Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 08:00 AM

12,411 posts, read 9,510,794 times

Advertisements

Teslas get all the press, but here is a detailed review of the Chevy Bolt, from an owner who spent 3 years with a 2017 and has now bought a 2020 model. He reports range being fine for his use, and operating costs including maintenance to be super-low. It's pretty darned positive, and one of the intriguing things about the Bolt these days is that they are being sold with deep discounting at dealers, I have read they're going for about $8K below list price.

"Comparing EVs to ICE vehicles is like comparing VCRs with all the belts, gears, spinning head, and tangled tapes to MP3 players with solid-state electronics. It’s no contest. "

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/02/08...he-game-again/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2020, 08:15 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,798,455 times
Bought a 2019 Premier last year. Wonderful little car. Fun to drive. We use it mostly for a Cape Cod runabout, but took a +500 mile round trip in the Fall (leaf-peeping to Western MA).

Wife "filling her up" in Provincetown.

Returning home from a road trip to Western MA.

Car at home. The little gray box is for charging it up, a 240v/50amp outlet.

Rich

Old 02-09-2020, 08:30 AM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
I watched excellent review of Volt II yesterday. Yes, Volt. Apparently, it is basically like an EV in day to day driving, as it does about 80km on single charge. Charges in 5 hrs from 220. And you can drive it in Burkina Faso, if you want to, as it has ICE.

According to owner, he does not remember last time he fueled it, as it covers his daily driving in EV only fine.

Old 02-09-2020, 08:48 AM

12,411 posts, read 9,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCapeCod View Post
Bought a 2019 Premier last year. Wonderful little car. Fun to drive. We use it mostly for a Cape Cod runabout, but took a +500 mile round trip in the Fall (leaf-peeping to Western MA).

Wife "filling her up" in Provincetown.

Returning home from a road trip to Western MA.

Car at home. The little gray box is for charging it up, a 240v/50amp outlet.

Rich
Nice! On the home charging, I don't see it, but I assume you are using something like a JuiceBox or ChargePoint - charging station between A/C line power and the Bolt, yes? The car is not being plugged straight into a 240V "dryer outlet", is it?

Old 02-09-2020, 09:31 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,735,213 times
We really like our bolt. It's a bit of a sleeper in that it has the shape of a Honda Fit but does 0-60 is 6.5 seconds. Most of the maintenance is wiper blades, tire rotation and changing the brake fluid every 5 years. It is as quiet as a luxury car and offers one pedal driving in most driving conditions via regen braking.

My previous go-to was the VW GTI hot hatch but the bolt is more like a warm hatch with low running costs.

It is possible to get one in the low 20's if your state has an electric rebate and you take advantage of the costco $700 gift card offer.

Doug DeMuro's review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2ogGZXmepY

Last edited by verybadgnome; 02-09-2020 at 09:57 AM..

Old 02-09-2020, 09:41 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,322,210 times
Love our '20 Bolt. Going out on another road trip this afternoon.

200 hp and 260 lb ft of torque make it a lot of fun to squirt around in. With it in sport mode the throttle response is instant and while 0-60 is only 6 seconds or so, 0-40 is right now.

Old 02-09-2020, 11:28 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,798,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Nice! On the home charging, I don't see it, but I assume you are using something like a JuiceBox or ChargePoint - charging station between A/C line power and the Bolt, yes? The car is not being plugged straight into a 240V "dryer outlet", is it?
Howdy. I use one of two units, the OEM charger, and, an aftermarket charger I purchased some months after getting the Bolt. The charger/s are pluged in to a "dryer outlet" as you mentioned. They are designed to work that way.

Indentured servant (German nephew visiting for summer) digging ditch
for installation of 240v/14-50 NEMA outlet.

The outlet.

These wires permitted me to connect the factory charger to the 240v outlet.
(yes, it's perfectly safe to do so)

I store my charger "head" in this outdoor hose-holder/box. Works great for the purpose.

Spouse wondering why no electricity was coming out of the hose...
(Silly joke. Unit was not activated when I took this picture at our Town Hall lot)

Rich

Old 02-09-2020, 11:32 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times
I like the Bolt. It was the car that first got me interested in EVs after friend bought one. I test drive it and the Leaf before landing on the Model 3. The car wasn’t big enough for our use and the extra size in the Model 3 pushed it over the line for me. If we didn’t have two kids who we are always hauling around, it would have been perfect.

Old 02-09-2020, 11:37 AM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Oldest daughter has one. I guess it's been about a year now.

The only issue came at Christmas when a 6 hour, 300 mile trip turned into an overnight stay at a motel because every single charger on the route was out of order. Not one, not two, but all three and the availability had not been updated.

Old 02-09-2020, 11:43 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,252,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
It's pretty darned positive, and one of the intriguing things about the Bolt these days is that they are being sold with deep discounting at dealers, I have read they're going for about $8K below list price.
$10K off tags hanging on the rear view mirrors of the Bolts here.
That's before one goes in and starts dickerin'.

IMO, there's no way anyone should be paying over $30K for any Bolt, even a loaded one.
Less well equipped Bolts should be much less than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC