Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 07:43 PM

37 posts, read 20,794 times

Advertisements

Anyone know why some car rental companies are checking your credit score before renting you a car?
Last week went to Hertz to rent a car while my car was at the shop, and the lady in there refused to rent me a car because my credit score was below 600. I had two credit cards including an American Express.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2020, 07:57 PM

1,146 posts, read 1,400,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangppilot View Post
Anyone know why some car rental companies are checking your credit score before renting you a car?
I give up. Can't think of any reasons. Oh wait, one just came to me. Perhaps to try to find out if you are a responsible individual or not?

Old 02-28-2020, 08:32 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
With major companies, they only generally want a credit check with a debit card used for payment. If using a major credit card being used for the reservation and rental, that shouldn't be an issue. I frequently rent vehicles, and have not had a credit check, just my credit card with the required pre-authorization of the rental charge plus the $200 hold, or whatever their hold policy is, and it's never an issue. The reason why they may want a credit check with a debit card is because of incidental charges, and/or damages, that may post to the account post-rental.

It's odd that it was Hertz because I believe Dollar, which is a subsidiary of Hertz now, used to have a credit check for a debit card, but eliminated that from the policies. But, Hertz does have the credit check in its policies, likely because of the Local Edition locations that are operated by smaller franchisees without the same fleet volume and level of operating capital per unit as a larger franchisee. I think Dollar restricts cash and debit card use, however, with the no credit check policy, but provided the conditions are met, and there's a hold pre-authorization, it's not an issue. I do think there's a timing issue, i.e., the reservation must be made in advance, using the debit card, and then that's used at the time of rental.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-29-2020, 07:56 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Our credit is frozen because of some significant problems with identity theft a few years back and we've never had a problem renting cars after passing over the AmEx with the very respectable credit limit.

Old 02-29-2020, 10:34 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Last week went to Hertz to rent a car while my car was at the shop, and the lady in there refused to rent me a car because my credit score was below 600. I had two credit cards including an American Express.
I rent my cars online or over the telephone. In advance.

But note. Many diverse companies now know everything about you. Google does. Microsoft does. Amazon does. Etc.

On another note. Different subject.
I have been a Directv custome for 20 years.
I telephoned (using my cell phone) to make some changes to my stations/plan. Since I did not use my regular (registered with Directv) telephone. The customer service person stated that they needed more proof of who I was. So the CS person asked for my Social Security number. Since I have NEVER provided my SSN to Dirctv - I refused to give it to Directv. I was then transferred to "security". Here, a nice lady stated that I must provide my SSN to them in order to make any changes to my account. I refused. So then the CS security lady read me my Social Security Number and asked if that number was mine. It was.

So WHERE did this Directv CS security lady get my Social Security Number ?

Old 02-29-2020, 10:54 AM

3,318 posts, read 2,335,731 times
I've never had a rental car agency check my credit, including Hertz.

Old 02-29-2020, 11:45 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,400,285 times
Maybe mustangpilot just looks like a bad credit risk, and then they ran the credit check and found out they were right.

Old 02-29-2020, 03:36 PM

37 posts, read 20,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
I rent my cars online or over the telephone. In advance.

But note. Many diverse companies now know everything about you. Google does. Microsoft does. Amazon does. Etc.

On another note. Different subject.
I have been a Directv custome for 20 years.
I telephoned (using my cell phone) to make some changes to my stations/plan. Since I did not use my regular (registered with Directv) telephone. The customer service person stated that they needed more proof of who I was. So the CS person asked for my Social Security number. Since I have NEVER provided my SSN to Dirctv - I refused to give it to Directv. I was then transferred to "security". Here, a nice lady stated that I must provide my SSN to them in order to make any changes to my account. I refused. So then the CS security lady read me my Social Security Number and asked if that number was mine. It was.

So WHERE did this Directv CS security lady get my Social Security Number ?
The social security question is a good question.
Apparently our car insurance companies are selling our private information.
I opened a UPS account for my business few months ago, and UPS was asking for my ssn in order to confirm my identity and also my address where I used to live 30 years ago!!!

Old 02-29-2020, 05:44 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
Maybe mustangpilot just looks like a bad credit risk, and then they ran the credit check and found out they were right.
That's not how it works and a rather feeble attempt at humor.

Old 02-29-2020, 08:32 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Quote:
The social security question is a good question.
Apparently our car insurance companies are selling our private information.
I opened a UPS account for my business few months ago, and UPS was asking for my ssn in order to confirm my identity and also my address where I used to live 30 years ago!!!
More likely they got his SSN from the same credit bureau that they got his score. They also supply the places that ask questions like "what car did you own in 1985".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive