Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 10:28 AM

9,504 posts, read 4,340,821 times

Advertisements

When my local Ford dealer and I couldn't come to an agreement on the trade-in value of my 1987 Accord (this was in 1989), they offered to let me try to sell it myself and would honor their trade-in offer for 30 days. I was unable to sell the car for as much as they were offering and they honored the agreement, which I thought was pretty cool.

Unfortunately, I've had issues at the same dealer. Went there to inquire about the recently introduced 1984 LTD LX. For those of you who aren't familiar with obscure care history, the LTD at the time shared its platform with the Mustang. The LTD LX was a 4-door sedan with the 5.0 liter Mustang GT powertrain and suspension. The salesman said I was imagining it and that no such car existed. After 15 minutes of getting nowhere, I asked for the manager, who had also never heard of it, but looked it up. Sure enough, there it was in the giant book they had detailing the features of all of the vehicles they offered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2020, 03:33 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,662,296 times
My last new car purchase was near the end of 2016 from a Mercedes dealer in Fairfield CA. I search the local dealers and then nationwide for the car that had the color and all the options I wanted. I made the deal with the salesman via phone. My wife and I flew into SFO and a driver was waiting for us with a new MB. The drive was almost 1.5 hours long to the dealership. The salesman a German fellow introduced himself, we had coffee and showed us the car in the showroom. This was to be my wife's car to replace her old 1999 E430. We signed the paperwork, it was easy since I paid for the car in full. During our phone conversation with the salesman, I told him that we would be taking a small vacation in the wine country. He made sure all the paperwork would be ready since I did not pay CA taxes but would pay Texas taxes. He had maps, with places, hotels, and restaurants that we may want to visit during our stay.

To this day my wife has not driven this car she is scared of it. After the break-in period, I showed her how she could use the launch position, place the control into race and follow the instruction with the column shifters. All 500+ hp came alive, it was loud and fast and a little scary the first time. She said it’s a race car and she would never drive it.

Old 02-09-2020, 05:00 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
My last new car purchase was near the end of 2016 from a Mercedes dealer in Fairfield CA. I search the local dealers and then nationwide for the car that had the color and all the options I wanted. I made the deal with the salesman via phone. My wife and I flew into SFO and a driver was waiting for us with a new MB. The drive was almost 1.5 hours long to the dealership. The salesman a German fellow introduced himself, we had coffee and showed us the car in the showroom. This was to be my wife's car to replace her old 1999 E430. We signed the paperwork, it was easy since I paid for the car in full. During our phone conversation with the salesman, I told him that we would be taking a small vacation in the wine country. He made sure all the paperwork would be ready since I did not pay CA taxes but would pay Texas taxes. He had maps, with places, hotels, and restaurants that we may want to visit during our stay.

To this day my wife has not driven this car she is scared of it. After the break-in period, I showed her how she could use the launch position, place the control into race and follow the instruction with the column shifters. All 500+ hp came alive, it was loud and fast and a little scary the first time. She said it’s a race car and she would never drive it.
She does know how to control the go pedal.... right?

Old 02-09-2020, 06:03 PM

423 posts, read 610,028 times
I got 2 bad stories on car dealers. Both are before internet pricing.

1. Nissan dealer in Los Angeles. I live in Northern California. I bought couple cars in LA area because the deals cannot be beat here in Bay Area. New 1996 Nissan Altima was advertised for $12,000 on newspaper. It was one at that price. I went in, the car was still there. After everything checked out, dealer then claimed they cannot sell for $12,000 for some BS reasons. I was there for 2-3 hours going back and forth between different "managers" and they finally sold it to me at that price (+ tax/license).

2. Honda of Serramonte near San Francisco, California. After negotiating the price on new 2000 Honda Civic, it was time to write up the contract. The dealer used a higher price on the contract, around $1000 more. I suspect they tried to sneak it in there. I checked and caught the discrepancy. Dealer said it was "honest" accounting error. They corrected it.

These car salesman try to get away with anything they can. You have to check everything.

Actually, since then, I have had very easy time buying cars with internet pricing information. I'm price conscious. I think I always negotiate good deals.

Old 02-09-2020, 06:55 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,903,282 times
I have been a car nut all my life, mostly Fords. One day, back in the late 1980s, my then wife and I happened to pass a used car dealer and I spotted a 1979 Ranchero GT on the lot. Turned around and went to check it out. It was beautiful. The price was $3500. A little steep. I had other cars and could take it or leave it. After checking it out and test driving it for about a half hour, I offered $2800. The dealer said no and came down a couple of hundred. I declined and stuck with my offer of $2800 and left the building. We got in the car and were just about to drive off when the dealer ran up to the car and came down another couple of hundred. I think to $3100. I said no, $2800, take it leave it. He didn't take it and we left. I was exiting the driveway, half way out into traffic when he ran up to my window and agreed to take the $2800. I wrote him a check and drove the car home.

Since then I have had several occasions where dealers have followed me out to the parking lot to take a last shot at selling me a car.

Old 02-09-2020, 07:00 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,788,532 times
Pre internet I had my VW for sale in the newspaper.

A woman from the local Nissan dealership calls and says they buy used cars outright. I think this is a ploy to get me in the door and then pressure to trade for a Nissan.

I go in, see the designated sales guy, he and the manager take it for a drive. We go back and forth on price a little then come to an agreement. They cut a check and I call my wife to come get me.

After the deal is closed I tell the sales guy I was really expecting an offer to trade for a Nissan. He replied he could tell I only wanted to sell the car so that is what we did.

Old 02-09-2020, 07:39 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times
And a funny story.... maybe you heard this on.

Seller has car for sale $2000. Buyer calls and say will you take $800? a pause and then seller says sure. Buyer, Great where and when can I see the car? Be at such and such address at 1100am.

Buyer shows up and says to the seller ... er, um I'm at at the mental Hospital? is that right?... seller says yes, you must be crazy if you think I'd sell the car for $800.

Old 02-10-2020, 02:03 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,662,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
She does know how to control the go pedal.... right?
Sure she knows, but at 75 she thinks she needs a granny mobile.

Old 02-10-2020, 04:22 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,317,614 times
It was in 1983. I was shopping for a new Ford Bronco. I asked the salesman, "in compound low range, what is the transfer ratio of the transfer case?"

He said, "What do you do for a living?" I responded, "I'm an engineer." "I thought so" he said. "I've never sold a car to an engineer."

So he handed me the 3 ring binder of information. The answer was 2:1.

I ordered the truck from him on the spot.

It is very rare to find a car salesman who listens instead of talks.

Old 02-10-2020, 07:36 AM

752 posts, read 460,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

Great guy and we thoroughly beat a new Z28 6 spd for almost an hour on a "test drive"
You aren't supposed to run a new car hard for at least the first 500 miles let alone beat them for an hour. I would argue that decent people don't beat any car that isn't theirs. So you potentially damaged a brand new car that some other person will buy having no idea...wow, you guys are so great!!! Awesome story!!! Tell me about the wedding again!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive