Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 11:58 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Not too long ago GM had a brand that was sold all over the globe. In both Left Hand and Right Hand drive configurations. This brand had developed an expertise in maximizing performance from small displacement engines. Was a global standard for crash-worthiness. Offered both gasoline and diesel engines, even propane for a while! Delivered a functional plug-in hybrid to the Geneva Auto show for display before the GM Volt was developed. Had on-board electronics that surpassed everything developed out of GM-Detroit.

So what did GM do with this brand? They suffocated it, bankrupted it, and shut it down.
That is a perfect description of what they did to Saturn.

A blunder that cost them many loyal customers like me.

Last edited by phlinak; 02-18-2020 at 12:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 12:05 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
One problem that I have read on in the past that's easy to understand is that market tastes in other countries is simply different than in the US. Americans, more so than people in other nations, tend to like really big vehicles with macho styling and big engines, that are big and fast, and get lousy gas mileage. So many American vehicles simply don't have the mass appeal in other nations that they do in the USA and our offerings that do great here just don't translate that well to appeal overseas. If you look at the vehicles being produced by Asian and European makers for their local markets, they tend to be smaller and more practical and fuel efficient. Gas prices alone can explain much of this, but part of it is just different cultures too.
Well stated and spot on, I wish I could rep you again.

Personally, I wish GM had offered those smaller, more practical, and more fuel efficient vehicles here, like the Tour X wagon, which is exceptional.

If they had, I would have stayed with them and continued to buy "American".

Old 02-18-2020, 04:46 PM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Well stated and spot on, I wish I could rep you again.

Personally, I wish GM had offered those smaller, more practical, and more fuel efficient vehicles here, like the Tour X wagon, which is exceptional.

If they had, I would have stayed with them and continued to buy "American".
Yes... I understand that GM cut their losses by pulling out, but I don't agree with the positive spin some people are putting on it. Sure, pulling out is better than losing money if your sales suck. But GM has been in these markets for over 50 years! And it would have been better for them to find ways to continue to succeed, as in for example, understanding what people actually want and giving it to them, rather than just saying:
1. "You want a Chevy Silverado or a Suburban, you just don't know it yet, let me continue telling you why you want this $50,000 vehicle that's going to get 15mpg, you'll come around..."
2. "Oh, you don't want what we're trying to push? Well then we're going home!"

There are other companies that sell different vehicles in different markets, so as to appeal to different customer needs.

Old 02-19-2020, 04:31 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
The Mustang has always been RWD.
I think the poster meant RHD?

Old 02-19-2020, 06:27 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
That makes more sense.

Old 02-19-2020, 07:39 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Yes... I understand that GM cut their losses by pulling out, but I don't agree with the positive spin some people are putting on it. Sure, pulling out is better than losing money if your sales suck. But GM has been in these markets for over 50 years! And it would have been better for them to find ways to continue to succeed, as in for example, understanding what people actually want and giving it to them, rather than just saying:
1. "You want a Chevy Silverado or a Suburban, you just don't know it yet, let me continue telling you why you want this $50,000 vehicle that's going to get 15mpg, you'll come around..."
2. "Oh, you don't want what we're trying to push? Well then we're going home!"

There are other companies that sell different vehicles in different markets, so as to appeal to different customer needs.
Were they actually trying to push Silverados in Australia?

Old 02-19-2020, 12:34 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,817,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Nope. Meant rwd.

Old 02-19-2020, 12:48 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Were they actually trying to push Silverados in Australia?
Yes - 2500 series in special editions. Not 1500 single cab work trucks. HSV division brings them in and converts to RHD. FCA has an agreement with a firm there selling Ram trucks as wll.

Old 02-19-2020, 12:51 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Nope. Meant rwd.
Yes I said Mustang which is RWD and I added the latter as emphasis.

Old 02-19-2020, 09:02 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,246,724 times
If GM keeps closing factories and eliminating brands, in not too many years there won't be anything left of it.

The next time the economy takes a downturn, GM may not be worth the effort to preserve it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive