Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 03:25 PM

7,493 posts, read 7,162,976 times

Advertisements

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/kia/...uv-comparison/

“Even ignoring the material quality difference between the disparate Telluride and Highlander trims, the Telluride comes out on top. Its fundamental design is exceptional. Up front there's a massive, easy-to-use infotainment screen, meaty grab handles, and plenty of storage cubbies. Not to mention comfortable bucket seats. The Telluride's second and third rows are also far superior to the Highlander's. The second-row captain's chairs have more leg- and shoulder room than the Toyota (though a touch less headroom due to our tester's panoramic sunroof), plus plenty of amenities, including four cupholders, HVAC vents and controls, AC and 12-volt outlets, and clever front-seat-back-mounted USB ports for charging.

The Highlander doesn't steer or handle any better than it accelerates. Steering feel is numb and vague, leading to lots of frequent corrections as you navigate winding roads.

The Toyota Highlander might have been the best-selling three-row SUV in the U.S. last year, but the new one simply doesn't move the needle far enough forward to compete with the new kid on the block. It's neither particularly well packaged nor pleasant to drive.

To that end, the Highlander is a miss. Its biggest issues are its engine and transmission.

As for the Kia Telluride, Cortina put it best. "It seems like Kia took a look at the whole segment, noted what worked and didn't work, and created the Telluride." The Telluride is both better to drive and better to ride in. It's roomier, better-built, and all-in-all a better family SUV. Few others in this segment take a more holistic approach to the three-row SUV than Kia. It might have taken Kia some time to figure out just what Americans want in a three-row, but, by golly, it's finally nailed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2020, 08:07 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,943,961 times
Another killer with 2020 Toyota Highlander is a lack of 4-cylinder option now for base LE trim, and a $3,000 increase in starting MSRP for nothing.

Old 02-25-2020, 08:07 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,691,254 times
I recently checked out the Telluride and it's an amazing SUV for the money. Even at the base trim it is very well equipped and luxurious. It's basically Infiniti QX trim for Toyota Highlander money.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:00 AM

997 posts, read 849,867 times
I’ll take the proven 3.5 v6 engine in the Toyota any day over a turbocharged engine.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:13 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
I have zero care for either of them, but I rather see the results five years/100k+ miles out.

The Telluride may still be on top, or it may be "nice legroom, but what a POS".

Edit, are they even the same class? The Telluride seems bigger. Are the platforms similar?

Last edited by boxus; 02-25-2020 at 10:00 AM..

Old 02-25-2020, 09:23 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,468,595 times
Kia and Hyundai are no doubt improving but I trust Toyota far more for long term reliability and safety. Look at the fatality rates for each company in NHS, Kia was producing death traps until very recently.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:32 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,041,816 times
Wonder if those NHS ratings are because until recently Kia was producing smallish cars across their line.

Old 02-25-2020, 01:12 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,930,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I have zero care for either of them, but I rather see the results five years/100k+ miles out.

The Telluride may still be on top, or it may be "nice legroom, but what a POS".

Edit, are they even the same class? The Telluride seems bigger. Are the platforms similar?
Based on Hyundai/Kia's historical powertrain performance I'd put my money on them being a "POS." I'm not here to defend the Highlander but the Telluride's powertrain is absolutely horrible. Low power, high RPM's needed for peak torque, poor fuel mileage, etc.

Old 02-25-2020, 02:30 PM

7,493 posts, read 7,162,976 times
Agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I recently checked out the Telluride and it's an amazing SUV for the money. Even at the base trim it is very well equipped and luxurious. It's basically Infiniti QX trim for Toyota Highlander money.

Old 02-25-2020, 03:54 PM

4,685 posts, read 6,136,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
Based on Hyundai/Kia's historical powertrain performance I'd put my money on them being a "POS." I'm not here to defend the Highlander but the Telluride's powertrain is absolutely horrible. Low power, high RPM's needed for peak torque, poor fuel mileage, etc.

It was meant for Fuel economy. If they put the other version of the 3.8L in it , it will get over 300HP, but then folks will be complaining it is a gas hog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive