Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 07:12 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times

Advertisements

Wow, that means 95.2% of cars in Japan are Japanese. (I guess "cars" is inclusive of pickup trucks, SUVs, and vans). I wonder if that's the highest percentage in the world for cars that are domestic.

At one time, the USA was in a similar boat. American cars made up at least 95.0% of cars sold in the USA in 1965 (GM 49.59%, Ford 26.76%, Chrysler Corp 14.25%, AMC 2.99%, International 1.38%) "Other" brands were 0.61% and some of these were American as well so in 1965 the USA was equivalent to where Japan is today with percentage of imported cars. At that time, Volkswagen sold a majority of the imported cars in the USA. Nissan was the best-selling Japanese make with a whopping 0.17% of sales.

GM alone sold more than half of all cars in the USA at one time in the early 1960s. They had 40% market share as recently as 1985.

By 2016, USA-branded cars were only 44.7% of the market.

https://knoema.com/infographics/flos...rket-1961-2016
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2020, 03:11 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
Kia/Hyundai, by far, have the most engine issues relative to any other manufacturer. Not only do I get this feedback from working with dealers in my business but personally I've had more friends with engine issues in Kia/Hyundai's as well. (Including 3 who've needed complete engine replacements before 36K miles.) They lag behind the industry in powertrain engineering and it's been that way for a long time.

We all know Kia/Hyundai came into the US market with low priced/low quality products. They were basically the same products they were selling in Korea, where they dominate the (protectionist) market and did not have to spend the money to improve their products. Once they got to the US, and saw how far behind they really were, they started a plan to improve their products. (With the financial help of their government, by the way.)

They started by hiring people who knew the US auto business. First and foremost was John Krafcik who I worked with closely when I was at Ford Motor Co. He set the plan to get Hyundai/Kia relevant. Step one was to fix the first thing people see: Exterior design. They've done a good job here as they have good looking vehicles for the most part.

Then they started to put a little more money in the 2nd thing people see: Interiors. They're kind of in the middle of refreshing all their interiors now, and you see that with some of the newer products.

Lastly, I'm guessing they will turn their attention to the powertrain at some point. They must....as this is the major weak link of their brand relative to their competitors right now.
Couldn't help but notice your comment on Kia/Humdai engine issues. Just last night I was talking to a to a gal friend of mine who has a Kia Forte, and just two weeks ago, with 52K on the clock, needed a new engine put in....under warranty fortunately.

My granddaughters boyfriend has a fairly new (2016 maybe) Kia Optima...and he had a new engine put in a year or so ago. Not sure how many miles were on it at that time....but it wasn't super high mileage, I know that.

Since I don't recall any of my other friends/family/acquaintances needing new engines in their cars the past any number of years....my "unscientific" poll says Kia's definitely have an engine problem!

Old 02-25-2020, 05:04 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Consumer Reports is less biased than any other rating entity I know. I trust them and use them before buying most items.

Vehicles are something I like to keep long term. So JD Powers and CR focus on more near near experience. Initial quality is JD Powers best known measure. Its useful but not the end all. I also use something I only learned existed here. Its called dash light. It measures reliability for older vehicles over a long haul. Another factor in the long term is how the owner takes care of the vehicle.

I buy new and keep them long term. I have had great luck with Infiniti. The best sedan I ever owned is my current large Lexus. I define both these cars as flawless since neither one, they are 10 and 5 years old respectively, has failed to start and be ready to go when I need it other than for a dead battery. Ready to go means no maintenance other than PM needed at any time.

Infiniti use to run high on CR, my experience is between 1993 and 2010 when they were better rated than they are now per CR.

CR is no rip off. CR is a valuable tool I use, I have an online access membership, costs an extra 20 or so a year but it is key as one can search online rather than thumb thru the issues you had to save. The biggest issue I have with CR is how reviews such as on TV's get stale due to new models arriving pretty fast cyels

Love my CR and both cars I now own.

Old 02-26-2020, 07:30 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,872,199 times
Quote:
Kia/Hyundai, by far, have the most engine issues relative to any other manufacturer. Not only do I get this feedback from working with dealers in my business but personally I've had more friends with engine issues in Kia/Hyundai's as well. (Including 3 who've needed complete engine replacements before 36K miles.) They lag behind the industry in powertrain engineering and it's been that way for a long time.
They started by hiring people who knew the US auto business. First and foremost was John Krafcik who I worked with closely when I was at Ford Motor Co. He set the plan to get Hyundai/Kia relevant. Step one was to fix the first thing people see: Exterior design. They've done a good job here as they have good looking vehicles for the most part. .
Thanks for this - in your opinion, 2019-2020 Ford Edge or Hyundai Santa Fe?

Old 02-26-2020, 08:24 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Ford Edge - no question. But I'd pick a lot of things in that class before the Santa Fe.

I do not trust the powertrains with Hyundai/Kia given so many of them (relatively speaking) ran into major problems between 30K and 60K miles. They are the most unreliable on the market with the shortest average life. If you're going to sell the car in a few years probably not an issue but if you plan on keeping the car a long time Hyundai/Kia would be at the bottom of the list you should consider in my opinion.

The Edge’s standard 2.0 turbo 4 cyl. produces 65 more horsepower (250 vs. 185) and 102 lbs.-ft. more torque (280 at 3,000 RPM vs. 178 at 4,000 RPM) than the Santa Fe’s standard 2.4 DOHC 4 cyl. Even with Hyundai's optional engine, the Edge’s 2.0 turbo 4 cyl. produces 15 more horsepower (250 vs. 235) and 20 lbs.-ft. more torque (280 vs. 260) than the Santa Fe 2.0T’s standard 2.0 turbo 4 cyl.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:10 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
I'd pick a Honda Pilot over those two. Between those two, Ford Edge. However, if you don't need AWD, a 3rd row seat, or the extra towing/cargo capacity, I'd get a midsize or large sedan.

Old 03-03-2020, 06:07 AM

7,493 posts, read 7,176,530 times
Agree, but note even CR has not been fond of Toyota's lately.

Just refer to their review of the RAV4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Consumer Reports is less biased than any other rating entity I know. I trust them and use them before buying most items.

Vehicles are something I like to keep long term. So JD Powers and CR focus on more near near experience. Initial quality is JD Powers best known measure. Its useful but not the end all. I also use something I only learned existed here. Its called dash light. It measures reliability for older vehicles over a long haul. Another factor in the long term is how the owner takes care of the vehicle.

I buy new and keep them long term. I have had great luck with Infiniti. The best sedan I ever owned is my current large Lexus. I define both these cars as flawless since neither one, they are 10 and 5 years old respectively, has failed to start and be ready to go when I need it other than for a dead battery. Ready to go means no maintenance other than PM needed at any time.

Infiniti use to run high on CR, my experience is between 1993 and 2010 when they were better rated than they are now per CR.

CR is no rip off. CR is a valuable tool I use, I have an online access membership, costs an extra 20 or so a year but it is key as one can search online rather than thumb thru the issues you had to save. The biggest issue I have with CR is how reviews such as on TV's get stale due to new models arriving pretty fast cyels

Love my CR and both cars I now own.

Old 03-03-2020, 07:35 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Honda and Toyota made their name on simple cheap cars that ran forever. Newer stuff is not simple or cheap and the Korean car companies are filling that void (they are getting pricey too though).

I do find it odd that Audi/Mini have better quality than Toyota/Honda.......that seems crazy.

Old 03-03-2020, 03:10 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,946,535 times
Quote:
I do not trust the powertrains with Hyundai/Kia given so many of them (relatively speaking) ran into major problems between 30K and 60K miles. They are the most unreliable on the market with the shortest average life. If you're going to sell the car in a few years probably not an issue but if you plan on keeping the car a long time Hyundai/Kia would be at the bottom of the list you should consider in my opinion.
The previous Hyundai/Kia engine (before Theta) called Beta was far more-durable and one of the longest-lasting engines on the road, actually. Reason why, cast-iron engine block. It makes a whole lot of difference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Beta_engine

Hyundai/Kia is absolutely capable in building vehicles that are just as reliable as Toyota and Honda.

Old 03-03-2020, 03:57 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
Wow, that means 95.2% of cars in Japan are Japanese. (I guess "cars" is inclusive of pickup trucks, SUVs, and vans). I wonder if that's the highest percentage in the world for cars that are domestic.

At one time, the USA was in a similar boat. American cars made up at least 95.0% of cars sold in the USA in 1965 (GM 49.59%, Ford 26.76%, Chrysler Corp 14.25%, AMC 2.99%, International 1.38%) "Other" brands were 0.61% and some of these were American as well so in 1965 the USA was equivalent to where Japan is today with percentage of imported cars. At that time, Volkswagen sold a majority of the imported cars in the USA. Nissan was the best-selling Japanese make with a whopping 0.17% of sales.

GM alone sold more than half of all cars in the USA at one time in the early 1960s. They had 40% market share as recently as 1985.

By 2016, USA-branded cars were only 44.7% of the market.

https://knoema.com/infographics/flos...rket-1961-2016
It's interesting that Chrysler has been steady the whole time, averaging about one out of every eight vehicles sold. It's also very telling that Chrysler's highest market share came in 1996, two years before Daimler took them over, and its lowest market share came in 2009, two years after Daimler threw them away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive