeing on a flat rock. A flat floor is no different and you can't get the top up fast enough.

Ever been in traffic and offered a ride to someone walking only to have him answer, "No thanks I'm in a hurry."

Old 04-29-2008, 07:43 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,672,964 times
I forgot to add, I like traffic. It gives me time to watch people. If you pay attention you can tell what kind of music they like. Their political views by facial expressions if they have talk radio on. And most importantly, if anyone has gas. Windows down in -10 deg temp?

Old 04-29-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Does that mean you answered NO on the poll?
Maybe there should be a third poll category; "Not when the scenery is good"...

Old 04-29-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
For the guy who likes to take his T tops off and enjoy the sun. Beware of livestock haulers. I was sitting in traffic in Chicago with my convertible top down when a truck load of cattle pulled up on my left. One of the cows decided he needed to relieve himself. You have probably seen it raining like a cow peeing on a flat rock. A flat floor is no different and you can't get the top up fast enough.

Ever been in traffic and offered a ride to someone walking only to have him answer, "No thanks I'm in a hurry."
"Rodney? Rodney Dangerfield, is that you reincarnated???"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive