Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 09:21 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
It's an important skill, not unlike ironing one's clothes. But, we don't require you to iron your clothes to graduate high school or college. Even if you have a job that requires a pressed uniform no one cares whether oyu pay a dry cleaner or do it yourself.
Someone not being able to iron their clothes does not affect anyone else. Not being able to parallel park does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 09:23 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
It's an important skill, not unlike ironing one's clothes. But, we don't require you to iron your clothes to graduate high school or college. Even if you have a job that requires a pressed uniform no one cares whether oyu pay a dry cleaner or do it yourself.

I don't iron my clothes; in that area, I am of the hiker mentality.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:04 AM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Someone not being able to iron their clothes does not affect anyone else. Not being able to parallel park does.
No. Not really.

People talk about these mythical traffic jams from people that can't parallel park. I've never seen it. And that includes several years living in a city neighborhood with very little off street parking.

Old 02-18-2020, 11:05 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,800 times
There are places where one never needs to parallel park. I drove in Los Angeles County for over 20 years and never once needed to parallel park. Since then I've lived in two other states and never needed to parallel park. (Sometimes it can get you a more convenient spot, but there's always another option.) I learned how, but it doesn't really matter, because I never do it.

Driving in snow, though - I do that pretty well.

Old 02-18-2020, 02:43 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Cooking a Souffle requires skill too. I still don't see how the ability to parallel park translates into a better driver. You may as well require them to back a boat trailer down the ramp. That's a skill too. My knowing how to quickly launch a boat doesn't make me a safer driver (except by not getting yelled at at the boat launch.
That is not a bad idea. Just look at YouTube for boat ramp fails.

Old 02-18-2020, 02:54 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The problem is that parallel parking is the only part of the test that requires any skill at all. I would be willing to bet, that if we took new drivers applying for a learners permit for the first time, and gave them a drive test right after passing the written test, 90% or 95% would pass the first time with zero driving experience. Without parallel parking, the test is just pointless, and will just put worse driver's on the road.
driving doesnt require skill. it is an incredibly simple task that anyone can do. the best way to get better at it is to drive more anyway.

i dont appreciate the age discrimination in driving either (or in anything else). the government doesnt have a right to arbitrarily set age requirements for everything we do.

Old 02-18-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I don't iron my clothes; in that area, I am of the hiker mentality.

LOL, me too. I have an iron, and I know how to use it, but I don't think I have actually used it in over 30 years. I don't know if it's a change in culture, or a change in me, but wrinkled clothing just doesn't bother me as much as it used to.

Old 02-18-2020, 03:07 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Quote:
No. Not really.

People talk about these mythical traffic jams from people that can't parallel park. I've never seen it. And that includes several years living in a city neighborhood with very little off street parking.
I see it all.the.time. Seriously drives me insane when I see someone holding up traffic because they are on their 6th attempt to get into a spot. Especially fun when they keep trying to go front-end first.

And it's not just holding up traffic. It's the issue of damaging cars you are trying to park between, which I've also seen.

Old 02-18-2020, 03:42 PM

50,705 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I see it all.the.time. Seriously drives me insane when I see someone holding up traffic because they are on their 6th attempt to get into a spot. Especially fun when they keep trying to go front-end first.

And it's not just holding up traffic. It's the issue of damaging cars you are trying to park between, which I've also seen.
Yet chances are that person lived in a state that has it on the test, and they passed it on the test. It’s a Sumption that simply passing it on the drivers test means you’re going to do it competently even if it’s years later, is just silly. And baseless.

Old 02-18-2020, 04:00 PM

When You Can't Parallel Park...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb5tu5misNg

You've been away for five years. I can't believe your parking skills haven't improved at all.

Please don't talk about things that happened five years ago.

Have you been crying?

If I say yes, will you give me back the parking space?

It's obvious that even if I gave it to you, you still wouldn't be able to park your car.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 02-18-2020 at 04:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive