Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2020, 09:56 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,993 times

Advertisements

Still not as bad as them no longer testing your ability to shift gear properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2020, 04:24 AM

50,772 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
It does make the driving test pointless. Without the parallel parking the test is a complete joke. I can't imagine anyone including a teenager, not passing it. I got my learner's permit when I was 14, and my license three months later when I turned 15. I had probably about three or four hours of driving experience when I passed the test on the first try. The only practice I had was driving around an empty shopping center parking lot on Sunday mornings, under the supervision of my dad, who was probably one of the worst drivers who ever lived. I wasn't even close to being a competent driver until probably one or two years after I got my license.
That's why they get permits the year before.

Old 02-17-2020, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
Yes it is a nightmare to self-park in these areas. Just saying for the young first-time drivers getting a license in L.A. it will help a lot. Not everyone will want to pay to park, especially residents who live in duplex, triplexes and apartment bldgs.
Some have to circle the blocks endlessly to find a space. Basically any place in L.A. west of the 110 freeway parallel parking is an extremely important skill to have. Basically a necessity if you live there.

If there's an hourly lot nearby that's an option for visitors but know that your car will be squeezed in next to someone elses. It helps keep the door ding/dent business thriving. I know most people don't expect to see "parking lot full" but that happens a lot in L.A. More people driving in and out neighborhoods and higher rents have resulted in more roommates which makes residential areas even more dense than before.

I'll agree living outside of California and other dense cities that parallel parking requirement is not 100% necessary.
But those kids who.live in those areas are well aware they will.need to.parallel park, as are their psrents, and there is nothing stopping them from.lesrning. People are acting like they're out long learning how to parallel park.People who live in areas where parallel parking is common are going to still learn how to do it.

Old 02-17-2020, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
It's just a matter of practice. I have lousy spatial reasoning skills so I have to practice a lot. When I bought a car with a back up camera, I had to relearn how to parallel park, even though I still turn my head to look at what is behind me. I don't see how you can avoid not knowing how to do this. You never know where you are going to end up. Even in mid-sized cities and suburban areas, it's useful. It should be included in the road test. Even in Montana, in some places you need to parallel park.
I'm sure you also need to know how to drive in the snow in Montana. So is that tested for on the driver's test? Again many skills that are required for driving are not on the test but people learn them anyway. No one is stopping anyone from learning to parallel park.

Old 02-17-2020, 07:00 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Women and lack of spatial skills is an excuse. I taught my three girls to do it. Yes they lacked the spatial skills, but we just kept at it until they figured it out. It actually didn't take that long for them to figure it out. The state removed the requirement, because so many failed it, just before my third daughter's turn. We learned it anyway. All three appreciate it because they use those skills all of the time now. We can't afford them learning the hard way with our expensive (to us) car.

By the way, I taught two guys who also had spatial skills issues. It isn't just a female thing.

Old 02-17-2020, 07:02 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I'm sure you also need to know how to drive in the snow in Montana. So is that tested for on the driver's test? Again many skills that are required for driving are not on the test but people learn them anyway. No one is stopping anyone from learning to parallel park.
I think it should be on the test. Look at all the accidents every time a flake falls.

Old 02-17-2020, 07:17 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
That's why they get permits the year before.
The point being I could pass it after three months with almost no practice. I could have probably done it with zero practice. Granted it was in Wyoming, a state with an incredibly easy test, both written and driving, and no parallel parking requirement. The state driver's manual at the time was a small 60 page, 4" x 5" booklet. Which is the type of test you are advocating.

Old 02-17-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I think it should be on the test. Look at all the accidents every time a flake falls.
Having it be on the test is not gonna change anything. There are lot of things people passed on the test that they don't use in thier everyday driving. I remember a lot of the manual test come of the questions and answers, but many people do not. Many people still come to a stop at the end of a merge, many people still wait until they come to a stop before they put their turn signal on. New Jersey has a law that if your windshield wipers on your headlights have to be, but a lot of people who answer that question correctly on the test still don't do it when they're out driving. New Jersey has a law that the left lane is for passing only. Everyone who got that question correct in the test still doesn't practice it. Just because something is on the test doesn't mean people are going to be skilled drivers. This notion that having a skill on the test and that they passed the test means you can drive, or park well, is baseless. Again, I passed it on my test but I'm a horrible parallel parker.

Some people are good at driving in snow, and some people are not. None of them were tested for it including the ones who are good at it. Parallel parking is exactly the same. Some people are able to do it confidently and some are not. Has nothing to do with the test.

Old 02-17-2020, 07:20 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
As in most places, if it is snowing at the time you take the test, you are required to take it in the snow.

Old 02-17-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The point being I could pass it after three months with almost no practice. I could have probably done it with zero practice. Granted it was in Wyoming, a state with an incredibly easy test, both written and driving, and no parallel parking requirement. The state driver's manual at the time was a small 60 page, 4" x 5" booklet. Which is the type of test you are advocating.
I'm not advocating they get rid of the physical test where did I say that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive