Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 07:37 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times

Advertisements

Once you have become proficient enough shifting a manual transmission, you have already learned how to slowdown by downshifting the gears to almost a stop, most times without having to use the brake pedal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2020, 11:27 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,901,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Once you have become proficient enough shifting a manual transmission, you have already learned how to slowdown by downshifting the gears to almost a stop, most times without having to use the brake pedal.
Thinking about that, I rarely used my engine to slow my vehicles (by downshifting) - - unless it was just easing into a slower mode. I would much rather put wear on my brakes than putting hard downshifting stress on an engine.

Old 02-29-2020, 09:56 PM

807 posts, read 689,593 times
Quote:
That needlessly wears out the clutch. Brake pads are easy to replace, clutches aren't. Use your brakes to slow down, and rev match when you downshift.

Old 02-29-2020, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
That needlessly wears out the clutch. Brake pads are easy to replace, clutches aren't. Use your brakes to slow down, and rev match when you downshift.
For several years I drove tractors and dump trucks that had manual transmissions. When driving such rigs, one learns to coast down to a stop as one downshifts. Even up-shifting most times one can shift to the next gear without pressing the clutch pedal. When done properly there isn't any significant clutch disk wear, just normal wear. By downshifting to the proper gear is all I am talking about, not downshifting to rapidly slowdown. Now, if you ride the clutch there is some disk wear, but not during normal up/down shifting at the right engine RPM. Even years ago the trucks I drove had hill assist controls to reduce the likelihood of burning the disk when moving up a hill from a standstill at a light or stop (for example).

Last edited by RayinAK; 03-01-2020 at 12:24 AM..

Old 03-01-2020, 02:54 PM

807 posts, read 689,593 times
Quote:
For several years I drove tractors and dump trucks that had manual transmissions. When driving such rigs, one learns to coast down to a stop as one downshifts. Even up-shifting most times one can shift to the next gear without pressing the clutch pedal. When done properly there isn't any significant clutch disk wear, just normal wear. By downshifting to the proper gear is all I am talking about, not downshifting to rapidly slowdown. Now, if you ride the clutch there is some disk wear, but not during normal up/down shifting at the right engine RPM. Even years ago the trucks I drove had hill assist controls to reduce the likelihood of burning the disk when moving up a hill from a standstill at a light or stop (for example).
Aren't most manual transmissions in dump trucks/freight trucks unsynchronized though? I've always heard that truck drivers generally learned how to float gears because the clutch is really heavy, and if you do it right there's nothing to really worry about. On the flipside, any relatively modern car with a manual has synchros on each gear in the transmission, and those get worn out quickly by clutchless shifting (makes it hard or impossible to get into a gear with a failed synchro).

Old 03-01-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Aren't most manual transmissions in dump trucks/freight trucks unsynchronized though? I've always heard that truck drivers generally learned how to float gears because the clutch is really heavy, and if you do it right there's nothing to really worry about. On the flipside, any relatively modern car with a manual has synchros on each gear in the transmission, and those get worn out quickly by clutchless shifting (makes it hard or impossible to get into a gear with a failed synchro).
I am old, but not that much (just kidding with you).

Synchronized transmissions were introduced in the late 20's. Anyway, I did drive one of the very old AC road graders in the late '70s, and this one did not have a synchronized transmission. Everything was manual on this grader, including not having hydraulic pumps and hoses for the moldboard, blade, and the rest. It had shafts with shear pins all around. If the RPM was not perfect, upshifting required double-clutching while bringing the RPM up, and you won't believe how hard it was to push the clutch pedal with your foot. Hydraulic clutches make a huge difference

You are right about the synchros. They do wear. By the way, one can also coast to a stop when driving a car with an automatic transmission, except that one does not have to downshift it. Just let off the gas pedal and let it slow down. But with a manual transmission, careful downshifting while maintaining the engine RPM within the correct range, does not create any significant wear of the clutch disk, and it's a lot of fun to be in control of both the motor and the transmission.

Last edited by RayinAK; 03-01-2020 at 05:46 PM..

Old 03-01-2020, 07:03 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times
Quote:
transmissions have been around forever.

By synchronized if you mean matching the engine speed to the correct speed to allow the engine and transmission to engage properly.. FYI clutchless shifting, if done right adds almost no wear to transmissions. It is an easy skill to master in a diesel truck with a motor that has a RPM variance of a few hundred RPMs between gears. A lot more difficult in cars or small truck with an RPM spread of 1000 or more between gears. IMHO and several million miles of driving.

Old 03-01-2020, 10:46 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,649,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouringsunshine View Post
but the thing is, i’ve been practicing for 14 hours total and i still haven’t got the hang of it. maybe i’m just an idiot because other people grasp it so much faster and I feel like I really suck. I’m never going to pass this test lol
You aren't an idiot; 14 hours is nothing.

When you're about to slow down, just throw the car into neutral, and use the brakes to slow down.

If you're rounding a curve, use the same gear when you downshift, that you would use when you upshift. For example: You use second gear for 15-20MPH (?); okay...so if you're going around a curve, and you're gonna be taking the curve at 20MPH, you can shift from neutral into second gear.

Correlate the gears to the speeds, and then you'll know what to downshift into. If you're driving 40MPH, and you're gonna slow down to 30MPH, you'd likely shift into third gear.

But 14 hours is nothing. It took me a good month to get proficient in shifting, in and around NYC (Queens, Brooklyn, etc) in traffic.

Old 03-04-2020, 09:58 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
Quote:

no it doesnt, most cars today are running 150k on orignal clutch. Old days it was lucky get 20 k out of a clutch

Old 03-05-2020, 05:45 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Normally I downshift. But in heavier traffic I used the brakes instead. You’d be surprised the number of people who almost rear end me and yell/beep at me for busted brake lights

Sometimes I just lightly rest my foot on the pedal to turn the lights on. Most people are clueless regarding the quirks of a stick car. I bet there are people who don’t even know such transmissions exist

Coincidentally I just wrapped up a rebuild. I love these gearboxes. Really simple and fun to work on compared to an automatic
Attached Thumbnails
How do I smoothly stop my (stick) car in intersections, roundabouts etc?-f4f83445-d50a-449f-bad9-0d1925fab182.jpeg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive