Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2020, 03:03 PM

292 posts, read 428,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangppilot View Post
Anyone know why some car rental companies are checking your credit score before renting you a car?
Last week went to Hertz to rent a car while my car was at the shop, and the lady in there refused to rent me a car because my credit score was below 600. I had two credit cards including an American Express.
Hertz and Enterprise have never done a credit check on me AFAIK, and I use a debit card. What happened to you was outrageous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
Well, two reasons. First of all, it shows if you are a responsible person, and secondly, they are handing you an expensive automobile, and if it is damaged, they want to know you are able to pay for that damage.
Credit score does not correlate to responsibility or ability to pay for damages.

Old 03-08-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Well, let me ask you this. Would you rent your car to someone with bad credit ? His insurance may only cover certain things, and he may have to pay for some, or all of it. With a sketchy credit history, you may never see your money.
Yes, I would.

Old 03-08-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangppilot View Post
Apparently if you rent in their same zip code and a 60 miles radius. After Hertz refused I called Avis and told me they do credit checks too, if I live in their same area.
Some hotels are refusing to rent rooms to local residents as well, because they sometimes use the rooms to throw parties. It's a dumb practice.

Old 03-08-2020, 04:28 PM

5,453 posts, read 6,044,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkit View Post
Some hotels are refusing to rent rooms to local residents as well, because they sometimes use the rooms to throw parties. It's a dumb practice.
Agreed

Old 03-10-2020, 08:32 AM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin2 View Post
This happened to my son a few years ago. He was 24, and had just arrived via airline. He went to the rental car desk and was denied due to his age.

It's especially interesting, because he was the pilot and still in uniform. He called me laughing and said "I just landed a 32 million dollar plane with 70 passengers aboard -- and they don't trust me with a Ford Focus."
Well those Focus's can get away from you!

Maybe your son was sipping on a Monster energy drink while at the counter!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuDN2bCIyus

Old 03-10-2020, 10:47 AM

5,453 posts, read 6,044,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Well those Focus's can get away from you!

Maybe your son was sipping on a Monster energy drink while at the counter!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuDN2bCIyus
Don't you just love his videos?

Although if it's a rental I think he tapped one pylon so he'll probably owe damages for it when it's turned in.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:26 AM

4,625 posts, read 4,892,936 times
Quote:
Well, two reasons. First of all, it shows if you are a responsible person, and secondly, they are handing you an expensive automobile, and if it is damaged, they want to know you are able to pay for that damage.
credit score has nothing to do with the ability to pay. It's not related to income.

You could have a zero credit score, but the $6 million in the bank is more than adequate to pay the deductible for a car rental.
You could have a 800 credit score, but work part time minimum wage with no savings.

Old 03-10-2020, 12:47 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,242,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
credit score has nothing to do with the ability to pay. It's not related to income.

You could have a zero credit score, but the $6 million in the bank is more than adequate to pay the deductible for a car rental.
You could have a 800 credit score, but work part time minimum wage with no savings.
Ability may not be the right word. Rather likelihood? History of you honoring past debts plus a measure of how extended you are debt wise currently.

Old 03-12-2020, 09:50 PM

37 posts, read 20,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post

I agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive