Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 09:58 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,852,517 times

Advertisements

I am not surprised on the drop for Honda and Toyota. They are either having more problems with their newer cars, or the others are getting pretty good. Either way, it is more worth it now to cross shop the brands as I find Honda and Toyota base trims pretty stripped down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2020, 12:45 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,942,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
I am not surprised on the drop for Honda and Toyota. They are either having more problems with their newer cars, or the others are getting pretty good.
The declines of Honda and Toyota reliability are coming from 2016 Honda Civic, 2017 Honda CR-V, 2018 Honda Accord, 2018 Honda Odyssey, 2018 Toyota Camry, and 2019 Toyota RAV4, where they were redesigned extensively with new engines in order to improve MPG in big numbers. Unfortunately, More MPG = Less Durable, that I mentioned several times already, and this is becoming more reality in most newer vehicles now when they are becoming more disposable and unrepairable.

2020 Ford Fusion S (base-trim only) is now rated more-reliable than Toyota Camry and Honda Accord by Consumer Reports, after a nice 12 year hiatus (since 2008) of possible return again.

Last edited by waltchan; 02-21-2020 at 12:56 AM..

Old 02-21-2020, 09:48 AM

8,313 posts, read 3,921,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
I do not have the years of professional analytical study experience that you have, but I have had Subarus that CR rated high and I concur. I have had three generations of Hondas that they rated highly and I also concur. I've had a Chrysler Town and Country that I thought was a POS and CR concurred in print. They have rung many of my bells regarding vehicles. I found them lacking occasionally in other consumer products, so I always read but verify though many other sources. I find that verifying information is very easy nowadays with universal internet access, but also promotes paralysis by analysis in some instances. At that point, I say screw it and purchase what appeals to me esthetically, financially and at times, mechanically.

Thanks for sharing.
Actually you don't concur with their findings on Honda, 17th in this CR list and Acura is 24. They have been extremely reliable for me, which immediately has to make you wonder about these new CR rankings, especially with several German cars in the top 10. Or as another poster noted, maybe the range of variance in quality is decreasing so that these rankings become less useful. In other words, this ranking is not as important as it once was in the deciding fator on choosing a car, as all the OEMs have improved?

Old 02-21-2020, 11:22 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Actually you don't concur with their findings on Honda, 17th in this CR list and Acura is 24. They have been extremely reliable for me, which immediately has to make you wonder about these new CR rankings, especially with several German cars in the top 10. Or as another poster noted, maybe the range of variance in quality is decreasing so that these rankings become less useful. In other words, this ranking is not as important as it once was in the deciding fator on choosing a car, as all the OEMs have improved?
I should been a bit clearer, my Hondas were all 80's 90's and an early 2000, back then CR concurred with my findings. Haven't owned one since then, sorry.

Old 02-21-2020, 11:30 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,928,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
On just about every quality study I've ever done, the "luxury" car - in reality - has more TGW's or things that need to be repaired than the non-luxury equivalent. The luxury cars just have more widgets on them so there are more potential things to break. Honda should be ranked above Acura, Chevy should be ahead of Cadillac, etc.

But often times data gets skewed because of their small sample sizes not to mention the confirmation bias on many of these surveys.

Old 02-21-2020, 12:07 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
You forgot to say what CR was ranking for the brands. Whether it's performance, speed from a dead stop, reliability, car repairs in the 1st year, customer satisfaction, or what.

I doubt Porsche was #1 in reliability, for instance. In fact, I know it wasn't.

So I'm guess some sort of performance? Or customer satisfaction?

Old 02-21-2020, 12:26 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
You forgot to say what CR was ranking for the brands. Whether it's performance, speed from a dead stop, reliability, car repairs in the 1st year, customer satisfaction, or what.

I doubt Porsche was #1 in reliability, for instance. In fact, I know it wasn't.

So I'm guess some sort of performance? Or customer satisfaction?
I found the article in USA Today. Here are some details:

It's CR's top picks of "best vehicles you can buy" in 2020, in each of four price ranges:

Under $25,000 - Toyota Corolla.
$25,000-$35,000 - Subaru Forester, Subaru Legacy, Toyota Prius.
$35,000-$45,000 - Kia Telluride, Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Avalon
$45,000-$55,000 - Lexus RX, Tesla Model 3, Toyota Supra

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...20/4797858002/

Toyota fared very well, with five total spots across the price ranges (incl its luxury brand, Lexus). Subaru, owned by Fuji like Toyota is, snagged two vehicle spots in "best you can buy" lists.

I'm not sure I understand the "brand report" list as relates to these in the "best you can buy" lists for the different price ranges. Except...the price range lists of "best you can buy" are specific models, while the general brand reports card list is just the manufacturer & includes all models, the good and the not so good ones?

Old 02-21-2020, 03:38 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Subaru was never downgraded for having millions of cars sold with defective engines - out of 6 vehicles in our family (many model years), 4 of them needed the new head gaskets early in the game...and one of them needed it twice before 100K miles. They sent out "stop leak" to put in the radiator as one fix. They kept claiming it was fixed and yet it kept happening in newer model years.

Never again will I buy one of their cars. Realistically, they were largely junk anyway....and I got my first Subie in 1985. At least back then we knew we bought it because it was cheap.

Porsche #1? I think consumer perception and "investment" in the vehicles has something to do with this. My buddy who had one finally got frustrated and went to Lexus.

Old 02-21-2020, 03:45 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
I find that they focus on their world, not mine.

It is 47 years since I last drove in snow. I can not foresee ever doing it again. To CR snow is a paramount deal.

For a time they included towing capacity in their reports, but discontinued it.

For many make cars there are independent web sites where owners that provide more detailed info.

Old 02-21-2020, 08:35 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,746,641 times
consumer reports huh? were you done reading the onion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive