Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 07:20 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times

Advertisements

Why is "Apple Engineer" relevant to the story headline? Can't it say "Man killed in Tesla accident" instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2020, 07:37 AM

5,956 posts, read 2,877,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
So I am guessing you have never used the system - it does make for a much more relaxing drive but no one said it was perfect. It is an advanced drivers aid and it is very good for that. This was 2 years ago also, the system has made a lot of improvements since then.
'Its better than 2 years ago' if it could be improved upon,it should not have been released to the public untill 100%..just wait untill a "unapproved upon " hits a school bus.
Its not just the drivers safety yhats important but the others on the road.
Has there.been a recall to FIX the 2yo. system to bring it up to todays standards..I bet not.

Old 02-14-2020, 07:47 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,323,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
Has there.been a recall to FIX the 2yo. system to bring it up to todays standards..I bet not.

yes, the OTA updates have improved the 2 year old system in older model Teslas.

How many people died when cruise control was introduced and they fell asleep while using it, or stopped paying attention? Do we still use cruise control anyway?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a7438451.html

https://www.wagnerreese.com/blog/201...ons-can-lead-/

https://www.injurytriallawyer.com/bl...ng-drivers.cfm

I mean, you guys still use cars that have cruise control, too, even though more people have died while using it than have died with Tesla's Autopilot (which is a dumb name for what is essentially a super duper cruise control).

Old 02-14-2020, 08:07 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,231,744 times
Here's a feature that should be included in so called "smart cars":
* if lane assist is engaged more than 3 times in say a 30 second rolling window, then the car will automatically pull over to the side of the road and be shutoff/disabled until a Law Enforcement Officer is dispatched and assesses the driver's condition(from auto call feature built into the car).

Either the driver is impaired, distracted, or incompetent.

* if the auto-disable is engaged more than 2 times in a 1 month period, then an in-car camera will be required to be installed to monitor the driver's ability to operate the vehicle in a safe and un-distracted manner. If the in car camera detects unsafe or distracted driving, then the car will automatically pull over to the side of the rode, the video will be sent to LEOs, the car disabled, and the driver's license revoked.

Last edited by Trekker99; 02-14-2020 at 09:06 AM..

Old 02-14-2020, 08:49 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
"Killed by Tesla Autopilot" is a bit of a stretch.

Key quote from the article: "Tesla says Autopilot is intended for driver assistance and that drivers must be ready to intervene at all times. The company says drivers should have both hands on the wheel and stay in control of the vehicle."
It is all about the title to get people to click it. Doesn't have to be real or correct, it has to sell ads.

Old 02-14-2020, 09:36 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,709 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Huang was likely a AAPL 'Software' engineer, or maybe a marketing engineer.

Best to also understand the myriad of mechanical things that 'could' go wrong with any mechanical system. (as well as software / proximity sensors...). Lots of things can go wrong.

Germany was my first exposure to 'Auto Driving Tesla (5 yrs ago). Was interesting, and quite perceptive to conditions nearby. Unexpected stationary objects in foreground may need to be tweaked in the software. Or... something else went wrong.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:12 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,171,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
If you're ready to intervene at any time with both hands on the wheel, then you're pretty much driving. So I don't even understand the point of having the AutoPilot.

Tesla should rename it because its a name that people take for granted.

From https://www.tesla.com/autopilot

"Autopilot

Autopilot advanced safety and convenience features are designed to assist you with the most burdensome parts of driving. Autopilot introduces new features and improves existing functionality to make your Tesla safer and more capable over time.
Autopilot enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically within its lane.
Current Autopilot features require active driver supervision and do not make the vehicle autonomous."

Old 02-14-2020, 10:28 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,050,786 times
I post all over these Tesla forums as a fanatic but one part about Tesla that i'm less excited about is the Autopilot/FSD. I think Autopilot is a misleading way to describe how the system works (it's more like an advanced cruise control).

I am also concerned about FSD. Even the most powerful AI tools may not be able to respond to the millions of different scenarios drivers face everyday. Like swerving around a pothole that wasn't there a few hours ago. Or slamming the brakes before a sinkhole that wasn't there yesterday. or seeing a dog run down the hill unknowingly towards the road with no intention of stopping...a human may see that but AI may not.

Old 02-15-2020, 12:00 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,709 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Here's a feature that should be included in so called "smart cars":
* if lane assist is engaged more than 3 times in say a 30 second rolling window, then the car will automatically pull over to the side of the road and be shutoff/disabled until a Law Enforcement Officer is dispatched and assesses the driver's condition(from auto call feature built into the car).

Either the driver is impaired, distracted, or incompetent

* if the auto-disable is engaged more than 2 times in a 1 month period, then an in-car camera will be required to be installed to monitor the driver's ability to operate the vehicle in a safe and un-distracted manner. If the in car camera detects unsafe or distracted driving, then the car will automatically pull over to the side of the rode, the video will be sent to LEOs, the car disabled, and the driver's license revoked.
I am expecting my rental cars with 'lane departure' to stop letting me drive.
They warn, then they alarm, then they flash a message to 'rest', then they suggest I stop for coffee....

Just seeing how creative they get before they shut down. I seldom drive only in my lane. That is only for Disneyland cars!

Old 02-15-2020, 05:44 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
If you're ready to intervene at any time with both hands on the wheel, then you're pretty much driving. So I don't even understand the point of having the AutoPilot.
I was thinking the same thing. I really don't understand how someone who was smart enough to earn the money necessary for a Tesla was stupid enough to take his hands off the wheel and basically stop driving, especially after complaining that the system was not working properly on his Tesla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive