Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 06:30 AM

6,171 posts, read 2,964,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
The story says the volunteers in the study were crossing the sidewalk.

"They came to this conclusion after asking volunteers to cross a sidewalk hundreds of times, filming and analyzing the responses by car drivers."

Why were so many cars driving on the sidewalk?
Good question!!

Furthermore, why were so many jerks walking out in front of them, trying to agitate them??

Old 02-28-2020, 06:53 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,245,915 times
From the actual study: https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...14140520300359

Quote:
The study has some limitations. First, we applied the estimated model to calculate two conditional correlations, revealing that the study needs more covariates related to crossing-specific attributes to explain yielding, e.g. typical pedestrian volume. The lack of crossing data due to video error in this study for the black male pedestrian on street 1 may result in underestimated coefficients. The study may lack generalization because we only examined two crosswalks in the Las Vegas metropolitan area, and both locations were low income neighborhoods. Additional field experiments and observational studies in various metropolitan areas and neighborhoods which differ demographically will provide a better understanding of pedestrian risk and driver yielding behaviors. All field experiments were conducted on a weekend day, so our findings may not reflect the same scenario of yielding behaviors during weekdays. We cannot ascertain any driver characteristics, feelings or beliefs given the nature of the study. We also cannot assume that drivers in either neighborhood resided there. Additionally, cost of car was a best estimate based on the average high and low values of year, make, and model.

And again, from the study, the cars that yielded for the pedestrians had a mean value of $5,900.00. The cars that did NOT yield had a mean value of $7,800.00.

Let that sink in a bit. When they are talking about "expensive cars," they are talking about cars with an average price of just a tick under 8 grand! THAT'S IT! That's not much difference than the average price of the NON-expensive cars! And we aren't talking about people with actual expensive cars! Or premium brands, as in this price range, premium branded cars CAN COST LESS than non-premium cars!

The study is HUGELY flawed in both premise and conclusion.

Old 02-28-2020, 07:33 AM

6,556 posts, read 11,179,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindraker View Post
It doesn't necessarily mean you're a jerk, it just means you have a poor sense of investing.
Really? So a car is purely an investment instrument?
Sure, if you are looking for an investment and bought a car... one can question said choice (albeit there are always exceptions).

But some people look at buying a car no different than buying a washer/dryer, toaster, or lawnmower. It's simply something they need/will use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
This week we took our cars to a local car show, and there was a half million dollar Ford GT 40 there. I said to the guy " Nice car", and he didn't give me the time of day. So, yes, some exotic car owners are really pr***s.

I was sorry I even tried to talk to him.

What was he wearing? A Polo shirt? Does that mean people who wear Polos are a-holes? What was the color of the GT? Maybe people who drive cars of that color are jerks? And of course, it was a Ford. Why stop at GT40? Maybe all Ford drivers are jerks.... see where this is going? As they say - correlation ≠ causation.

Perhaps there is a simpler explanation - maybe he's having a bad day or he just got off the phone after arguing with someone. Or, maybe he IS just a miserable jerk. The fact that he had a car that cost more than most houses has nothing to do with his personality.

Old 02-28-2020, 07:37 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,628,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
The story says the volunteers in the study were crossing the sidewalk.

"They came to this conclusion after asking volunteers to cross a sidewalk hundreds of times, filming and analyzing the responses by car drivers."

Why were so many cars driving on the sidewalk?
That's probably why they were labeled as "jerks". If they had actually driven on the road, they might have gotten a nicer label applied to them.

Old 02-28-2020, 11:17 AM

18,082 posts, read 18,674,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
From the actual study: https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...14140520300359

And again, from the study, the cars that yielded for the pedestrians had a mean value of $5,900.00. The cars that did NOT yield had a mean value of $7,800.00.

Let that sink in a bit. When they are talking about "expensive cars," they are talking about cars with an average price of just a tick under 8 grand! THAT'S IT! That's not much difference than the average price of the NON-expensive cars! And we aren't talking about people with actual expensive cars! Or premium brands, as in this price range, premium branded cars CAN COST LESS than non-premium cars!

The study is HUGELY flawed in both premise and conclusion.
So, what you are saying is the study is BS?

If so, I agree.

Seems people wanted to infer something that was not there, not supported by any evidence.

Old 02-28-2020, 11:48 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,456,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Utterly amazing that anybody would waste time or money on researching that. There are far more pressing issues to humanity, that the money could be spent on......
i wonder what money was used to fund the study

Old 02-28-2020, 11:57 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,245,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i wonder what money was used to fund the study

it was in the link to the actual study I posted.

Old 02-28-2020, 12:09 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,680,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post

What was he wearing? A Polo shirt? Does that mean people who wear Polos are a-holes? What was the color of the GT? Maybe people who drive cars of that color are jerks? And of course, it was a Ford. Why stop at GT40? Maybe all Ford drivers are jerks.... see where this is going? As they say - correlation ≠ causation.

Perhaps there is a simpler explanation - maybe he's having a bad day or he just got off the phone after arguing with someone. Or, maybe he IS just a miserable jerk. The fact that he had a car that cost more than most houses has nothing to do with his personality.
No, I have had hot rods for over 50 years and have attended tons of car events during that time. There are a certain percentage of car owners who are simply snobs, and who have the personality of a rock. Most people are more than happy for someone to approach them and talk about their car, but I have found that people who drive very expensive cars tend to look down on anyone who doesn't fit into their social bracket.

Every year there is a local event held in a very exclusive part of this area, big buck territory. These are the old guys with younger wives, driving cars they spent a lot of money on. If you try to have a conversation with one of these guys, you walk away wondering why you even tried.

Old 02-28-2020, 01:09 PM

20,956 posts, read 8,569,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
No, I have had hot rods for over 50 years and have attended tons of car events during that time. There are a certain percentage of car owners who are simply snobs, and who have the personality of a rock. Most people are more than happy for someone to approach them and talk about their car, but I have found that people who drive very expensive cars tend to look down on anyone who doesn't fit into their social bracket.

Every year there is a local event held in a very exclusive part of this area, big buck territory. These are the old guys with younger wives, driving cars they spent a lot of money on. If you try to have a conversation with one of these guys, you walk away wondering why you even tried.
Can I guess you don't live in New England?

I say that because, in general, displays of wealth are looked down upon up here (maybe RI and parts of CT aside)....

We know of locals whose family got off the Mayflower and who opened some of the first worldwide stock exchanges and such......and you cannot tell (by dress or vehicle...and often even by house) who they are.

My dad, who lived in the Miami area, came up visiting one time and it blew his mind. He couldn't find either a Mercedes nor a woman with breast implants or high heels....on the street in a busy town.

I'm sure many expensive car owners are fine and humble people. So are SOME people with jacked up pickup trucks that have loud large engines. But...if we compared the percentage of them who drove aggressively with the percentage of Honda Accord owners who did same, I'd take some bets....

I think this video illustrates a little of the point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJIAOosI6js

Old 02-28-2020, 06:40 PM

10,402 posts, read 7,488,979 times
I like the title of this thread, but my hunch is that it should be modified to say "more likely a jerk than someone who doesn't".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive