Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2020, 11:17 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times

Advertisements

I have always considered myself a "car guy" too, but racing doesn't do much for me either. I have zero interest in stuff like NASCAR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2020, 11:22 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
When I was younger, I was into racing. Autocross, road course racing, and drag racing. It was a thrill!

As I have gotten older, I got away from racing and enjoy building and working on the cars in general. I haven't competitively raced (at an amateur/hobbist level) in over a decade.

I'd love to build a dedicated track car, but I just don't have the urge these days like I used to. My current project has a high investment in go-fast, handling, and braking performance parts...but I just cruise around on a SUnday to the local car meets with it these days. I haven't even gone past 70 in it in as long as I can remember

Old 02-22-2020, 12:04 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,413,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
Just make sure all of that "very fast" stuff doesn't happen on OUR public roadways my friend.

Imagine the sounds of street racing, just with EV's.

Old 02-22-2020, 12:18 PM

13,643 posts, read 9,698,765 times
What prevents my involvement with racing, beyond the occasional jaunt down the quarter-mile on Thursday Night Test-and-Tune, is the cost, where "cost" has a general meaning. Acquiring the "right" components is only a small contributor to the overall cost. Parts break. The wrong parts get installed. Some parts work, some don't. Some work until they don't. Facilities are required to make proper repairs and changes. Those facilities are costly, as are the tools and equipment.

Doing all of the above, by oneself, is also costly and stressful. Friends are needed, but friends are too busy with career or taking their kids to college-interviews or whatnot. Before trying to engage in racing, with any modicum of success, one must first hone one's social-skills. It may even be necessary to relocate to a locale were there are persons with similar interest, with time and resources of their own. All of this requires a rethinking of how one lives and how one spends one's time.

Personally I adore racing, and would keenly love to build, test, and field fast cars. But some pursuits simply aren't practical. Billions of people don't have clean water or electricity. Hey, at least I've got that. Not being able to race, is very much a "first world problem".

Old 02-22-2020, 12:54 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Most car mechanics drive their cars like grandpas.

Old 02-22-2020, 01:43 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorman420 View Post
I love cars but I have always thought that racing, in any form, was incredibly boring and a colossal waste of money. I don't see the point in building a $30k (and that's conservative) on a car that you're just going to take to the drag strip and see how fast you can run the quarter mile. To me that's just a waste of my time. I know different strokes for different folks, but I just can't get into any of it. To be fair though, I don't like any spectator sports (football, basketball, baseball, etc.) and find watching them to be worse than watching nothing at all. It just doesn't do it for me.

For me, I like the actual aspect of repairing cars and coming up with creative ways to do things that make the job easier, faster and saves wear and tear on your body. Doing the same thing over and over again gets boring to me, that's why I like independent shops because I see a wide variety of cars. Having worked at dealerships, I got so sick of seeing the same problems all the time.

Racing would be much the same for me. I can't see the point of building a $30k engine just to run one race and rebuild it again. It's too repetitive for me. Personally, my dream would be to restore classic cars but the market for that and the profits just aren't really feasible to do it professionally, however I would like to get a project car for myself and restore it to keep.

Are there any other cars guys that aren't into racing? Don't get me wrong by the way, I do like to drive fast and play around, and I love high performance cars, but WATCHING that kind of stuff is worse than watching paint dry IMO.
This is a refreshing take on cars. Preserving what you build, it's not simply a tool or means to an end.

Someone once put it better than I ever could: A luxury/exotic/classic car is not a point-A-to-point-B automobile. It is strictly a point-A-to-point-A. You don't stop anywhere you could get door dings, or visit drive-thru's, for fear of damaging your car.

Old 02-22-2020, 04:04 PM

8,480 posts, read 4,724,709 times
I’ve never really gotten into racing, either. I like a street-oriented car, and if I start having to make sacrifices to turn it into a racer, it loses all the appeal for me. That’s probably why I have never been a fan of pro racing either, it doesn’t translate into a street experience to me at all.

Old 02-22-2020, 05:20 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I love the concept of having an affordable vehicle, the freedom and convenience it provides is amazing.

Racing, meh!

Old 02-22-2020, 07:56 PM

857 posts, read 1,200,149 times
I like street race cars like a subaru STI or a mitsubishi evo but the gas mileage on those things stink and the STI only uses premium as does the WRX. never raced but i wouldnt mind doing so; just dont got a racing car. Closest to a car that i would take to a track that i ever owned was a VW passat 2010 but overtime that car had too many expensive issues that made me sell it to someone else. I like speeding on a interstate long as cops aint around but thats as far as ive gotten with fast driving...

Old 02-22-2020, 08:02 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Old guys with race cars are hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive