Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 12:46 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,375,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I work a lot with average Middle Easterners. The crazy gold plated Rolls Royces and luxury tanks make the news but average folks drive Nissan SUV’s and Toyota trucks (the Nissan Patrol is hugely popular). Kia’s and Hyundai’s are the common go to vehicle everywhere from the Caribbean to Vietnam.

I’ve been all over the country and all over the world so it always cracks me up when people think a $50k electric sedan is mainstream because it’s popular in California and Norway. I’m like “god people are so naive”.
What world do you live in - $50K puts someone in the top 1% worldwide. The mainstream worldwide is on foot, bicycle or a moped, not a Nissan, Toyota or an EV.

BTW - I have driven in several middle eastern countries. From what I've seen, cars tend to be mostly high end (locals) or low end (imported workers), very few average cars. The Toyota's there tend to be Land Cruisers and Pickups are mostly work vehicles.

Last edited by ddeemo; 02-23-2020 at 01:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2020, 07:24 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
It is not powering much if just sitting there and they turn off what little is being drawn once get to about 20%. Tesla says to expect about 1% per day but have never really checked. I do know that when we left town for a week recently, lost less than 10% while it was parked at the airport so sounds about right.
Depends on the temperature too. Right now my Volt doesn't lose any range just sitting there unplugged, but in hot weather it will turn on the a/c compressor to cool the battery when it needs to. The manual says to keep it plugged in (when possible) if temperature is over 90F.

I'm sure in an EV with a big battery the range loss from that would be negligible.

Old 02-23-2020, 09:38 AM

9,414 posts, read 11,159,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
"70% of all car buyers are now considering an EV" - maniacs, I tell yah!!! We're doomed!
You can make any survey say anything you want it to say.

Rest assured, though, this one is REAL! It's for the children.

Old 02-23-2020, 10:44 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
As the younger baby boomers (like myself) age we certainly are going to look - if we can afford it - at the safer alternative of self-driving or partial self-driving cars.

In the case of Tesla, it's the software and digital hardware that blows away ANY of the ICE cars or other EV's.

I see myself buying one once I am well over 70.....if I live and have transport needs.

It would be the most I ever spent on a car but compared to getting in a crash, etc. it's a total bargain.

For most of us, getting hurt or killed in a vehicle is high up on the possibilities.

50K? Well, if 50K is top 1% in the USA then what the heck are all those 50K+ loaded pick-me-ups doing on the road? Not only can the buyers afford the trucks, but then they gas them up (at 2X the rate of a car) and floor them at every traffic light and in the passing lane.

Must be a lot of money out there. Or, more accurately, a lot of credit and debt.

I never made more than 150K (household) in a year in my career. Yet I could buy a Tesla and not even notice it. 150K, I think, may put our household in the top 10% in the USA. In fact, "mean" household income in the USA for whites and for asians is close to 100K.

After having paid for 3 children for college and grad school, everything else in a rounding error. I wouldn't suggest young people to buy any EV other than the Bolt (u can get a real deal), etc....tho. Better to wait until all the basics are fully covered.

Old 02-23-2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
As the younger baby boomers (like myself) age we certainly are going to look - if we can afford it - at the safer alternative of self-driving or partial self-driving cars.

In the case of Tesla, it's the software and digital hardware that blows away ANY of the ICE cars or other EV's.

I see myself buying one once I am well over 70.....if I live and have transport needs.

It would be the most I ever spent on a car but compared to getting in a crash, etc. it's a total bargain.

For most of us, getting hurt or killed in a vehicle is high up on the possibilities.

50K? Well, if 50K is top 1% in the USA then what the heck are all those 50K+ loaded pick-me-ups doing on the road? Not only can the buyers afford the trucks, but then they gas them up (at 2X the rate of a car) and floor them at every traffic light and in the passing lane.

Must be a lot of money out there. Or, more accurately, a lot of credit and debt.

I never made more than 150K (household) in a year in my career. Yet I could buy a Tesla and not even notice it. 150K, I think, may put our household in the top 10% in the USA. In fact, "mean" household income in the USA for whites and for asians is close to 100K.

After having paid for 3 children for college and grad school, everything else in a rounding error. I wouldn't suggest young people to buy any EV other than the Bolt (u can get a real deal), etc....tho. Better to wait until all the basics are fully covered.
Using 2018 Stats - Making $50K puts someone in the top 1% in the world, $50K in the US puts a household at the 60% level (40% make less). Making $150K puts household at about top 15% level (15.5% to be exact). At $150K income, take home is more like $110-120K.

The median household income (center value) for Asians is $87K, for Whites is $70K, for all US is $67K - note that individual income numbers are much lower than household with median individual income at $48K. The mean (average) household for Asians is $114K, Whites is $90K and for all is $73K.

Old 02-23-2020, 11:02 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,373 times
260+ million cars in the USA on the roads.

I think about 18 million new cars and trucks sold every year, and about 13 of the 18 million are trucks.

So even if 100% of all new sales were EV, it would take almost 15 years to replace the ICE for basic public use.

What percent of people are buying EV today?

People really think everybody is going to be driving EV in like 10 years or even less.

Not anywhere close to reality.

ICE is here to stay for way, way, way longer than anyone thinks.

Old 02-24-2020, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post

I think about 18 million new cars and trucks sold every year, and about 13 of the 18 million are trucks.

So even if 100% of all new sales were EV, it would take almost 15 years to replace the ICE for basic public use.

People really think everybody is going to be driving EV in like 10 years or even less.

True but EVs are starting to be a bigger share of vehicles.

Just FYI - your numbers are a close , only a little off - 17.3M vehicles/year - about 5.5M are cars, about 3M are pickups, about 8.8M are SUV, Crossover, etc.

Old 02-24-2020, 07:39 AM

1,740 posts, read 1,266,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post

Wait - who thinks everyone is going to be driving an EV in 10 years? Sounds like you created a fictional strawman...

Old 02-24-2020, 08:38 AM

5,762 posts, read 11,367,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
That’s why Diesel is so popular in Europe more mpg with Diesel so better for their pocketbooks. Here in the USA gasoline is cheap gas at Sams club is $2.18 today. And we’re i live there’s too many power outages in the summer during thunderstorms, so no power no charging.
Diesel is now less popular in many countries in Europe. Diesel new car market share has dropped from about 50 percent to about 35 percent in just the past 2 years, mostly due to the emissions cheating scandal by VW and a few other brands. Resale value on diesel used cars have plummeted due to older models having much higher emissions, and some cities in Germany have banned older diesel cars from the center city areas. Older model diesel cars will require retrofitting in order to meet EU emissions standards, and it is not cheap.

Regarding EVs, UK has the same issue that other places in Europe have. Most city dwellers live in high density, multi-unit residential areas. Most park cars on the street or in an open parking lot, and don't have a dedicated parking spot. Lacking a place to re-charge an EV at home is a big barrier to mass sales.

Old 02-24-2020, 10:44 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
Wait - who thinks everyone is going to be driving an EV in 10 years? Sounds like you created a fictional strawman...
Just about the majority of young people I talk to.

Same with self driving cars.

I work with a lot of young people, and most really believe everybody will be in a self driving car in 5 years, lol.

I love the enthusiasm, but they have zero clue on how the real world works.

None of this stuff is going to happen on any major scale for way longer than most people think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive