Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 11:41 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
True. For your situation where you cannot charge at home or place of work and are particularly susceptible to long power outages, an EV would only make sense as EVs become the same cost of or lower than that of ICE vehicles even at entry level and charge about as fast at fast chargers as ICE vehicles at a pump and fast charging stations are along or very close to multiple routes that you normally take. Unfortunately, that’s still likely several years away.
That’s what I’m waiting for and for my electric rate to go down but i don’t see that happening since my power company just had a 33 percent rate increase..

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...es/1900782001/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2020, 12:35 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
https://airqualitynews.com/2020/02/1...chasing-an-ev/

Unfortunately for the haters, EV "mania" is here to stay.
I suspect Great Britain has made advances in charging stations that we in the U S haven't? I'd like an EV, esp since they are less complicated, so have fewer breakdown issues & repairs. But as my only car, I'd need to have access to charging stations, like I have to gas stations. I could rent a gas vehicle for a long trip. I'm ok w/that. But even for tooling around town or short trips to a nearby town, I'd need some charging stations when I'm out & about, just in case. If I run out of a charge, it's not like I can take a gas can & walk to a nearby station & bring back some "charging" for my EV.

I also wonder about the cost comparison between charging at home vs gasoline.

When there's a power outage in the area, we'd all lose the use of our vehicles? How does that work? Even a nearby charging station would be down in a power outage.

Old 02-21-2020, 12:39 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I suspect Great Britain has made advances in charging stations that we in the U S haven't? I'd like an EV, esp since they are less complicated, so have fewer breakdown issues & repairs. But as my only car, I'd need to have access to charging stations, like I have to gas stations. I could rent a gas vehicle for a long trip. I'm ok w/that. But even for tooling around town or short trips to a nearby town, I'd need some charging stations when I'm out & about, just in case. If I run out of a charge, it's not like I can take a gas can & walk to a nearby station & bring back some "charging" for my EV.

I also wonder about the cost comparison between charging at home vs gasoline.

When there's a power outage in the area, we'd all lose the use of our vehicles? How does that work? Even a nearby charging station would be down in a power outage.
Does this mean you don’t have access to charging at home or work? That’s generally, especially the former, how people charge EVs.

Old 02-21-2020, 02:00 PM

3,260 posts, read 3,772,785 times
Quote:
That's great, thanks. Since almost a year ago, probably over 50% now. Fantastic.
And still less than 2% of the actual market.

Despite the EV subsidies and the massive gas taxes.

Old 02-21-2020, 02:33 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
And what about these people that only have a 100 amp service going to their homes. There’s still homes out there that still have fuses instead of breakers. It’s not cheap to up grade the electric in a home especially if it still has old wiring from the 40’s in their walls. People seem to think just because you have a house than installing a EV Charger should be no problem. I know we’re i live there’s many homes that were built in the 30’s , 40,s and 50’s that still have cloth covered wiring with no ground. And the garage way in the back yard with no power going to them at all.

Old 02-21-2020, 03:25 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,950,658 times
Quote:
https://airqualitynews.com/2020/02/1...chasing-an-ev/

Unfortunately for the haters, EV "mania" is here to stay.
It continues to baffle me why you care so much.

Old 02-21-2020, 03:38 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tax2high026 View Post
Natural disasters and associated power problems ie lack there of kill them for me. And ev might be better for air quality but what about all the heavy metals once all those batteries have to be changed out. They might be capable of manufacturing batteries but are enough ready to recycle, repair or dispose of all those batteries.
What heavy metals? Lithium is a light metal, and not particularly toxic. The reason to recycle lithium batteries is to recover the lithium, which is not cheap.

Old 02-21-2020, 03:41 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
And what about these people that only have a 100 amp service going to their homes. There’s still homes out there that still have fuses instead of breakers. It’s not cheap to up grade the electric in a home especially if it still has old wiring from the 40’s in their walls. People seem to think just because you have a house than installing a EV Charger should be no problem. I know we’re i live there’s many homes that were built in the 30’s , 40,s and 50’s that still have cloth covered wiring with no ground. And the garage way in the back yard with no power going to them at all.
People living with a 1940s electrical service are not the customer base for a new car.

Old 02-21-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Compared to the UK, which is what the topic is about, it’s possible they have a larger proportion of older homes than the US does.

For people without access to electrical sockets where their vehicle is parked at home, it probably comes down to EVs charging fast enough and fast charging stations ubiquitous enough to essentially replicate the conditions of ICE vehicles. For those who only have access to older electrical wiring that doesn’t allow for much power draws, it’s a combination of the above along with EVs becoming efficient enough to yield decent range with lower power charging settings.

Old 02-21-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
It continues to baffle me why you care so much.
He’s interested in EVs, while you’re interested in going to EV topics to dissuade people from being interested in EVs. I feel like your viewpoint is the odder one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive